Date: 28-04-24  Time: 05:58 am

Author Topic: Straightening a bent bar.  (Read 885 times)

mac1984

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
Straightening a bent bar.
« on: 18 September 2014, 01:52:20 pm »
Had an unfortunate incident with a twat forcing me into a truck while filtering. Managed to keep the bike upright somehow but bent the left hand side so it looks like more of a clip on! Haha.
Need to straighten it so I can get home from work. Is it likely that it will work harden and snap before I can get it somewhere near the original position?

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Straightening a bent bar.
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2014, 02:44:23 pm »
Apparently the OE Fazer bars don't like being straightened too much, but you be got nothing to lose by having a go at straightening them. Just get it so the bikes rideable, get it home and replace them.
Just thank your lucky stars your still ok!:D

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2014, 03:55:04 pm »
Scafolding bar over the grip and a few fellows to hold the bike, should straighten it enough to get you home, don't over do it as it may kink or break.

mac1984

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2014, 06:06:22 pm »
Just a quick update. I used a bit of scaffold tube and a some guys to hold the bike. It started to bend back but snapped before it was in a suitable position. I kind of already knew it was going to snap being bent so far out of shape and then bent back, an aftermarket alloy bar was never going to have that.
So this evening I had the wonderful pleasure of driving home in a smart car! On the upside I have a renthal flat bar on it's way to me for tomorrow morning.
Now time for some more pain killers and off to the pub!