Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:56 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 Comfort  (Read 2621 times)

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FZ1 Comfort
« on: 16 May 2020, 08:09:27 pm »
Been out on the bike a few times in the last few days and have noticed that I can only do about 40-50 miles or so before it starts to feel a little bit uncomfortable on the seat, has anyone else had this? I pull over and have to stand and walk around for 5 mins or so before I get back on, seems strange too as I have got a comfort seat...don't know...maybe it's just me getting old  :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Comfort
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 09:18:55 pm »
Well ya have to remember that it's still a sporty bike so it's not going to be the most comfortable thing in the world, it wasn't designed that way.
There are plenty of things people do to try and make them more comfortable but personally I just accept it for what it is
If I'd wanted comfort I'd have got a goldwing Haha

I do admit that the standard seat gets a bit hard after a few hours though but on the plus side I've usually ran out of fuel by that point so I get a chance to stand up while I'm refilling 🤣

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2020, 07:50:33 am »
The comfort seat I had on mine made only a little difference and Yamaha should fit them as standard, not the oak one that comes as standard, instead of rake in our hard earned money for them. You should run out of fuel before the painful numb bum sets in. I never could manage more than 90miles before I needed to refuel thirstie beasts the gen 2s. I now ride a Z1000 the same year as my gen2 was, it's got an after market seat on different bars the riding position suits me better but the seat is no more comfortable Why aren't bikes fitted with the old sofa like seats you could ride all week on them and never get a numb bum.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2020, 12:13:43 pm »

I have a Sergeant seat on my Gen1 and it makes it a bit better. What I have found is that you need to move your position while you ride. To this end I've drilled and partially tapped my crash binge and fitted 2 X 20mm grubscrews with about 5mm protruding so that I can put my feet on them on long journeys without my boots slipping off. Then if I'm feeling uncomforable in a 50 limit, I'll get a good gap to the car in front and stand up for a minute. That lets the blood flow properly round your arse and you are ok again for another 20 miles.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2020, 07:00:25 pm »
Every time I think about considering the FZ1 as a replacement for my old FZS I see crap like this. And By that I mean, shit I will have to fix if I buy one.
Is there seriously no 3rd party seat that will resolve the sore arse (or in my case sore sit-bones)..?

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2020, 08:29:51 pm »
I must admit I've been out on it today and it felt a lot better but I think that's because I've lost around half a stone  :lol

ALAKRITY

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2020, 09:30:47 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AirHawk-2-Cruiser-Motorcycle-Cushion-Airhawk/dp/B016QS9HO4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Airhawk+R-REVB+Cruiser+Large+Motorcycle+Seat+Pad&qid=1592684929&sr=8-1&tag=cb-global-21

I use an Airhawk seat. I lifts you up a bit and feels weird at first but I couldn't ride without mine.

I paid £150 after agonising about it for ages but it was money well spent. There are cheaper ones available now but I know mine has lasted ten years and is fine.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2020, 09:33:13 pm by ALAKRITY »
Listen to Radio Paradise internet radio. It will make your life better. No ads, no news, no timechecks just great music.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2020, 02:23:59 pm »
airhawks are brilliant, without a doubt. Me and the missus wouldnt have done our France/spain tour without them, and that was on a cb1300, which had a fairly well padded perch.
I had a fazer thou that we both loved, and went for a fz-1. Its what it is really, a flat barred sports bike. I tried a french 'comfort' seat, and it mullered my bollocks within ten miles. In the end I went back to a gen one. Its an old story, but sadly, its a true one for a lot of blokes. Just depends what you want out of your bike :)

ALAKRITY

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2020, 04:14:10 pm »
There is this but I'm not sure about the quality.

https://www.akkiruh.com/collections/our-products/products/kemimoto-air-pad-motorcycle-seat-cushion-cover-universal-for-cbr600-z800-z900-for-r1200gs-r1250gs-for-gsxr-600-750-for-ktm-390?variant=32171621384238

I would steer clear of memory foam and gel seats. In my experience they are expensive and don't work that well.
Listen to Radio Paradise internet radio. It will make your life better. No ads, no news, no timechecks just great music.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2020, 07:47:30 pm »
Strange thing this,I bought a comfort seat mainly for the looks and it was ok but even though it was only a bit thicker I felt I was sitting on the bike whereas with the original seat I was more in it if that makes any sense,it got to the stage where I would rather be on the bike with the std seat being a bit of a shortarse although the comfort seat with its design and graphics looked much better.In the end I took the cover off the comfort seat and put it on the std one,I left the std cover on and cut some thin pieces of foam just to take up the slack and borrowed an industrial stapler so I could pull it tight and voila! now I've got the looks of the comfort seat and for me anyway a more comfortable position.If any tallish rider wants an uncovered comfort seat then a few bob and a bit of p&p will get it. ;)
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

ALAKRITY

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2020, 10:08:59 am »
We all have a different perspective. I'm 5' 11" and the extra height of the Airhawk means my knees aren't so bent which is good for me.

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2020, 09:18:55 am »
Strange thing this,I bought a comfort seat mainly for the looks and it was ok but even though it was only a bit thicker I felt I was sitting on the bike whereas with the original seat I was more in it if that makes any sense,it got to the stage where I would rather be on the bike with the std seat being a bit of a shortarse although the comfort seat with its design and graphics looked much better.In the end I took the cover off the comfort seat and put it on the std one,I left the std cover on and cut some thin pieces of foam just to take up the slack and borrowed an industrial stapler so I could pull it tight and voila! now I've got the looks of the comfort seat and for me anyway a more comfortable position.If any tallish rider wants an uncovered comfort seat then a few bob and a bit of p&p will get it. ;)

I know exactly what you mean, same here!

/Mattias

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 June 2020, 01:27:49 pm »
There is this but I'm not sure about the quality.
Interesting, so regarding the Airhawk and the above cheaper version, I cant tell if this is quick release or not though? As I can see that getting stolen if left on the bike.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2020, 02:15:46 pm by b1k3rdude »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2020, 08:54:02 pm »
You could always opt for a pair of motorcycle specific padded shorts, like Moto Skiveez. They are cut to suit varying styles of motorbike,sports,adventure,cruiser etc. They work, or certainly do for me for 700+ mile days, and no-ones going to nick them :lol .
« Last Edit: 26 June 2020, 08:55:35 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 June 2020, 11:56:20 pm »
You could always opt for a pair of motorcycle specific padded shorts, like Moto Skiveez. They are cut to suit varying styles of motorbike,sports,adventure,cruiser etc. They work, or certainly do for me for 700+ mile days, and no-ones going to nick them :lol .

and that's a fact !! :rollin :rollin
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 June 2020, 02:21:32 pm »
Hmm, you know thats not half a bad idea, they could be come part of my base layer kit -

https://motoskiveez.com/dealers/

There are some dealers listed in the UK that may stock them, gonna give them a call just now!
« Last Edit: 27 June 2020, 02:36:42 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2020, 08:28:32 pm »
https://motoskiveez.com/dealers/
So tested these over 2x 96mile trips and all these do is move/spread the load a little, but not enough. So for me atleast this proiduct was not worth the £60 I spent on them.