Date: 25-04-24  Time: 10:37 am

Author Topic: I'm Happy  (Read 1444 times)

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
I'm Happy
« on: 11 September 2013, 12:14:51 pm »
Not really relevant to anyone else I know lol but while I was down at Poole quay last night I came to the conclusion that there wasn't a single bike there I would swap for my Fazer, there are quite a few I would have as well as but not instead of, now that is quite a result for me because I have always been a 'grass in greener' gal with pretty much every bike I have had.......I really Love my Fazer  :thumbup ....The End.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Happy
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2013, 01:39:30 pm »
I know exactly what you mean having been to the Green Welly in Tyndrum (a well known Bikers stop) three times in 10 days and saw dozens of bikes, I have also just come back from the local bike dealer and sat on a few of the following bikes.....

R1, too small and cramped, I'm 6'3

Z1000sx, more modern looking than my Gen1 but no better for the extra money,

Triumph Sprint 1050, quite comfy for my size but no hooligan element so I'm not old enough to have one yet,

Suzuki Hayabusa, rapid straight line speed but probably not as flickable as my Gen1 and ugly as fuck

Gen2, is it any better than my Gen1 with Ivans kit, Nitron rear shock, Race Tech front forks springs, dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and all set up the way I like it....... and running like a dream.

Even the sales guy with a wide variety of bikes to choose from has an 02 plate Fazer Thou.....his advice was to keep what I had and I walked straight back out with a smile on my face. :)   
« Last Edit: 11 September 2013, 01:42:42 pm by bigbluebear »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2013, 03:32:25 pm »
Yam Fazer 1000 gen 1

:)

What else do you need to say!

Just had a run to Swindon, then back the other way to Oxford. 70 miles of boring, mostly straight A roads, bit of traffic, and started to rain on the way back, so roads getting a touch greasy - still enjoyed every minute of it.

rik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2013, 08:28:55 pm »
I saw a bike at pool that I really really liked it was parked on the back road by the supermarket oo  :D it was mine

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2013, 09:57:40 pm »
I,m more than  happy with my Gen 1 Fazer's looks( like a proper motorbike)  , acceleration , handling  , fuel consumption at least 200 miles to a tank , comfort , touring ability( didn't miss a beat on my Scotland trip)  , front brakes (saved my ass a few times)  & even for a novice mechanic like me it's easy to work on .

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2013, 09:57:55 pm »
Testify!

Oh, this isn't a religious meeting, is it?

One day, someone will make a bike that betters the qualities that we have in the Gen1, but it hasn't happened yet. What qualities? For me, it goes like this

1) Perfect riding position, even with standard bars
2) Unbelievable reliability
3) Very cheap running costs for such a high performance bike
4) Very cheap to make much better
5) Revvy hooligan and torquey tourer in one engine. That's an incredibly hard trick to pull off.
6) Reasonably light and chuckable
7) Quick enough 99% of the time
8 ) Tremendous forum knowledge on tap (who runs this forum? They're doing a bloody good job)
9) Very simple to work on
10) Stealthy. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. Er, I mean a Fazer to go whanging past. (I stuffed a boy racer trying very hard on a CBR 600RR round a medium fast corner the other night. He couldn't believe it and he was hanging off like Redding)
11) Good tank range. Completely overlooked these days, but utterly vital.
12) Perfect torque curve. At least with an Ivan's jet kit. Again, very important.
13) Size. I like the lofty riding position and height. It's not mad like a KTM Adventure, but it's not an RS125 either.
14) Very benign handling. It tells you what is going on all the time. Damn near uncrashable if you ask me. I think it's the steel frame, you know.... it's got exactly the right flex in the right places.
15) I like the looks. That canted forward engine hanging out like a CBX's is cool.

If anyone from Yamaha is reading this forum for research into future models, here's my tips for the 2014 model
1) By all means add traction control and ABS, but forget riding modes. And make sure it fuels properly from new.
2) The only thing lacking from the Gen 1 engine is a bit of character but a Crossplane engine would fix it.
3) Flat torque curve. Give us more power by taking it out to 1100cc, but don't cripple it with too many revs like the Gen 1
4) Make the seat a bit longer to prevent being locked into one position on long rides.
5) I'm not a midget and can't fit on modern sports bikes. Don't make it small.
6) Tank range should not be less than 200 miles. Ever.
7) Keep the pillion cubby hole. It's useful.
8 ) Go on then, make it more economical. Petrol's bloody expensive these days.
9) Adjustable fairing/screen. No one really likes buying half a dozen screens to find the one that suits them/their helmet/riding position/usual speed range
10) Accurate fuel gauge (anyone ever ridden a bike which has one? Really?)
11) Better forks as standard. They're very expensive to replace, so make them work properly from the off.
12) Never ever do to us what you did with the design of the EXUP. It's a 24 carat pain in the neck.

And for God's sake, paint the bloody thing properly. It's by far the worst aspect of Fazer ownership, watching your bike's finish dissolve into blisters of flaking paint and corrosion. Growl.

Otherwise, look at the Gen 1 like list and replicate.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2013, 10:28:06 pm by AyJay »

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2013, 10:08:25 am »
 :sun Hear Hear AYJAY. Well writen piece. ;)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2013, 11:34:57 am »
Nice words Loz  :D

Every time my leg goes over and put the key in the ignition firing it up, what a buzz! every time! Sad to those who don't get it, normal to those that do.
where does the muffler go?