Date: 21-05-24  Time: 04:19 am

Author Topic: new ideas about biker safety  (Read 4892 times)

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: new ideas about biker safety
« Reply #25 on: 08 February 2015, 11:36:21 am »
I also use the "assume they're all trying to kill you" approach which is fine for spotting potential hazards in front / to the side, but what really scares me is the speeding "nutter from behind" who-must-get-in-front-of-you-whatever-the-cost. A couple of times I've nearly been splattered by these, which makes me worry about constantly checking my mirrors every couple of seconds, taking my attention away from the road in front.

expatmanxman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: new ideas about biker safety
« Reply #26 on: 08 February 2015, 07:09:56 pm »
The 'they're all trying to kill you' approach is an interesting one, are they really trying to kill you, I suspect not.  There's some interesting research been done by this group, things like how our accident figures compare to somewhere out in the far east where there are millions of bikes and virtually no training, the types of accident are apparently still the same, so training doesn't change the type of accidents we have. The science behind it is a bit deep at times but makes a lot of sense. It shouldn't be a case of us and them, we're all on the road together and need to learn to share it.