Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:53 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 258092 times)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #675 on: 15 September 2012, 05:35:25 pm »
Replaced fuel filter. Noticed when the fuel ran out the old filter it was orange in colour. I think my problem is rust in fuel tank. When i looked in fuel tank it looks spotless, so it must have rust at the bottom :\
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 15 September 2012, 08:33:58 pm »
Replaced fuel filter. Noticed when the fuel ran out the old filter it was orange in colour. I think my problem is rust in fuel tank. When i looked in fuel tank it looks spotless, so it must have rust at the bottom :\

if you take the tank of and remove the tap and fuel guage sender you can flush it out quite easily  :D  se what comes out  ;) has the bike been sat around for a while  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 15 September 2012, 08:35:29 pm »
dont think i will have any spare time this weekend to play with the 600  :\  might be monday night now  :\
 can you wait that long ade  ;)

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 15 September 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
dont think i will have any spare time this weekend to play with the 600  :\  might be monday night now  :\
 can you wait that long ade  ;)
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww go on then.....i suppose so ;) .

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 15 September 2012, 11:13:42 pm »

if you take the tank of and remove the tap and fuel guage sender you can flush it out quite easily  :D  se what comes out  ;) has the bike been sat around for a while  :)
I'm going to take tank off and drain. I've just bought the bike, so i don't really know how long its been lying.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 16 September 2012, 07:53:11 am »

I'm going to take tank off and drain. I've just bought the bike, so i don't really know how long its been lying.

a good flush out then  :D .........might be good to drain the carbs aswell  ;)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 16 September 2012, 10:38:55 am »
Going to do that this morning. Let you know how i get on.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 16 September 2012, 07:30:42 pm »
Flushed the tank out. The fuel had loads of rusted flakes of metal in it, so i completely drained the tank and carb float bowls. Filled the tank with fresh fuel and went for a spin. To begin with it was pretty spluttery, but i think that was down to the fact carbs were drained and new fuel filter fitted. After about a 1/4 mile the bike ran sweet. Went out again this evening and same again revved out perfectly. I will hold back jumping for joy until i have used it for a few days, but it seems to be running much better :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: 16 September 2012, 07:38:10 pm »
Flushed the tank out. The fuel had loads of rusted flakes of metal in it, so i completely drained the tank and carb float bowls. Filled the tank with fresh fuel and went for a spin. To begin with it was pretty spluttery, but i think that was down to the fact carbs were drained and new fuel filter fitted. After about a 1/4 mile the bike ran sweet. Went out again this evening and same again revved out perfectly. I will hold back jumping for joy until i have used it for a few days, but it seems to be running much better :)

fingers crossed for you matey  ;) .....give us the good news at the end of the week  :D [size=78%] [/size]

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: 17 September 2012, 07:23:43 pm »
Cmon red?...put us out of us misery?....is it sorted? :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: 17 September 2012, 07:31:32 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmm not good :\ ...................at last i had some spare time in the garage :D  i used the colour tune on three of the four cylinders (cant seam to reach cyl 3 easily) and set a little bit rich, iam more or less on 5 turns  :\  so start it up and i have a big stutter at 5/6000 in neutral on the center stand  :\  just like hitting a rev limiter and wont pull through  :'(
 so i put the mixture screws back to 4 turns (its been running that for the last 30,000 miles) and no change :\
   ive made things worse and i dont know why  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 17 September 2012, 07:35:59 pm »
right!!....try weakening it even further to see if it gets worse?...at least then you proving its fuel prob!! set them to 3 and see what happens>> :rolleyes .....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 17 September 2012, 07:42:05 pm »
right!!....try weakening it even further to see if it gets worse?...at least then you proving its fuel prob!! set them to 3 and see what happens>> :rolleyes .....

[size=78%]hi crh.....just closed the garage door and walked away [/size] :\ .........your right thats the next logical step  ;)  not tonight though ,had enough,going to have a nice long soak in the bath and parhaps a beer after  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 17 September 2012, 07:45:18 pm »
dont blame you!!....dont give up though?....you come too far?? ;) ..you will get it right?.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 17 September 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
dont blame you!!....dont give up though?....you come too far?? ;) ..you will get it right?.

no not going to give up,just need a break ;) [size=78%]........i work 7 days a week during the summer and always feel a bit down at this time of year, day off on saturday so going to london to see a show followed by dinner and a few drinks [/size] :D  just what the doctor ordered  :D

[size=78%]thanks for your support CRH when the old girl is purrrrrrrrrring again that will be one big drink iou [/size] :)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2012, 06:46:00 am by red98 »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 17 September 2012, 08:13:46 pm »
I balanced the carbs on mine this afternoon. While hooking up the vacuum gauges to the take-off points on the inlet manifolds I found the little rubber caps had perished quite badly:

I don't think they'd quite gone all the way through, the one I tried sucking on was OK anyway... I didn't test the others 'cos I didn't like the taste. :)
As a precaution I smeared some silicone sealant into the cracks.
With all the dismantling and checking you've been doing I don't suppose that sort of thing would have missed your notice, but thought I'd mention it anyway as a possible cause of a weak mixture.

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 17 September 2012, 08:36:10 pm »
did somebody mention the word fuel perchance?.....and we know what that passes through don`t we?...no Clive, not just fuel lines !! :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 17 September 2012, 08:39:57 pm »
I balanced the carbs on mine this afternoon. While hooking up the vacuum gauges to the take-off points on the inlet manifolds I found the little rubber caps had perished quite badly:

I don't think they'd quite gone all the way through, the one I tried sucking on was OK anyway... I didn't test the others 'cos I didn't like the taste. :)
As a precaution I smeared some silicone sealant into the cracks.
With all the dismantling and checking you've been doing I don't suppose that sort of thing would have missed your notice, but thought I'd mention it anyway as a possible cause of a weak mixture.

well spotted fazerider :) [size=78%]......a split like that would indeed affect the mixture big time,mine are ok,but will double check to make sure ,just need to backtrack a bit now and see what i find[/size] ;)  thanks for your input matey,did you notice the difference now your carbs are all pulling together  :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 17 September 2012, 08:43:19 pm »
did somebody mention the word fuel perchance?.....and we know what that passes through don`t we?...no Clive, not just fuel lines !! :lol :lol :lol

hi ade ,still hoovering then  ;) ..........i think the greatest moment in you life is just around the corner ;) [size=78%]..........CRH its over to you !!!![/size]

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 17 September 2012, 08:51:14 pm »

hi ade ,still hoovering then  ;) ..........i think the greatest moment in you life is just around the corner ;) [size=78%]..........CRH its over to you !!!![/size]
hoovering? :rolleyes ......Clive is weakening. the force is strong though :rollin :rollin :rollin  seriously matey, 5 turns is a big no no. did you pull the plugs out of curiosity to see if they were jet black with chimney soot :lol :lol :lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 17 September 2012, 09:13:38 pm »
ime still thinking i am?...yes the force is strong!! ...got me waterproofs, sterodent, tissues ALL on standby ade!! :b ....just incase? :'( .....red?....dont forget the carbs i got stripped?...you need owt boyfriend they yours!! ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: 17 September 2012, 09:17:14 pm »

hoovering? :rolleyes ......Clive is weakening. the force is strong though :rollin :rollin :rollin  seriously matey, 5 turns is a big no no. did you pull the plugs out of curiosity to see if they were jet black with chimney soot :lol :lol :lol

the plugs did have a white tinge before i started but not checked since running on 5 turns,will look tomorrow  ;)
clives gone quite.........no doubt busy flossing and brushing  :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 17 September 2012, 09:20:59 pm »
already answered mate?...not gone quiet?...just looking on route planner! best way t ades?

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 17 September 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
already answered mate?...not gone quiet?...just looking on route planner! best way t ades?
just head due south, prison bitch! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin and dont forget the elmlea !!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 17 September 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
double whipp uhf spray already in top box matey?.... :b ....not looking good f me is it..