Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:26 pm

Author Topic: "New" Fazer - already in for a fettle! Advice needed.  (Read 1806 times)

Gryph

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
"New" Fazer - already in for a fettle! Advice needed.
« on: 24 February 2014, 10:02:25 pm »
So after running around on Thundercats and then SV650's for a while, I picked up a '01 FZS600 here in Cardiff, and if I'm honest, compared to my last couple of bikes (sheds) this one's been treated right, and I'm looking to keep her that way! Aside from a blow on the downpipes and a squared off rear, she's been looked after and generally rides rather nicely.

http://imgur.com/iVoazeG

First thing was adjust the clutch, which I was pretty used to off the Thundercat - screw was a bit tight to start with, but seems miles better now if not still a little snatchy. At the same time, I thought I'd check behind the sprocket cover and look at the front sprocket nut that everyone was talking about.

I'm guessing this is the 9mil nut that's the bane of all fzs owner's existence, though thought I'd throw it on here first for confirmation. Seems solid at the moment, however if recommended would certainly look at changing - what say ye?

The second thing I looked at was more commuting-based, as whilst I don't like the weight or bulk of engine bars, a daily run into and out of Central Cardiff would be tempting fate without them - as such, scored a set of Genuine yamaha jobbies - however they've arrived without the fittings being a secondhand purchase - what am I going to need bolt-wise to get them on?

Believe it's exactly the same set as these here if it's any help! http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/original-fzs600-sturzbuegel-5dm-w0741-00-neu-ovp/173493263-222-4719

Next jobs include an imminent K&N, looking at some SS downpipes, and the headlight mod, as well as a new set of PR 3's. The two points above (crash bars especially) are more urgent however, so any advice is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 10:05:51 pm by Gryph »
Suck. Squeeze. Bang. Blow.
Current ride: '01 FZS600 '99 SV650 S
Gone but not forgotten: Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha TZR

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: "New" Fazer - already in for a fettle! Advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2014, 10:21:56 pm »
Hey geezer welcome to Foc-u.....& welcome to yet another Welsh member (check out the meet & greet & rideout section this summer  ;) ).

Firstly that looks like the old, small, inferior sprocket nut....it is the thickness...width that matters, so my wife tells me anyway :b ......you can see in the pic there's still quite a few threads left so not many threads holding it on...fair play for already researching it though....most folk find it a surprise...the updated one will sit almost flush and for a tenner it is oeace of mind if nothing else.

Well done getting the crash bars.....plenty of us 600 guys binning our bikes last year.....as it happens i just took delivery of an old rentec set from member apage, i've just slapped some silver hammerite on them.....they're different to your ones but surely the big bolts still apply...if any use to you i've taken a pic.

I wont be fitting mine until thursday at the earliest but im happy to help where possible but fingers crossed someone with your exact bars will know better or maybe a link to the fitting kit.

Apart from that, have fun & enjoy the site, get stuck in.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Gryph

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: "New" Fazer - already in for a fettle! Advice needed.
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2014, 04:59:51 pm »
Aha, makes sense! Will look at that nut for sure, I know we moto for one sell it, else I'm guessing the next bet would be South Wales superbikes.

If all else fails will use that snap as a guide (or even look at a renntech kit? Mounts look identical) but would appreciate advice if anyone has a Yamaha kit, or put together a renntech fittment from scratch - don't want to foc about with the bolts that'll hopefully hold my bike up if the worst happens!
Suck. Squeeze. Bang. Blow.
Current ride: '01 FZS600 '99 SV650 S
Gone but not forgotten: Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha TZR