Date: 30-04-24  Time: 09:17 am

Author Topic: Ignition Barrel/ Lock-set replacement  (Read 8182 times)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Ignition Barrel/ Lock-set replacement
« on: 13 November 2012, 11:49:47 am »
My two year old nephew decided to play a game of hide and seek with my only set of bike keys. It seems as though my only two options are to replace the ignition barrel or have a new key made by a locksmith using the existing barrel. Either way I have to remove the barrel from the yokes, unfortunately for obvious reasons, the Haynes manual and service manual have omitted any instructions on this procedure. I was wondering if any of you fellow foccers have done this or have any experience in these matters.

I have removed the dome headed bolts securing the ignition barrel cover. However it seem that there are two bolts underneath the the ignition housing that will need to be undone to remove the unit from the bike. Due to the awkward positioning of these bolts (which incidently also seem to some sort of domed bolts) what is the best way of getting them out. Please advise.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Barrel/ Lock-set replacement
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
Do you have a record of the number from the key?

If so there's a site where you can simply order a new key for about a fiver. Dead simple. Used it myself for a spare, since my bike only came with one key from the dealers, and it works great.

Check your service manual for the master key number, folks often make a record of this alongside vin numbers etc.

It'll be something fairly simple like B123

Andy

Update: The site is www.keytrader.co.uk found it on this forum after another dude recommended it.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2012, 04:52:48 pm by andybesy »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2012, 10:04:11 pm »
The only way is a drill and an easyout {screw extractor). to make this harder the bols are held in with locktite. These bolts are known as shear bolts, you keep tightening until the head shears off. Security issue to prevent what you are trying to do. The dome is what is left when the head shears off.
Remove the top Yolk to get at them which means removing the handlebars, the steering stem nut and loosening the fork clamp bolts.
Before you go doing all that, I would try what andybesy suggest or give the two year old another set of keys and see what he/she does with them.  :)

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2012, 11:23:40 pm »
unfortunately a record of the key number was not kept hence my current predicament. I've order a new lock set so  ill'e probably have a go at installing them over the weekend, thank you unfazed and andybesy for your feedback. Ps tried the breadcrumb trail with the 2 year old to no avail :(

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2012, 12:07:04 am »
You'll find the keys 10 minutes after you've spent all day removing the old and fitting the new. Betcha  :rolleyes

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2012, 08:12:51 am »
Why did you not look up ebay as there are usually  full lock set available second hand

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2012, 01:53:08 pm »
Bought an entire lock set including seat lock and petrol cap for £70, so it weren't so bad, getting the existing one off is going to be tricky. I've had my place upside down with no joy but im sure they'le turn up at some point

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2012, 12:47:19 am »
been having a little difficulty removing the yokes,  do i need to break the steering lock to get it off? please advise

Le Roi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Voxan Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2013, 08:54:56 am »
Hi,

I know its an old topic but I have a related question.

My project bike is in good nick, some small things to take care of.
One is the Ignition barrel, I only have one key and the lock works poorly.
I read that it is not uncommon for the lock to go south.
So I'm looking into replacing it with a complete set: Ignition, tank and saddle locks.
That way I will have 2 keys again and it will all be functioning.
But the thing is, the tank and saddle locks a working fine, so I think it the ignition lock itself that is worn.

If I can find a complete set I will go that way, but are there other Yamaha ignition locks which will work on a FZS600 1999 ?

Martijn