Date: 21-05-24  Time: 22:47 pm

Author Topic: Won't Start  (Read 2549 times)

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
Won't Start
« on: 08 June 2013, 03:02:30 pm »
Hi everyone new member to the site who needs help,i have a 1999 fazer 600 which won't start i've replaced the battery with a brand new one,and also replaced the starter relay again with a new one. All i get when i press the button is the starter relay clicking.
          Any advice on what to do gratefully recieved thanks

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2013, 03:38:50 pm »
Did you charge the new battery? Are all the connections tight? Have you tried a push start? Has the bike being sitting up for a long time?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2013, 03:49:52 pm »
Fuel tap "ON" ?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dcock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2013, 04:01:14 pm »
When was the last time the bike was started? And what has happened between it last starting and when you first couldn't start it? Did you do some work on it or has it just been standing? If it's just been standing it could be either a fueling issue or battery issue. Like the post earlier, check the terminal are tight on the battery, check you have fuel in the tank and that it's on the on position under the tank and give it ago. Let us know if you hear the bike cranking over or just the ticking noise again. If it's not cranking over with a new battery you may be looking at a starter motor issue. Good luck.

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2013, 08:51:53 pm »
Did you charge the new battery? Are all the connections tight? Have you tried a push start? Has the bike being sitting up for a long time?
Hi yes did charge the new battery,and i've made sure all cooections are tight did notice that screw on starter relay to battery was loose after tightening had to add a washer.push start got it going this afternoon left it to tick over for 5 mins switched off then switched back on tried the button but just got the relay clicking again tried 5mins later andit went on the button.
Bike is never left sitting up its my daily transport

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2013, 08:53:34 pm »
Fuel tap "ON" ?
Hi yes fuel tap is "ON"

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
When was the last time the bike was started? And what has happened between it last starting and when you first couldn't start it? Did you do some work on it or has it just been standing? If it's just been standing it could be either a fueling issue or battery issue. Like the post earlier, check the terminal are tight on the battery, check you have fuel in the tank and that it's on the on position under the tank and give it ago. Let us know if you hear the bike cranking over or just the ticking noise again. If it's not cranking over with a new battery you may be looking at a starter motor issue. Good luck.
Hi I used the bike last monday 3rd of june had to bump start it twice whilst i was out on it no work has been done on it and the bike is never left standing up its used almost everyday.
terminals are tight
full tank of fuel
in the on position
did manage to get it started with a bump start this afternoon left it to tick over for 5 mins turned it off then on again tried the button but just got the clicking noise again put bike back in garage put sidepanels ,seat etc back on tried the button again and it fired,now leaving it to see what it does in the morning

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2013, 09:11:40 pm »
if it was my bike, i`d say faulty / sticky starter motor and rip out and replace....buts that`s `my bike` choice is yours mate. good luck !! ;)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2013, 03:36:05 am »
could be the stater as ade says. try giving it a few hits with a hammer as you press the starter button. if the engine turns over when you hit it with the hammer then you know the starter is the problem and you'll have to take it out and clean and inspect it.  it should rotate freely by hand when it's off the bike. wouldn't think about replacing it until you've taken it apart and checked it.

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2013, 04:42:11 pm »
Hi All
      Thanks for all your help with idea's as whats wrong with my bike.Thought i'd sorted it Saturday afternoon as i got it to start on the button everytime by the end of the afternoon,and it even went Sunday morning,so took it out for a ride.
      Just got home from work this afternoon tried it again and just got the relay clicking,so tried rocking the bike in gear,what you'd do if the starter motors stuck after this it started,which is leading me to believe it s the starter motor thats at fault.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2013, 04:47:04 pm »
all pointing to starter motor......give it a good strip,inspect and clean  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2013, 05:24:36 pm »
+1 sounds like it could be worn or stuck brushes in the starter motor.
Andy

coolhandluke

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2013, 06:38:26 pm »
i had the same trouble n replaced the battery and all it was, was a blown fuse in the housing next to the battery. have you checked that out?

Luke.

Manxfazerboy61

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZS 600 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2013, 07:32:18 pm »
Just been to my garage to try it again got the clicking noise,so tapped starter motor with hammer handle,tried again and away she went fired straight up,so it looks highly likely its the starter motor,will be taking it off and inspecting at the weekend.