Date: 27-04-24  Time: 13:22 pm

Author Topic: Tempreture gauge  (Read 1166 times)

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Tempreture gauge
« on: 09 April 2017, 03:04:33 am »
I have a 2002 model and as I'm sure you all know, these are not fitted with a temp gauge, just a small light. I've never seen this come on (I would assume it would when turning on ignition, as a test?) so don't even know if it works. Took the bike out yesterday for a couple of hours (nice warm day) and noticed after riding that the fan wasn't on (something I will investigate very soon).

This got me wondering and wishing the bike was actually fitted with a gauge, rather than a stupid light, so wondering if anyone could recommend one that will be suitable for these bikes?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Tempreture gauge
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2017, 09:05:15 am »
Don't worry about it, there are people on this forum that have never even heard their fan come on before.
As long as you know there's the proper amount of coolant in the bike then the fan will only come on in extreme situations.
When the bike's cold check the coolant level in the expansion tank under the right side of the seat when on level ground on the centre stand.

If you've never done it before, buy some Radflush and give the coolant system a proper clean up then refill properly with a decent bike coolant for peace of mind. Once it's all working fine and you have an airtight system with no leaks you rarely even have to top it up.
But you can easily check the expansion tank level visually to make sure all is well without pulling the bike apart.
Once the bike cools down the level should more or less stay the same, i fill mine up just below the upper level on the expansion tank, and right to the top by the radiator cap.

Some people prefer to mix their own coolant, i've always found this stuff to be spot on and premixed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-Motocool-Expert-Ready-To-Use-Motorcycle-Cooling-Liquid-1-Litre-1L-/161266933598?hash=item258c421f5e:g:DWcAAOSwxehXPD2n
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2017, 10:42:27 am »

One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391359656796 would probably do so long as you can find a way of mounting the display where it won’t get wet.
As Darrsi says, so long as the coolant is at the correct level, don’t worry. The fan only comes on if the engine is running for ages on a very hot day and the bike is stationary.
I took the fan off mine 5 years ago and to date have only once been stuck in traffic so badly that I’ve switched the engine off as a precaution.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2017, 11:11:06 am »
Funny - I have just posted about the very same subject here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,22298.msg257889.html#msg257889 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2017, 12:04:21 pm »
The cooling system is obviously very efficient on these bikes.
The fan will come on, but only when it's needed, which is quite rare. My previous bike had a fan which was much more sensitive and would switch on all the time, but that's not a bad thing, it's just doing its job.
Mine has come on when i've been doing a carb balance in warm weather with the bike ticking over for quite a while until i've got the carbs spot on.

tangoflash

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2017, 12:29:04 pm »
Thanks guys. Makes me feel a lot better. Was just a bit concerned, as my other ride is a 2-stroke scooter and when the fan packed up on that, I was at boiling point within 5 mins. These obviously have a much better cooling system, which is good to hear

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2017, 12:18:16 pm »
I had the same thought and fitted a gauge. Posted details on here two or three years ago I think. I fitted the probe in place of the warning light probe but the gauge i happened to have was fitted with a high temperature warning contact so still got that feature. I also fitted a manual switch alongside the gauge so I can switch the fan on at a lower temperature. I have only ever used to switch just to hear the fan run and check it still works!
Nice to see but all unnecessary as I have never seen  the temperature get above 85 deg. C. when travelling and occasionally up to 90 in heavy traffic on a warm day. A few minutes after stopping on a really warm day it has been known to reach nearly 95 as the heat from the engine soaks into the water without any air flow or water circulating.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2017, 07:39:03 am »
I had the same thought and fitted a gauge. Posted details on here two or three years ago I think. I fitted the probe in place of the warning light probe but the gauge i happened to have was fitted with a high temperature warning contact so still got that feature. I also fitted a manual switch alongside the gauge so I can switch the fan on at a lower temperature. I have only ever used to switch just to hear the fan run and check it still works!
Nice to see but all unnecessary as I have never seen  the temperature get above 85 deg. C. when travelling and occasionally up to 90 in heavy traffic on a warm day. A few minutes after stopping on a really warm day it has been known to reach nearly 95 as the heat from the engine soaks into the water without any air flow or water circulating.

"...I have only ever used the switch to see if the fan works..."  :lol :thumbup