Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:10 am

Author Topic: Whiney noise  (Read 4750 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Whiney noise
« Reply #25 on: 21 October 2020, 12:23:16 pm »
B. Spend the money replacing to 2 seemly fine bearings just for the sake of it to see if that fixes things
This is a f*** load cheaper than trying to repair/replace and engine if the bearings let go.
@Gnasher does Dude have to buy genuine or will these bearings (like most bearings) have a bearing code of them so he can get a set from a reputable bearing supplier?

All quality bearings will have a code on them, usually on the thrust face of the inner or outer race.  Yamaha don't make bearings they'll buy in normally SKF, in fact there's not that many quality bearing manufacturers.   

All but impossible to get the bearings from yamaha anyway. They are all on back order...anyone would think it was a common problem 🙄
Can get the outer one from fowlers but the inner one i may have to take down to my local bearing company.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 December 2020, 04:17:27 pm »
Well just to update you guys I've finally sorted the issue. It was in fact that bearing in the casing (the one I couldn't remove)
Worked perfect fine, isn't broken or anything but once it was eventually out and spun on an air line it sounded horrendous, so quite obvious that was the issue.
Anyways new bearing ordered and installed so all good now, nice cheap fix in the end 👍🏻

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2020, 04:48:24 pm »
Anyways new bearing ordered and installed so all good now, nice cheap fix in the end
So people dont have to go through the thread, which bearing are you refering to?
  • are you refering to the bearing in the removable engine cover..? and you just popped the whole assy in the oven and once up to temp tapped the cover with a mallets and the bearing fell out.
  • or are you referring to the one inside the engine crankcase, the one at the back - if so how did you remove that..?
Also whats the bearing number (not the Yamaha part number) for the one you replaced..?

Have added this thread to the FZ1 maintenance sticky, as I recon this is a preventative task that should be done along with changing the rotor.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2020, 07:01:50 pm by b1k3rdude »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 January 2021, 09:20:24 pm »
Anyways new bearing ordered and installed so all good now, nice cheap fix in the end
So people dont have to go through the thread, which bearing are you refering to?
  • are you refering to the bearing in the removable engine cover..? and you just popped the whole assy in the oven and once up to temp tapped the cover with a mallets and the bearing fell out.
  • or are you referring to the one inside the engine crankcase, the one at the back - if so how did you remove that..?
Also whats the bearing number (not the Yamaha part number) for the one you replaced..?

Have added this thread to the FZ1 maintenance sticky, as I recon this is a preventative task that should be done along with changing the rotor.

I was referring to the bearing the engine cover side.
I just ordered the part from Fowlers (part number 93306-20124 )
I couldn't figure out how to remove it myself so I took it to my Mechanic and he took the old one out and pressed the new one in for me 👍🏻

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 January 2021, 08:53:21 am »
I was referring to the bearing the engine cover side, I just ordered the part from Fowlers (part number 93306-20124 )
So part 2 on the following parts diagram?

And you checked and didnt have have to replace the inner bearing that sits behind the starter clutch (93306-20230) part 11 on the following parts diagram?

See timestamp 5:48 in AMC's rotor replacement video.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2021, 10:17:20 am »
I was referring to the bearing the engine cover side, I just ordered the part from Fowlers (part number 93306-20124 )
So part 2 on the following parts diagram?

And you checked and didnt have have to replace the inner bearing that sits behind the starter clutch (93306-20230) part 11 on the following parts diagram?

See timestamp 5:48 in AMC's rotor replacement video.

Yes part number 2. And I didn't remove the inner bearing as it appears to be perfectly fine and now the bike is running perfectly with no whiney noise (other than from me anyway 😅)