Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:28 pm

Author Topic: new ideas about biker safety  (Read 4849 times)

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
new ideas about biker safety
« on: 05 February 2015, 10:45:16 am »
Hi guys, came across this new way of looking at biker safety the other day, it makes a lot of sense although the way it's written is a bit jargonesque.

http://nosurprise.org.uk/

One of their simple ideas really struck a chord with me yesterday while I was out riding. They are hoping to come up with some simple phrases that trigger ideas and responses (just one of their lines of development I think)  and a phrase they've come up with is cango willgo for situations where you might have a collision such as a car turning right into a sideroad as you overtake.  I'm well aware of this risk and always watch for it having lost one of our group to a drugged up french driver who turned without signalling just as he was overtaking alongside a junction.  As I was riding along I found myself saying in my head cango willgo whenever I was about to overtake a vehicle, just that simple couple of words have stuck in my head and might just be enough to save someone from making an error of judgement which they might or might not live to regret.  If you think this looks like an interesting initiative share it with your biker buddies, the more people that know about it the more momentum it gets.  I think it's still in the very early stages but I think it has great potential.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: new ideas about biker safety
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2015, 11:49:40 am »
Cango willgo is not a turm I'm familiar but a saying I always used when I was a motorcycle instructor and still use today, especially in the car, is 'Good all around observation'. I drive a large estate car with lots of blind spots and I still say it aloud much to my wifes annoyance everytime I reverse in confined areas (mostly supermarket carparks), during three point turns and at very busy junctions. As with any manoeuvre when driving or riding planning ahead is always the key and if saying phrases to yourself helps then I'm all for it. It means you're thinking and planning to deal the task ahead.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2015, 12:01:41 pm »
Interesting reading & food for thought once you get past the occasional jargon. Taking individual responsibility for own own actions/decisions is the way to go (in my humble opinion anyway!)

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2015, 12:08:23 pm »
Sounds like old ideas with just rebranding.

They talk rubbish about it being a new idea, it was just called riding defensively before. A car at a junction may pull out so you ride accordingly (defensively).

Having to say out loud 'can go will go' has just used up your time to make the decision.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2015, 12:37:29 pm »

I suppose all of these phrases to say out loud is a bit simillar to doing a running commentary like with road craft type motoring and with the added benefit that nobody can hear you talking out loud inside your bike helmet........they also cant hear you scream!
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Nightfury

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2015, 01:23:55 pm »
Having little phrases or sayings, I think, is a good thing. It stops us from becoming complacent. I use 3 sayings that my dad used to say to me when he was teaching me to drive; "Expect the unexpected." "Whats that twit doing?" and "Watch out for that idiot."
They work for me.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2015, 01:53:23 pm »
Having saying is no good unless you consciously consider what you're saying each time, otherwise it's just the brain operating parrot fashion without actual thought. If it helps then fair enough, guess each person needs to find what works best for them.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2015, 01:57:39 pm »
My 3 favourites are:

"Twat!"

"WTF??!!"

"Ouch!"

:lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2015, 02:02:33 pm »
I only have one, I find myself using it more in the summer, it's ....BITCH !

This has nothing to do with road safety  :b

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2015, 05:05:53 pm »
I didn't say you have to say it out loud I don't think, idea is to have these little sayings in your head. When you think cango, willgo it automatically triggers a thought about not passing by a junction/layby etc,   There are too many in the biking world who constantly blame others for the number of bike accidents, it is true many are the fault of others, that does not mean they could not be avoided. It's no good waking up in hospital thinking what if.  One of the real problems with biker education is there are so many who are not interested in learning, improving, making it safer. Statistically motorcycles are involved in way more accidents per vehicle/driver than anything else on the road. Something has to change.  Most bikers have had some type of training, they know how to make a bike go round a corner, they know they shouldn't overtake in certain high risk places, and they didn't do whatever caused the accident when they corneered/overtook the last time, so why did it happen this time?  More of the same kind of training won't change anything, they've already had the training. I'm all for trying something a bit different if it helps bring bike accident figures down.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
Kevin Williams runs one of the modules on the Kent fire bike ride skills days at brands Hatch!
Some say...

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2015, 06:05:59 pm »
I've got a few words I ask myself in riding/hooning. I ask am I being a dick? If I can't honestly say no it's time to tone it down a bit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2015, 08:37:32 pm »
When pedestrians randomly walk out in front of me looking the other way between vehicles, I surprise them enough with my air horn for them to have an accident in their underwear.

They started it........
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2015, 11:09:33 pm »
A long time ago I developed 3 rules for my riding on two wheels:

1) Don't assume they've seen you

2) Don't assume they'll respect your Right of Way

3) Do assume they'll do something stupid which will kill you if you don't get out of their way.

There's no point in thinking "I was in the right!" when you're flying through the air, because it won't make it hurt any less...

Estuarybiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2015, 08:44:58 am »
I usually mentally repeat "That Nissan Note occupant is about to 'ave me off!" you can replace Nissan Note with Yaris, Prius or Addison Lee etc etc. Can go will go is good. Just saying!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2015, 11:14:29 am »
There's no point in thinking "I was in the right!" when you're flying through the air, because it won't make it hurt any less...

I was only saying the other day that I'm sure a lot of accidents can be avoided.

I seen cars hitting each other where there is a dickhead turning where he shouldn't, but the bigger dickhead who has "right of way" refuses to slow/stop/react because he/she is "right" !

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2015, 11:18:00 am »
I usually mentally repeat "That Nissan Note occupant is about to 'ave me off!" you can replace Nissan Note with Yaris, Prius or Addison Lee etc etc. Can go will go is good. Just saying!

Suzuki Wagon-r :evil

Vauxhall Meriva :evil

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2015, 02:09:31 pm »
The old saying is true

"He was right and dead right as he rode along, but now he is dead as if he was wrong and dead wrong."

No point in being DEAD right  :eek

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 February 2015, 02:16:04 pm »
I just use mental bookmarks. If a car is driving erratically, I keep a sharp eye on him. I only overtake if I'm 100% happy I have room, speed and acceleration for it - not to mention an escape plan.

The safest car is the one vanishing either in front of behind you.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2015, 02:17:30 pm by ChristoT »
The Deef's apprentice

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 February 2015, 02:30:41 pm »
I just use mental bookmarks. If a car is driving erratically, I keep a sharp eye on him. I only overtake if I'm 100% happy I have room, speed and acceleration for it - not to mention an escape plan.

This is going to be good  :lurk   :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 February 2015, 03:18:09 pm »

Nope. No. No, I'm not saying a word  :tape

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2015, 08:03:01 pm »

Nope. No. No, I'm not saying a word  :tape

Must. Not. Make. Comment.

PAHAHAHAHAHAH... ESCAPE ROUTE... PAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh and god damn Honda Jazz drivers... I've yet to see one drive sensibly and at least half of them make some sort of attempt on my life

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2015, 08:05:26 pm »
Honda Jizz :evil

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2015, 09:20:12 pm »
Honda Jazz drivers reason for living is to stop bike riders falling asleep while riding  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 February 2015, 12:00:19 am »
Oh its not just on the bike, they try to kill me any time I'm in the car as well, though one did completely ignore me on a roundabout (I was on the roundabout, they were approaching) a few years ago when I had my first 600 and the old git just waved at me to say "oh sorry I just didn't bother to stop, thanks for waiting for me"