Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:28 pm

Author Topic: [Solved] Jet blocked?  (Read 1592 times)

spyder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vespa et4
    • View Profile
[Solved] Jet blocked?
« on: 07 August 2014, 05:21:26 pm »
Removing the carbs cos of persistent misfiring at small throttle openings that no bike shop found problem with, I found 3 things. 1), that the pilot screw on one carb had fallen out onto the crankcase and 2) that some carb pilots were 4 turns out, others 2-2.5 and that 3) some jets might be blocked. Miracle it was running,really.Now I don't know what these jets are called.  , I don't think this is the one with the needle. I don't even think it's meant to have a hole in it but the guy down the bike shop's told me to unblock it with fine wire. I've tried, it's impossible. Another carb's got the same "problem, haven't looked at the other 2 yet. Can someone tell me if there is really meant to be a hole here? It looks to me like there never was  one, only a brass conical bowl-shape.  If both are blocked I can't see how the engine could have run as well as it did.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2014, 08:13:51 pm by spyder »

Craiginuk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Jet blocked?
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
One of the "jets" in there is in fact a blanking plug. You should have 2 jets to unblock. One is the main jet, the other is the pilot jet. Sounds like you are looking at the blanking plug.

spyder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vespa et4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2014, 08:22:04 pm »
Yes! Thank you, that's what I thought but I've never come across a blanking plug in a carb. Neither's the guy in the bike shop, it seems......The manual says its size "0" so I thought as much.  I'm ready to put it all back together now.

spyder

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vespa et4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2014, 08:03:21 pm »
It works! Pulls smoothly like never before! Can go round slow corners in town in second without feeling like it's going to throw me off. Was going to get rid of since no one agreed there was a problem. But how can 2 places claim to have balanced carbs and  not notice  the settings are wrong, with one jet even dropping out??????? I knew there was a reason why I always used to do things myself. :D

Craiginuk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Jet blocked?
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2014, 08:14:45 pm »
Great news!