Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:20 pm

Author Topic: Aprilla rs50  (Read 2218 times)

Alarman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Aprilla rs50
« on: 12 September 2013, 07:13:47 am »
My sin wants to buy one of these. Does anyone have any experience on these bikes. Seen one on eBay for £600. It has had 10 owners and is a 2003.

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Aprilla rs50
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2013, 06:14:17 pm »
Nice little bikes, and will be a classic soon.  But it will have been abused and thrashed and blown up with ten teenagers on it.  Unless you know a lot about two strokes,  and the owner can show you evidence of a recent rebuild,  I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.  Also finding spares might well be an issue.  Most were sold in Italy. 
Head Focced

Alarman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2013, 10:48:38 am »
I thought that as well. Do you know of any other manufacturer that does a newer version of that type of bike. My son doesn't want a scooter

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2013, 01:58:55 pm »
They are very good bikes, but not really the best for a learner (assuming your son is?) to be honest. At most, you're looking at a rebuild every 8000 miles (and that is absolute tops), although being a two stroke that will only cost a couple hundred quid. You also need to warm them up every single time before you start riding them, use proper (AKA expensive) two stroke racing oil for them as well, and they properly suck petrol down. They're also pretty uncomfy (coming from a pretty flexible and fit 21 year old), and do not work in the slightest with either pillions or luggage. If you are looking at one, odds are it will have been owned by a bunch of kids that won't have a clue how to look after it, so don't buy unless there's evidence of a very recent engine rebuild.

However, get a decent one, look after it, and you'll have a great handling bike, that will be pretty damn quick when it's derestricted. I'd still say though that two strokes, particularly highly strung ones like the RS series.

To be entirely honest though (assuming your son is 16, hence why he wants a 50), unless you wait until you're 17 and get a 125 (which there are a great deal of about in various shapes and sizes) it'd probably be better off getting him a cheap scooter to nip around on anyway, or possibly some kind of 50cc dirt crosser type thing - I can't think of any 50cc sports bike types, although there are a few 125s if he's only a little bit away from turning 17 and can wait?

Alarman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2013, 06:12:37 am »
Thanks guys. Pretty much what I thought . My lad is pretty experienced. Got his first bike when he was four and raced for a couple if years. Better on an mx bike than I was .

Nick