Date: 17-05-24  Time: 14:10 pm

Author Topic: Exhaust blowing/vibration  (Read 5070 times)

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Exhaust blowing/vibration
« on: 03 November 2014, 09:21:58 am »
Hi All,
Recently i have been overhauling my 98 fazer, i have had the whole front off looking for the cause of a vibration/noise.
I seem to have slimmed it down to possibly be from the exhaust.
It appears that where the black pipe goes into the silver can it is blowing? it is quite noisy and gets worse from 3000rpm up as if the pressure if building up and comes out of there?
Not sure if this means my exhaust is on its way out?
Also I noticed last week when standing behind the bike there is more of a fuel smell as if the exhaust isnt filtering it properly? and slightly whiter smoke? also droplets of water are coming from the two drainage holes on the underside of the can even though it has not been out in the wet? although sure this is probably just a bi product of the exhaust.
Sorry that my technical/mechanical knowledge is almost zero, but hopefully someone else has seen this as I just want to get my bike running well and enjoy riding it without the niggly little problems and noises.
Thanks

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust blowing/vibration
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2014, 12:10:55 pm »
Hi Silver,

It's not unusual to notice a bit of white smoke at this time of year as the weather changes and a few people have mentioned it. It's normally just condensation and should burn off. Go for a good 30 minute ride, or otherwise get the engine proper warmed up (not just a couple of minutes on tickover) and most likely it'll be gone, in which case it's nothing to worry about.

I think it's normal for the FZS to have a bit of a fuel smell on start-up from exhaust area, they run quite rich and I've noticed the same on mine, and others have mentioned it on this forum many times. Again, if it goes once the bike is properly warmed up then it's nothing to worry about. If you wanted to investigate it further then next step would be to check plug condition and colour.

I think (not an expert in this area) that it's normal to have a bit of back pressure from the silencer, and so I'm wondering if it's just as simple as your exhaust gasket (between link pipe and silencer, or rather if it's standard then thinking about it then it would be between the link pipe and the downpipes) is due for replacement? That's probably the first thing I would look at, as well of course as checking for corrosion around the area and any holes from which it's blowing.

Tell us more about the vibration side of things, how is it felt and how does it sound? Does it match bike's road speed or the engine speed? Have you checked the front sprocket is safely attached (they can fall off!) and the bearings are good?

Let us know how you get on and we'll take it from there. Meanwhile others more expert than I might have further views.

Andy
« Last Edit: 03 November 2014, 01:11:33 pm by andybesy »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2014, 01:46:40 pm »
+1 about white smoke.

Water is a by product of combustion and until up to temperature you'll notice a touch of white smoke and condensation, that's why the drain holes are there ;)

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2014, 08:23:09 am »
Thanks for the responses,
I think i maybe just noticed the smell and the white exhaust smoke one day but the bike had only been running for a few minutes, so like you say just warming up so probably just that.
As for the vibrations i am starting to think its got nothing to do with the exhaust.
On Saturday i stripped down the nose and checked it was all tight and fitted properly after having a buzzing/vibration starting at 3500 - 4000 revs and stays after that.
I have done the headlight mod to remove the metal cone thing over the bulb and more securely fitted the indicators, but still cant figure it out, it still seems to vibrate just as much, when i am riding and put my hand on the tank at over 4000rpm you can feel the vibration on the tank, i am not noticing anything to bad through the foot pegs although my right hand does take a bit of a beating and tingles when i get to work, which is only about a 20 minute ride from my house on normal road (not thrashing it on motorway)
I really enjoy my fazer and only bought one after long time off biking and had one years ago, but i just want to iron out the little niggles i have.
I took it to my local garage last night and they guy there said the exhaust seems fine and not blowing, the pipes are in good and no damage or rusting really.
The garage revved it up on the spot and said he couldnt hear anything but you can still pick it up when its stationary but its still there when its standing just maybe not as loud or easy to hear.
Like i said before its like a buzz/vibration at anything over 3500rpm, bit hard to explain but i have tried holding things and poking stuff while riding incase its a loose bit of fairing or something but nothing yet.
As you can see i dont really know a vast amount about mechanical bits on bikes so any advice would be helpful, even if its just "fazer do vibrate" lol
I will try my best to see if i can get a video of it, although whether you can hear it in the video is anyones guess?
thanks
« Last Edit: 04 November 2014, 08:42:37 am by Silverlegacy »

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 November 2014, 10:33:57 am »
Vibrations are a pain to nail down, I had them and found it was the fairing buzzing off the frame. Some foam pads cured it and no more hand tingling.

I have heard on other posts about actually loosening the front tank mount a touch to allow the rubber mount to absorb the vibes. If its too tight the vibes pass through to the body.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 November 2014, 10:42:53 am »
Thanks for that,
I have just started her up at work, although i am still looking at checking a few bits, the exhaust thing is still puzzling me, It still sounds different and although the guy at the garage said it was ok, it just doesnt seem right and i have looked on here for people with similar issues and it sounds like part of it could be a problem with the exhaust.
I kindly borrowed this picture off another post relating to the exhaust issue. (the note on the picture is from the original post, mine does not grind or rattle, just vibrate blow)
I might have to do a full front fairing strip down again to see what i can find, although i am pretty sure that when i did it on Saturday when it was all off that i started the bike with everything off the front and the vibration still seemed to be there?
Could that blowing from that section of the exhaust cause vibration? and i wonder if i just took the exhaust off and tried running the bike to see if vibes had gone if that would help, as not sure how the bike would run without the can on?
I can appreciate its a 98 model bike so getting on a bit now so cant expect perfection but its been pretty well looked after by the looks of her and i want to keep her if i can.
I doubt there is any other Fazer owners near me in Cannock Staffs?
« Last Edit: 04 November 2014, 10:54:19 am by Silverlegacy »

robin78842

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FJR 1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2014, 11:12:17 am »
Can you not wrap an exhaust bandage around it just to see if it make it quiet.  If it does look for an exhaust.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2014, 11:18:18 am »
I think a few people who seem to have had similar experiences have used silicone? they say a small bead of that around the pipe seems to stop the blow, as long as you leave the drainage holes underneath open.
Might be worth a shot i guess, I will have a look at lunch time see what i can come up with here.
I think i might be trying to attack the problem from every angle at once rather than maybe trying to eliminate each one.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2014, 12:15:49 pm »
The standard exhaust cans including fixed link pipe are cheap on ebay if you wanted to try another, but yes try sealant or wrap first.

I'm actually just over in Derby not far away, happy to nip over some time if you just want to compare standard exhausts but I'm no expert and so rather not take anything apart.

Andy

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2014, 12:23:48 pm »
cheers Andy,
I will give a go sealing it and see what happens next.
I kind of try and avoid actually taking things apart as to be honest, the amount of tools i own doubled in size when i bought my fazer and found the under seat tool kit, so probably not the best equipped to start tinkering.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2014, 01:42:41 pm »
I had a little look at the bike at lunch and checked a few little nuts and bolts and stuff and found some sealant (kind of like blue tack) to try wrapping around the bottom of exhaust.
I tried this as you can see from the pictures just to try running the engine for a few minutes, the vibrations did seem to cut down alittle bit only a bit, but i noticed that after running the bike for only a few minutes that it was producing a bit of water dripping from the hole under the exhaust, its a bit hard to see in the picture but i cant see how the bike would normally produce this much running normally? i ride to work in the dry this morning and it hasnt rained since then? unless it could be moisture build up from when i stopped using the bike until now?
Still a bit stumped as to what it is then?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 November 2014, 07:23:51 am »
Don't worry about it. It's normal that's why that drain hole is there.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2014, 08:21:32 am »
I think i was more concerned that after i sealed up around the connecting pipe that goes into the can that it seems to leak water more?
I cant seem to find a definitive answer as to whether it should blow around that pipe or not, although i know not to tamper with the drain holes.

Although last few days riding it home i have noticed that the vibrations/noise seems worse?
so maybe i disturbed something when i took the nose cone off and put it back on.
Its starts buzzing/vibrating at around 3000/4000 and stays after that through out. if i pull the clutch in it goes away.
The noise is there if stationary and revved just not as clear.
I have tried to narrow down where its coming from but with no luck as yet.
I know people say the headlights are rubbish and to remove that metal cone covering the bulb which i have done and still no difference.
In my earlier post i said that i had taken it to my local motorcycle garage and he had a look at it and said it seemed fine and he s pretty genuine, although starting to think i should maybe book it in for him to test ride it as i am sure he would hear that there is a problem.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2014, 09:01:32 am »
It shouldn't come out around that join but if it does it won't have any major effect apart from a bit of extra noise. Just for a laugh hold a rag over the end of the exhaust can and give the engine a rev. There'll be water flying out of that drain hole. It's nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you get another can there's loads of them for sale, you'd probably get a good used one cheap.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 November 2014, 09:21:20 am »
cheers, i did put that stuff around the hole (in picture) and more water came out than normal.
Im just not sure if that blowing from the gap is causing any of the buzzing/vibration?
Its a great bike and it good condition and its pretty much the last niggly thing i need to sort, but the buzzing it getting pretty bad and block out the general bike noise/engine noise and sounds terrible.
I might have a look and see if i can pick up another exhaust  as they seem pretty cheap on ebay.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 November 2014, 10:32:30 am »
Update -
I decided to strip down the front again this morning to see if i could find anything that i had missed before.
I took it for a quick test ride without the front on and the vibes/buzz seem alot less, possibly some is coming from exhaust but i think now that most of it is coming from the front fairing, although now is the hard part trying to figure out which bits are causing it.
It obviously has modified clocks, to add a analogue time clock and a temperature gauge but they seem sound enough and well fitted.
I will check all the wiring is secure and see if i can put any foam pads around any framework i might think is causing the vibrations.
Not sure if anyone else has had any experiences with the front fairings and noise levels?
if it keeps annoying me i might have to go for a conversion to unfaired, but i wouldnt really want to as i do like the bike they way it is, albeit a bit odd looking, but i think that's what makes it what it is.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2014, 09:23:42 pm »
Still trying to find an answe to the exhaust question.
Has anyone got a 98 model to check exhaust, (might be later models too)
Just need to see if the exhaust blows out of the gap where the black pipe goes into the silver end can.
I know there are drainage holes underneath but I mean the circular gap around the pipe that the end slips over link pipe?

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2014, 10:49:17 am »
Mine blows around there, have thought about putting some silicon as already mentioned by others, but it worries me so much I have not bothered  :rolleyes

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2014, 11:05:19 am »
I spoke to a a tech guy at CMC Cannock and at Nottingham and they said it probably shouldnt blow through there, but they wanted to look at it to see for sure.
Although I did another check earlier about the noise and decided to check over the headlight assembly again, i took the rubbers off and the bulbs and and started the bike, on the main beam side you can really hear the buzzing from there, so starting to think that the silver reflector inside has worked loose somehow or just needs securing to stop the vibration  and buzzing.
Although the exhaust thing still bugs me and just want me bike to actually sound like a bike, not like a buzzing noisy mess.
Maybe I should try the silicone thing see if it helps for now before i decide to try and find a replacement exhaust, a bit worried about ebay as dont want to really buy one that's worse than the one i already got on.
I appreciate any comments and help though.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2014, 11:43:26 am »
If the connection is slightly loose, just cut a slot lengthways in the end about 2mm thick and use a jubilee clip to tighten the pipe onto the link pipe.

A smear of silicone is always good anyway to seal exhaust joints.