Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:12 pm

Author Topic: Bikevis Bullets & Posi Taps (Locks)  (Read 2654 times)

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Bikevis Bullets & Posi Taps (Locks)
« on: 04 February 2015, 02:06:53 pm »
Hey all Foccers,

So having considered if for a while, have decided to get some day time running lights,  Specifically the bikevis bullets. I see a bike go past me most days with them on and have to say, at least for me, they definitely make it more noticeable.

Now, i'm not the most mechanically/electrically minded person, but I'd really like to fit them myself, rather than pay out more to get them fitted than I did to buy them. Having researched a bit, it seems the posi taps (posi locks on some sites) seem like a good way to get the wiring attached with less hassle, however I have no idea what size I need. My thought was to tap into the side light as that's when I'd want them on, but I am stuggling to figure out the right tap/lock

Does anyone have experience with either fitting the lights, or posi taps at all who could advise?

more can be found here:  http://www.posi-products.com/assortments.html

Cheers

HJF

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Bikevis Bullets & Posi Taps (Locks)
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2015, 02:43:46 pm »
Not familiar with them Posi Locks. Have tried Scotchlocks in the past. Bit hit'n'miss, and often plagued with loose connections as time passes.

Why not just strip back a little insulation carefully with a Stanley blade, solder up the wire to be spliced in then then heat shrink or tape wrap it up?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2015, 03:13:05 pm »

They look as if they'll do the job, at least for a while. I doubt they'll cope well if they're in an exposed place.
I usually trace back to the bundle under the tank and piggy-back the new wire directly onto the connector and solder it.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2015, 03:33:48 pm »
Posi locks and Posi taps are different things. For your purposes, you need Posi taps. I use them, dead handy, much better than scotch lock :thumbup

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 03:42:48 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181548508189?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Try these above, neat tidy and simple to use.
I actually have one posi tap in use on my FZ1,when I fitted my Juicebox Pro it came with one included in the fitting kit. Better than a scotch lock but I only used it because it came with the kit.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 04:35:04 pm »
Thanks Slappy, something to consider for sure. Also thanks Rich, I have been looking all over and got somewhat confused by terms.

Cheers guys

kelly1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2015, 07:30:19 pm »
Hey all Foccers,

So having considered if for a while, have decided to get some day time running lights,  Specifically the bikevis bullets. I see a bike go past me most days with them on and have to say, at least for me, they definitely make it more noticeable.

Now, i'm not the most mechanically/electrically minded person, but I'd really like to fit them myself, rather than pay out more to get them fitted than I did to buy them. Having researched a bit, it seems the posi taps (posi locks on some sites) seem like a good way to get the wiring attached with less hassle, however I have no idea what size I need. My thought was to tap into the side light as that's when I'd want them on, but I am stuggling to figure out the right tap/lock

Does anyone have experience with either fitting the lights, or posi taps at all who could advise?

more can be found here:  http://www.posi-products.com/assortments.html

Cheers
wire them up to side lights

Larsdad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2015, 10:09:11 pm »
Hi,

I have been working in electronics / electricals for more years than I care to thin about, and have been working on harness design for the last 11 years.

DON'T USE SCOTCH LOCKS EXCEPT AS A TEMPORARY FIX.  They work by cutting through the insulation, and water will get in.  If you can't re pin a connector to tap in your wiring then the best way is to cut a window in the insulation then solder and suitably insulate.  (I like the 'SUGRU' stuff, look it up).

Have never heard of those posi things though.  Still, they may be good, I just wouldn't use them on my bike...

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2015, 09:13:53 am »
For the cost those bullet lights are a bit rubbish, you can get Cree LED spots for a similar price off Amazon or fleabay with much brighter lighting.

Agree with the above recommendations, either crimp properly or solder and insulate. Those easy type fittings will most likely fail in years to come and cause issues trying to locate the problem.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2015, 05:57:58 pm »
I've gone through several different led running lights and they all fail in bad weather, for the price of them I've given up replacing them!
Some say...

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2015, 05:50:34 am »
Never had any fail, in any weather, maybe just down to bad luck fella. Lots of China stuff comes over with poor reliability.

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2015, 10:05:41 pm »
For those who suggested wiring it into the side light, question for you. Do you mean into this http://screencast.com/t/ftrdI7kk8vj or into the main coil behind the dash?

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2015, 12:44:24 am »
do it into the sidelight itself in your picture so much easier.

My dodgy spotlights are just stripped wires pushed into the plug for main beam no time for fancy electrics.

i had running lights wired into my sidelight on my old bike with no problems.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2015, 10:28:36 am »
Is it just me that every time I see the post title  I read it as  Beavis and Butthead 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.