Date: 02-05-24  Time: 05:07 am

Author Topic: Fuel leak  (Read 869 times)

yoyo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fuel leak
« on: 09 August 2014, 07:28:24 pm »
How'do all. The Mrs FZ600 has started playing up and I'm at a loss as to what it is. Basically her bike started ok but was running rough, fuel was pouring from the overflow under the bike but also from above the carbs. I've had the float stick before causing a carb over flow leak and running the bike dry with the tank off released it but this time it's much worse. I removed the tank and started the bike, the leak stopped and the bike started to run correctly, nice and crisp what I did notice was fuel pi$$ing out of the fuel tap (even though it was turned off) and one of the breather/overflows. Any ideas? I've had the tap apart and there was a nick in the seal, I flipped it over but it's still leaking although not as much, could this cause the fuel to pour from tap and overflow the carbs or are there two separate problems?

Apologies for the long post!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2014, 09:23:30 am »
The fuel tap problem should be easy to solve.
If the tank was brimmed and then left in the sun expansion of the fuel as it warms up could be enough to push some out of the breather. Otherwise it sounds like you may have a perforated breather or drain... the two pipes pass through the tank. If it is that, repair will be difficult.

yoyo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2014, 10:09:18 am »
Cheers, I'll sort the tap first and see where that takes me, the tank was full but not brimmed and the bike was in the garage so expansion wasn't the issue (sadly) I was hoping that if the tap was leaking it was be drawing in air allowing the fuel to flow out of the breather/overflow. I've read about corroded pipes in the tank, I'm hoping if that's the case it's corroded high up so we can get away with only putting a 1/4 of a tank in at a time, she's doesn't do a lot of miles and could get away with that until a tank comes up.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2014, 01:15:47 pm »
Check your oil too. It could be contaminated with petrol

yoyo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2014, 01:30:20 pm »
Good shout, a mate had suggested the same, will check later. I'm thinking of blocking off the overflow from the tank as the bike never gets used in the rain and is parked in a garage, I'll just have to be careful when I was it.