Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:35 pm

Author Topic: Ivans jet kit question.  (Read 2017 times)

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
Ivans jet kit question.
« on: 30 July 2013, 10:27:25 pm »
I'm thinking about fitting one of Ivan's jet kits to my bike, the thing is i want to run the standard can. Would the kit work with the standard can?

Jim.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Ivans jet kit question.
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
Yup. I've been running with a standard can for the last 45 thousand miles. Everything you've read on the forum also applies to running a standard can. I haven't ridden one with a less restrictive can but even standard it is transformative. It is smoother, much better fuelled throughout the rev range, and it hangs onto the power longer at the top end.

For £110 quid and a (long) afternoon, it's the most fantastic modification.

I'm sure a full monty is all that and more, and I love hearing a bike on the pipe going down the bypass, but I don't want the police sitting there 4 miles away saying to themselves 'Ere, listen.... 1st, 70mph, 2nd he's up to 90, 3rd, that's got to be 110 eh, Bob? We'll have him when he comes round the roundabout"

Or is it just me that knows what bike is on the way by the engine note, and then counts gear changes and estimates the speed ....

ok. Just me, then.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2013, 10:55:53 pm »
Glad you're not a copper AyJay :lol

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2013, 11:02:33 pm »
Me too!

I could be submitted as evidence by the prosecution though. :lol
« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 11:03:55 pm by AyJay »

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2013, 11:02:48 pm »
That's pretty much what i was hoping, i take it i need the SO kit and not the Full Monty??

Jim.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2013, 11:07:16 pm »
Yup. I went for the SO kit, Jim. Looking back, I wish I'd taken the plunge the moment I got the bike, but it was so good as standard I left it for a long while. Still, we all like a bit of a perk up in middle age!

My mechanicking is good enough to service brakes and suspension but I leave valve clearances to the experts and if you're at the same level, fitting it is not that tricky. Apart from the getting the carbs in and out which would give the Royal Birth a run for it's money in the drama stakes. Hint: loosen the airbox and make sure it's as far back as possible. And then heave.

Falcon269 has the last word on fitting though....
« Last Edit: 30 July 2013, 11:10:30 pm by AyJay »

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2013, 11:11:50 pm »
Thanks AyJay, i did the full monty to my last fazer myself so i'm happy to do this one, i was just wondering if it was worthwhile with the standard can.

Jim.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2013, 11:31:23 pm »
Ah. No bother then!

shrekster

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2013, 12:10:34 am »
Do i need to run a K&N or similar air filter or can i use a standard one?

Jim.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2013, 08:00:55 pm »
Standard is fine....

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2013, 08:49:45 pm »
I think to get the full benefit at the top end you need to fit a free flowing can, hence it's called slip on kit.

At the time the slip on kit was developed K&N and others had yet to offer a free flow filter for the GEN1 thou, so the kit was designed with a standard filter fitted to the standard air box.

Without a free flow end can, you'll still get the same substantial improvement in low down torque, plus smoother running, less vibes, no surging etc, but you just won't get the full 10BHP increase at the top end.

By the way the GEN1 thou is not that anti-social with a free flow can.  Sure it makes plenty of noise once you open her up, but plod through towns and nobody will notice you due to the EXUP valve which really helps quieten thing doon at lower RPM.  You should try one.

Later once free flow filters became available Ivan had another look, and came up with the 'full monty' kit.  This makes use of a free flow air filter but the air box is also modified.

Mine is running the slip on kit, standard filter and free flow can.  I don't think chucking in a K&N would do any harm, my guess is that the box won't flow any extra air over a standard filter until you mod it.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2013, 11:18:05 pm »

I'm sure a full monty is all that and more, and I love hearing a bike on the pipe going down the bypass, but I don't want the police sitting there 4 miles away saying to themselves 'Ere, listen.... 1st, 70mph, 2nd he's up to 90, 3rd, that's got to be 110 eh, Bob? We'll have him when he comes round the roundabout"

Think you'll find you're short shifting :lol

Unless of course you've dropped a sprocket size :rollin
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.