Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:38 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 257921 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #925 on: 23 June 2013, 07:59:33 pm »
...fkn sod int it?...ile get you that fuel pump relay sorted if you want?..mabe give that a try!..dont think its the mixture screws though paul?...it was boggin with them set to 5 before you adjusted to factory!!...could be wrong but seems excessive dont you think?..usualy when they are set in factory that is normaly a starting point,ie 2.5turns out,then mabe a small tweak either way of that setting point to get things  into spec!...but 5 turns seems alot ?....but if it is i am wrong and it does need 5turns thats one rich mother fucker runnin engine you got there!!! pm me you address again and ile pop that relay in post for you! ..give it a try ?..you never know :rolleyes ....

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: 23 June 2013, 08:07:55 pm »
This bike is turning into a nightmare. Might be time to give it to a mechanic. Fresh eyes and all that

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: 23 June 2013, 08:19:05 pm »
...fkn sod int it?...ile get you that fuel pump relay sorted if you want?..mabe give that a try!..dont think its the mixture screws though paul?...it was boggin with them set to 5 before you adjusted to factory!!...could be wrong but seems excessive dont you think?..usualy when they are set in factory that is normaly a starting point,ie 2.5turns out,then mabe a small tweak either way of that setting point to get things  into spec!...but 5 turns seems alot ?....but if it is i am wrong and it does need 5turns thats one rich mother fucker runnin engine you got there!!! pm me you address again and ile pop that relay in post for you! ..give it a try ?..you never know :rolleyes ....

yes , 5 turns is a lot,was on that for 40000 miles no problems...just dos`nt make sense,it is getting better though so i must be doing something right.....i`ll let you know on that relay matey,thanks for the offer.
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: 23 June 2013, 08:24:12 pm »
This bike is turning into a nightmare. Might be time to give it to a mechanic. Fresh eyes and all that

been thinking the same dude....have a friend who has his own workshop,top man,did ask him in the early days , he said pick-up coil,he was the bloke who checked the carbs for me,i asked him to sonic clean them but he gave me them back saying "no point"........might go up and see him  ;)

bet its something simple  :rolleyes

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: 23 June 2013, 08:28:32 pm »
That's disappointing... only partly cured. :( 
At least the fact that it revs OK with no load implies the sparks are good now. The remaining problem certainly sounds like air or fuel in short supply.
I too find your slow jet settings a bit of a puzzle, all three sets of carbs I've had have run fine on with the adjuster set to slightly less than 2 turns. I'm currently overhauling the set I pulled out a few weeks back. When I've got them fettled you're welcome to borrow them for diagnostic purposes.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: 23 June 2013, 08:39:00 pm »
That's disappointing... only partly cured. :( 
At least the fact that it revs OK with no load implies the sparks are good now. The remaining problem certainly sounds like air or fuel in short supply.
I too find your slow jet settings a bit of a puzzle, all three sets of carbs I've had have run fine on with the adjuster set to slightly less than 2 turns. I'm currently overhauling the set I pulled out a few weeks back. When I've got them fettled you're welcome to borrow them for diagnostic purposes.

your a top man FAZERIDER....bought my own spare set last year but turned out to be bad,CRH helped me out with another set which made no difference too stutter,had my origanal set look at by local mechanic friend and found no problems..
iam with you on "air or fuel in short supply" and as i have improved things with the recent changes iam going to bypass the pump and filter ,ive fitted a new k&n filter but will take it out to see what difference it makes..
          before i do anything iam going to read through this whole thread and take notes as i go......iam sure the answers in there somewhere  ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 23 June 2013, 08:59:03 pm »

Sounds as though you may have enough carb sets to be going on with for the moment then. The jets on mine will be OK once I've cleaned the silt and corrosion out, but the sliders are worn so throttle response will never be brilliant... they're just an emergency spare set.
... iam going to read through this whole thread and take notes as i go...
You'll have a chuckle at page 4 (I think it was).
Some plonker told you the pickup coil would have nothing to do with the stutter.
Ahem. :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 23 June 2013, 09:26:58 pm »

Sounds as though you may have enough carb sets to be going on with for the moment then. The jets on mine will be OK once I've cleaned the silt and corrosion out, but the sliders are worn so throttle response will never be brilliant... they're just an emergency spare set.
... iam going to read through this whole thread and take notes as i go...
You'll have a chuckle at page 4 (I think it was).
Some plonker told you the pickup coil would have nothing to do with the stutter.
Ahem. :o

ah yes  :lol ....stutter at 8000 back then.i must be close or was it just getting worse  :rolleyes ......noticed i was fitting the bathroom back then....still not finished  :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: 30 June 2013, 11:30:17 am »
been having a play over the last couple of days,on the verge of putting the bike into my mates garage for him to sort out but thought i would just check the things i have done including the mixture screws,i can just about adjust all four with carbs on the bike but slipped the carbs off just to make sure....best settings are 2.25 and ive taken the new k+n out and refitted the old hiflo filter and there is an improvement......worse with air filter out...going to check carb balance next to see what that tells me........back of my mine iam thinking ....rolling road,dyno  :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 30 June 2013, 12:28:55 pm »
This is where i get my bike Dyno'd, the fella Nick in there is more like a bike surgeon, he's very good.

http://pdq1.com/services/
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 30 June 2013, 07:31:12 pm »
This is where i get my bike Dyno'd, the fella Nick in there is more like a bike surgeon, he's very good.

http://pdq1.com/services/

thanks darrsi.....i remembered you saying you used them and not far from me  :) ...might go over and have a chat  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 30 June 2013, 07:46:52 pm »
Either pop down and have a chat or even phone them, they're extremely helpful over the phone as well.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 05 July 2013, 07:09:48 am »
Have you started to read through all this again yet Red98? What chapter are you up to? Personally, I found the plot to be a bit thin, but the characters are almost believable...oh, and someone's nicked the last page - bastards!  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 05 July 2013, 07:44:39 am »
Have you started to read through all this again yet Red98? What chapter are you up to? Personally, I found the plot to be a bit thin, but the characters are almost believable...oh, and someone's nicked the last page - bastards!  :lol

He's leaving himself open for a sequel......  :)

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 05 July 2013, 08:50:07 am »
Do you think the sequel will be titled stutttttttering fzs1000 in silver or is that to obvious...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 05 July 2013, 08:56:14 am »
Do you think the sequel will be titled stutttttttering fzs1000 in silver or is that to obvious...

iam a bit worried about that....they do share the same stable  :eek :eek .....busy at work now,7 day week  :rolleyes ....but will take "the stuttering one" in soon.....possibly when iam on holiday,they can have it for two weeks then  ;)   

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 05 July 2013, 09:03:53 am »
Ye tell me about it only chance I get to ride my bike is to and from work. On nights Monday so I might be able to get out in the morning if I can find an excuse not to finish the back bedroom before we're away at the end of the month.

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 05 July 2013, 04:38:48 pm »
I have a stutter/ bogging issue when warm mainly since changing the oil and draining the excess !!! And fitting a new filter itnow bogs between 7, 000 and 10,000 plugs didn't sort it either carb balance next week and see what happens hope you get it sorted :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: 05 July 2013, 06:54:46 pm »
Did you change the air filter as well?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 05 July 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
swapped and changed the air filter on "the stuttering one" and it does make a difference...took the new K+N out and put the hiflo in and it did run better.slight improvement without filter ....i have standard can on mine,if you have K+N and after market can/system iam sure a rolling road and rejet will squeeze a few more horses from this lump  :D .....i have an old suzuki gt250 x7 with microns spannies and k+n filters and no air box.re-jetting two sizes up made a hell of a difference  :D :D :D :D  lifts front wheel in second just on the throttle...scared the living daylights out of me the first time  :eek :lol 

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: 07 July 2013, 10:45:30 am »

If its for me I fitted a new air filter new new oil and filter new oil new plugs and trimmed the leads.

I have also drained the carbs I would say all the above has made it slightly better but not perfect.

It has to be the carbs as it was fine until the air filter was changed and the oil drained it did have 3.5 litres above the max !!!!!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: 07 July 2013, 01:24:40 pm »

If its for me I fitted a new air filter new new oil and filter new oil new plugs and trimmed the leads.

I have also drained the carbs I would say all the above has made it slightly better but not perfect.

It has to be the carbs as it was fine until the air filter was changed and the oil drained it did have 3.5 litres above the max !!!!!!!

As in SIX litres?

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: 07 July 2013, 11:21:31 pm »
Yeah I drained 3.5 out to drop it to the max :-[

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: 08 July 2013, 11:32:45 am »
Just a general observation for anybody chasing a misfire or stutter. During my investigation I cleaned my carbs, replaced my plugs, replaced fuel filter, cut back my ignition leads did a carb balance none of which did anything. My symptoms only came to light after riding the bike hard for a few miles and then she would misfire on hard throttle at low revs. I would recommend anybody who has a misfire symptom to replace the plug caps. You can get 4 NGK replacements for less than a tenner.
Another possible red herring symptom is a rough idle. I have a K+N filter and a Beowolf end can with baffle in. Even after doing all of the above my bike still doesn't idle smoothly but rides great so I'm not worrying about it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: 11 July 2013, 06:59:11 am »
ok.....change of plan,ive bought a complete running/motd/taxed spares bike as a "parts swapper bike" for "the stuttering one",needs a bit of fettling to make sure all is ok and then the swapping will begin.....not sure yet where iam going to start  :o ....a bit of thinking time at work today me thinks  ;)