Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:28 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 258106 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #825 on: 17 October 2012, 11:04:08 am »
well i wouldn,t bother getting your trailer out red?....never seen so much rust on a bike in me life!! dont know who this fella trying to kid??...yes engine ran has he said very sweet!!...did not mention the amount of blue smoke it kicks out though?....he did say though it had been garaged all its life,and yes" he may have been telling the truth?...just wondering though?..how long the garage sat without a roof :rolleyes .....he then asked me for a grand plus my thou :eek ...told him to go away in large jerky movements! ;) ...without costing it out fully?..it needs a full restoration ,even the frames starting to rot through under the seat!!...you would end up out of pocket on this one? and the one he,s throwing in for spares is no better?..said the engine was a good runner?..couldnt even turn it over!!....and the best yet is the commando? :rolleyes ....i would be ashamed to even ride it!! :eek ...biggest load a crap ive ever seen,..and get this? he wants 4k for it, makes mine worth about 20k going on that!! :lol ...so think ile stick with the thou f now and get it finished over winter!! how you getting on with the 6.?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 17 October 2012, 12:24:52 pm »
hi crh ,trailer now back in the garage :( ...thats a bit disapointing and a bit cheeky asking for your bike and a grand  :eek ...a full restoration like that will always cost more than the bikes worth  :rolleyes  you done the best thing,just walk away  ;)
 ive just reassembled the 600 and pushed too one corner of the garage as i need to fit a new roof  :rolleyes  hope to make a start this weekend weather permitting :rolleyes  nice clean and tidy garage at moment  :D
 next job on the 600 is too by-pass the fuel pump and see what happens,after that maybe the jets  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: 02 November 2012, 11:19:50 am »
not posted on this thread for a while :\ ....been putting a new roof on my garage,weather permitting should finish it the weekend :) ,small job to do on swmbo`s car and then its back to the stutter  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 02 November 2012, 12:01:33 pm »
hi red long time no hear?...well hurry up and get it sorted!!...then you can help me sort mine out :'( ...yes youve guessed right?...i got a fkn stutter now :'( ...wont rev above 6k...not done owt to it so not sure yet what could be doing it :rolleyes ....not used it for a few wks, its got fresh petrol etc so can rule that out?..starts first touch of button,..no miss fires revs nice and idles nice and smooth :rolleyes ....but try and get it to rev above 6k?????..not a chance in hell!!!!!....its like hitting a rev limiter!! :\

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: 02 November 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
hi CRH, i had a very similar problem last week, but mine stuttered at anything above 4k.
it was actually dropping a cylinder.
the prob with mine i think was 3 issues,
the well for the plug caps had wet leaves that had blown in (due to being parked up under a tree)
i also found a HT lead was a bit loose in the cap on cylinder no2
and when i took the plugs out the gaps were way too wide, cleaned and closed the gaps and it now runs better than it has in ages

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 02 November 2012, 05:16:31 pm »
hi, clayt...yes thanks for that ile give it a chk over this wkend and check all that out?....the bikes been kept nice and dry though in me garage!..like i said not been used for a few wks?..just hope its not picked up the...red stutttttering virus" :\ ....am hoping its just my plugs?..still got originals in ,but only done 6700 miles from new !!..

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: 03 November 2012, 09:44:44 am »
hi, clayt...yes thanks for that ile give it a chk over this wkend and check all that out?....the bikes been kept nice and dry though in me garage!..like i said not been used for a few wks?..just hope its not picked up the...red stutttttering virus" :\ ....am hoping its just my plugs?..still got originals in ,but only done 6700 miles from new !!..

hi crh....sorry about that mate ........next thigh iam going to do after ive sorted the shims...is to by-pass the fuel pump.should have done this a long time ago.....not feeling too good this morning flu type bug ive picked up,been working indoors all week with the heating on max so hoping all the fresh air iam going to get today finishing the roof off is going to do me the world of good......not sure if iam going to finish it today though

let us know how you get on mate .

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: 04 November 2012, 09:03:16 am »
roofs done  :D ...just as well , its peeing down this morning,just need to give the garage a re-shuffle and can then get swmbo`s car in there..small water leak,i think coming from thermostat housing,1.4 golf,then its back on the fazer  :D

any news on your stutter CRH  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 04 November 2012, 10:49:19 am »
Just think, in a thousand years time people will be unearthing age old versions of the bible, and even more remote and in depth, Red98's version of how to fix a stutter on a Fazer (just kidding)  :lol 
« Last Edit: 04 November 2012, 09:14:29 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

cnw180

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 07 November 2012, 08:26:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread and my fazer has similar problems. I've not got the flat spot, but around 8000 - 9000rpm the bike stutters before picking up again.  This is when I crack the throttle open quickly from, say 7000rpm. If I roll on slowly, the stutter is still there but less noticeable. If I accelerate from say 2000 - 10000 rpm, the acceleration is normal, no stutter.

This happened after I changed the air filter and (foolishly) added a small amount of Redex carb cleaner.

Before this the bike was running a bit rich, but other than that fine.

So any advice where to start looking would be welcome.

I can do a few basic maintenance tasks, but not things like stripping carbs.

I did think about putting the old air filter back in to see if that made a difference.

Cheers!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 07 November 2012, 09:28:48 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread and my fazer has similar problems. I've not got the flat spot, but around 8000 - 9000rpm the bike stutters before picking up again.  This is when I crack the throttle open quickly from, say 7000rpm. If I roll on slowly, the stutter is still there but less noticeable. If I accelerate from say 2000 - 10000 rpm, the acceleration is normal, no stutter.

This happened after I changed the air filter and (foolishly) added a small amount of Redex carb cleaner.

Before this the bike was running a bit rich, but other than that fine.

So any advice where to start looking would be welcome.

I can do a few basic maintenance tasks, but not things like stripping carbs.

I did think about putting the old air filter back in to see if that made a difference.

Cheers!

yes.....try putting the old filter back in and see what happens.....iam going to look at my fuel pump next,by-passing the pump and filter with a piece of tubing and using isaac`s laws ,see if it makes any difference  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

98wardj

• Cager in Training
  • sunny dunny
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - dominator 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 07 November 2012, 10:20:02 pm »
hi all
been reading this for a while, will be joining in shortly. just got a fazer and spent 510 getting it rite and it has got one bad cough!! had it before it got once over, was gone for 60 miles and now back with vengeance  feel mine must be a fuel problem as mates mate didnt drop the fuel and clean the pipes when carbs got balanced and cleaned. just terrible under 3500 and runs like dream afterwards. going to get go pro on and post link to video this weekend.
keep the posts coming in

cnw180

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: 07 November 2012, 11:03:04 pm »
I will try the filter back in at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

I just had a thought though. A friend checked the bike out for me a few weeks ago and commented that 1 cylinder was running hotter than the others (down pipe was noticeably hotter from startup). The other three cylinders were running a little rich(petrol smell) I will check the plugs at the weekend to to confirm this. Anyway a lean mixture would get even leaner with a new filter, so I wonder if one cylinder is too lean at high rpm and is causing the stuttering?

I assume a carb balance may be the simple answer as in the long term, I cant simply stick the old, clogged filter back in, to force the bike to run rich.

Does this sound plausible though??

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 08 November 2012, 09:24:36 am »

I just had a thought though. A friend checked the bike out for me a few weeks ago and commented that 1 cylinder was running hotter than the others (down pipe was noticeably hotter from startup). The other three cylinders were running a little rich(petrol smell) I will check the plugs at the weekend to to confirm this. Anyway a lean mixture would get even leaner with a new filter, so I wonder if one cylinder is too lean at high rpm and is causing the stuttering?

assume a carb balance may be the simple answer as in the long term, I cant simply stick the old, clogged filter back in, to force the bike to run rich.

ummmmmm .....not sure about that  ;) ......start by swaping the filter...i dont think thats the problem but once swaped you can forget about it  :) .....balancing the carbs is always a good thing  :D  do you know when it was last done ?  :)

cnw180

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: 08 November 2012, 11:27:05 am »

assume a carb balance may be the simple answer as in the long term, I cant simply stick the old, clogged filter back in, to force the bike to run rich.

ummmmmm .....not sure about that  ;) ......start by swaping the filter...i dont think thats the problem but once swaped you can forget about it  :) .....balancing the carbs is always a good thing  :D  do you know when it was last done ?  :)

I've owned the bike 3 and a bit years, and they've not been done in that time! Probably should have done them sooner. :\  Will get them done hopefully in the next week or so, have a friend with the kit needed.....

98wardj

• Cager in Training
  • sunny dunny
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - dominator 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: 09 November 2012, 08:57:01 pm »
 :D got mine sorted, turns out it was 2 faulty spark plug caps so no need for a video  :D
hope you get as much luck as me and thanks for the replies haha  :b

cnw180

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 10 November 2012, 12:57:32 pm »

.....well, checked the plugs and ht leads, bit of wd40 applied. Left New air filter in place as I noticed the rubber cover over the airfilter casing had snagged over the air intake, possibly restricting the airflow. Assuming the engine needs a huge "gulp" of air when the throttle opens, this may have been an issue. Will test ride before putting old filter back in.

Bike fired up fine, needed a bit of choke, normally doesnt! Idling ok, just a tiny bit lumpy...

Will post back later!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 10 November 2012, 02:00:09 pm »
@cnw180, I had a complete carb overhaul done at PDQ, cleaned, balanced, etc, but when i went back there about 18 months later with a rough running problem between 2-300 revs they balanced the carbs again and said that they were quite a lot out.
I really noticed a difference when riding home, so i'd imagine that if you haven't had yours balanced in over 3 years that could be a place to start first!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 10 November 2012, 02:32:57 pm »
fixed me stutter!! ;) ...very weak spark on number 3 plug?...so trimmed leads and replaced caps plus swapped plugs as i had a new set in stock!! and runs perfect again. :D ....what i did notice though was when i released the tank filler cap" there was a lot of suction on the cap?...chkd out the tank breather and it was blocked :rolleyes ...now cleared!!...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 10 November 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
Did i just read that correctly ??? :eek :eek :eek

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 10 November 2012, 02:43:43 pm »
Did i just read that correctly ??? :eek :eek :eek
.....you did?..why u askin darrs?????????

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: 10 November 2012, 03:06:50 pm »
Sorry, my fault, i'm so used to seeing your name on this post i thought you were red98  :lol

I thought it sounded a bit casual........ :lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 10 November 2012, 03:09:04 pm »
Sorry, my fault, i'm so used to seeing your name on this post i thought you were red98  :lol

I thought it sounded a bit casual........ :lol
....cheeky bstd!!!!.....am not that fkn ugly :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: 10 November 2012, 04:12:02 pm »
This is like waiting for the next season of your favourite TV show to start... come on red, I want the next episode already ;)

After 8 months this has been like a master class for the air / fuel system in the Fazer :P

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: 10 November 2012, 08:17:58 pm »
evening all  :D .......swmbo`s car in garage at moment  ;)  and in true RED style its in bits  :o  got a water leak between thermostst housing and cylinder head,golf 1.4,nobody stocks the rubber o ring seal so got one from local bearing trader  :D will put it back together tomorrow  :D

CRH....cheeky bstd.....iam the best looking bloke on here  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

darrsi....iam looking forward to the day when i can post something along those lines....i`ll be dancing in the street  :rollin :rollin :rollin

starting monday, working every day for the next 12 days then i have the weekend off :D  which will be time spent with the stutter  ;) ;) ;) ;)