Date: 18-05-24  Time: 01:47 am

Author Topic: Cheap Bluetooth recommendations?  (Read 1898 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Cheap Bluetooth recommendations?
« on: 01 January 2017, 07:07:52 pm »
Hey guys I'm after a cheap Bluetooth thingy for my helmet. Nothing fancy just something that will connect to my phone/sat nav and communicate with another rider at close range.

I'm not one for wanting distractions while I ride so it won't be used for music, it's literally just to attach to my touring helmet for when me and my Dad go on longish trips (twice a year max).

I know there are brilliant units out there by sena etc but I can't justify the expense when it's going to see little to no use. On the other end of the scale I'm thinking the £30 Chinese things are gonna be crap.

So I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience with some of the cheaper models or could possibly recommend some?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 07:09:18 pm by Dudeofrude »

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Bluetooth recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2017, 11:05:56 pm »
I can't help you with recommendations. But one of my riding buddys has one an he loves it.

He listens to music through his phone, which can be interrupted by his satnav or a phone call. He also uses the intercom when touring, which I would argue makes riding a lot safer as you have a few extra eyes around you, spotting hazards, telling you what side they are going to overtake you on etc...

The only reason I don't have one is you have to install 'speakers' inside your helmet. This won't work for me as I always wear earplugs. Instead I need to buy some moulded earplugs with in-ear speakers.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2017, 11:29:17 pm »
I have a bt intercom headset, it is quite good but not loud if you have loud pipes don't buy this one, a good point on this one is you can buy a helmet kit for about a fiver, this means you can swap the main unit from helmet to helmet without changing all the gubbins, me and the bro in law had a magic laugh on our Northern trip with these, they have a good 500metre range as well.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2017, 11:37:25 am »
The cheap Ebay ones are cracking for the money. I bought a pair for talking to the wife on back of the bike.

When Im out solo it connects to my phone no problem, listen to music, FM radio or use it Sat Nav though phone. Plenty loud enough and easy to fit. Battery lasts ages too.

Cant complain for the price and its never once let me down.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2017, 12:16:22 pm »
I wear ear plugs but can still hear the amplified speakers through them. If the earplugs are so good that they would block out all noise, isn't that a bit risky?

I got a Sena set with my Tomtom, and they packed up ages ago. I bought some cheap Chinese Sena copies which are equally as good, if not better.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2017, 12:30:30 pm »
The only reason I don't have one is you have to install 'speakers' inside your helmet. This won't work for me as I always wear earplugs.

I have a Scala Rider QZ Bluetooth headset with the speakers that mount inside the helmet. I also use good quality Howard Leight earplugs and it's still perfectly possible to hear sat nav instructions or music with them in.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2017, 04:38:30 pm »
The cheap Ebay ones are cracking for the money. I bought a pair for talking to the wife on back of the bike.

When Im out solo it connects to my phone no problem, listen to music, FM radio or use it Sat Nav though phone. Plenty loud enough and easy to fit. Battery lasts ages too.

Cant complain for the price and its never once let me down.

Any idea which ones you bought? There are a million+1 on there and it's not worth going on price alone as they all probably the same thing but in a different box haha

MMCMME

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2017, 06:08:44 pm »

This is the same type that I bought. Does what it says on the tin. Only one downside it that it can only connect to other headsets of the same type. Wont connect to any branded Sena or Scala etc.

Thats never been an issue for me as I have no friends anyway haha

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Helmet-Bluetooth-Headset-Motorbike-Intercom-Headset-3-riders-800M-UK-/161899553059?hash=item25b1f72123:g:5eYAAOSw~bFWQYcq
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 06:10:54 pm by MMCMME »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2017, 06:18:24 pm »

This is the same type that I bought. Does what it says on the tin. Only one downside it that it can only connect to other headsets of the same type. Wont connect to any branded Sena or Scala etc.

Thats never been an issue for me as I have no friends anyway haha

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Helmet-Bluetooth-Headset-Motorbike-Intercom-Headset-3-riders-800M-UK-/161899553059?hash=item25b1f72123:g:5eYAAOSw~bFWQYcq

Haha same here, too much of a miserable bastard 😐😐

That's great anyways cause my old man will be buying the same unit.
Cheers 🖒