Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:11 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 258119 times)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #625 on: 07 September 2012, 06:56:31 pm »
yes!!!!.....happy birthday red...[/color ....leg over tonight then matey?...ps, can i sit on ya shoulders and take pics for ade?
« Last Edit: 07 September 2012, 07:05:16 pm by CRH »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 07 September 2012, 09:06:52 pm »
yes!!!!.....happy birthday red...[/color ....leg over tonight then matey?...ps, can i sit on ya shoulders and take pics for ade?

cheers matey  :) [size=78%]............yep,birthdays and christmas,you know the drill[/size] ;) [size=78%]....................paralympics today....great day [/size] :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 08 September 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
at last back on my 600 fazer problem.....CRH has helped me out with a long list of possible solutions after quizing a mechanic friend....so my thanks go to both of you  :D ......top of the list....BENT VALVE.....so ive done another compression test

cylinder 1...................140 psi
                                                             cylinder 2.....................85 psi
                                                             cylinder 3.....................61 psi
                                                             cylinder 4...................143 psi

these are average figures as i did the test four times,should be about 160/170 psi ,with 40,000 miles on the clock i was not expecting top pressure, within 10% and i would of been happy,the low readings on cyl 2 + 3 has got me thinking  :eek

i then disconnected the plug caps in turn to see what these figures mead in real terms....

disconnect plug lead no 1...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 2...............flat but wont idle
                                 disconnect plug lead no 3...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 4...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 2 + 3............flat but just about idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 1 +4.............wont start

so iam now thinking HEAD GASKET blown between cylinders 2 and 3  ;)  the bike runs fine between 4/8000rpm so parhaps the pressure of the 2 cylinders is masking the damaged gasket at mid range but at higher rpm the pressure is too great and the stutter returns  ;) ;) ......sounds a bit mad...but could be  :D
[size=78%]   i might take the head off and have a look,i can check the valves at the same time and regrind the seats to make it worth while [/size]

good afternoon chaps.........working today but had extended lunch brake and done another compression test  :D

1          2          3          4

results before valve re-grind                           140       85         61       143

results after valve re-grind                              137      134      132       136

happy with those results  :D  shame i lost a few psi`s on 1 and 4  :o  but figures very close now  :D
still waiting for air filter ,probs be mon or tues now  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 08 September 2012, 04:25:00 pm »
them readings are pretty good matey!!...nice and even!...right?..told paul you going to use a colour tune?..and he said if you do use one?..(he wouldnt by the way)....to err on the side of rich?..as the fazer motor is designed to run with a richer mixture than most!! he also says that using the colour they show tends to make bike engines run very weak?...and you may experience pinking when you give it some?...he said tend to aim for blue to orange , more the latter!!...specialy as your about to fit a k&N...
« Last Edit: 08 September 2012, 04:27:23 pm by CRH »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: 08 September 2012, 09:47:04 pm »
at last back on my 600 fazer problem.....CRH has helped me out with a long list of possible solutions after quizing a mechanic friend....so my thanks go to both of you  :D ......top of the list....BENT VALVE.....so ive done another compression test

cylinder 1...................140 psi
                                                             cylinder 2.....................85 psi
                                                             cylinder 3.....................61 psi
                                                             cylinder 4...................143 psi

these are average figures as i did the test four times,should be about 160/170 psi ,with 40,000 miles on the clock i was not expecting top pressure, within 10% and i would of been happy,the low readings on cyl 2 + 3 has got me thinking  :eek

i then disconnected the plug caps in turn to see what these figures mead in real terms....

disconnect plug lead no 1...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 2...............flat but wont idle
                                 disconnect plug lead no 3...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 4...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 2 + 3............flat but just about idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 1 +4.............wont start

so iam now thinking HEAD GASKET blown between cylinders 2 and 3  ;)  the bike runs fine between 4/8000rpm so parhaps the pressure of the 2 cylinders is masking the damaged gasket at mid range but at higher rpm the pressure is too great and the stutter returns  ;) ;) ......sounds a bit mad...but could be  :D
[size=78%]   i might take the head off and have a look,i can check the valves at the same time and regrind the seats to make it worth while [/size]

good afternoon chaps.........working today but had extended lunch break and done another compression test  :D

1          2          3          4

results before valve re-grind                           140       85         61       143

results after valve re-grind                              137      134      132       136

happy with those results  :D  shame i lost a few psi`s on 1 and 4  :o  but figures very close now  :D
still waiting for air filter ,probs be mon or tues now  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: 08 September 2012, 09:56:05 pm »
them readings are pretty good matey!!...nice and even!...right?..told paul you going to use a colour tune?..and he said if you do use one?..(he wouldnt by the way)....to err on the side of rich?..as the fazer motor is designed to run with a richer mixture than most!! he also says that using the colour they show tends to make bike engines run very weak?...and you may experience pinking when you give it some?...he said tend to aim for blue to orange , more the latter!!...specialy as your about to fit a k&N...

thanks crh....top man ;) .....main reason for using colour tune is to see the difference between 2.5 turns and 4 turns  ;)
will set to over rich which i think will be somewhere near 4 turns but i dont know why :rolleyes [size=78%],will wait untill i have the k+n [/size] :D
pleased with the compression figures :D [size=78%] thats going to make it run a lot smoother and a bit more power[/size] ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 08 September 2012, 10:05:56 pm »
yes very wierd why they should be that far out int it?....still like you previously said?..it ran fine for all those years so???????????...defo make a diffrence now you done valves!!...cant wait till you get that fkn filter in it?..there must be hundreds of us on here wanting a result!!!...just think red?..no more stutters?...what the fuck you gonna do with yourself? :rolleyes ....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 08 September 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
yes very wierd why they should be that far out int it?....still like you previously said?..it ran fine for all those years so???????????...defo make a diffrence now you done valves!!...cant wait till you get that fkn filter in it?..there must be hundreds of us on here wanting a result!!!...just think red?..no more stutters?...what the fuck you gonna do with yourself? :rolleyes ....
same as me.......bike had k+n and aftermarket can fitted and ran sweet as a nut for over two years.....then literally overnight developed the dreaded stutter. finally cured ( touch wood ) with some re-jetting !!! whats that all about. crazy shit :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 08 September 2012, 10:22:09 pm »
same as me.......bike had k+n and aftermarket can fitted and ran sweet as a nut for over two years.....then literally overnight developed the dreaded stutter. finally cured ( touch wood ) with some re-jetting !!! whats that all about. crazy shit :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

...your right ade! doesnt make sense does it?...fkn bikes are  wearing out nearly as quick as us? :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 08 September 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
its a crazy world  :rolleyes .....would be very frustrating if i fix the stutter but dont know the reason  :\ ......bit like you re-jetting ade  ;) .........think iam getting close now :)

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 08 September 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
its a crazy world  :rolleyes .....would be very frustrating when i fix the stutter but dont know the reason  :\ ......bit like you re-jetting ade  ;) .........think iam getting close now :)
fixed it for you mate..........keep at it pal...........we`ll all keep throwing any old sh&te on the table until its running right for ya........as you were Clive ! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 08 September 2012, 10:38:29 pm »
its a crazy world  :rolleyes .....would be very frustrating when i fix the stutter but dont know the reason  :\ ......bit like you re-jetting ade  ;) .........think iam getting close now :)
fixed it for you mate..........keep at it pal...........we`ll all keep throwing any old sh&te on the table until its running right for ya........as you were Clive ! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
......Sheep shagger :b ....

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 08 September 2012, 10:42:40 pm »
......Sheep shagger :b ....

meh..meh........meh :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 08 September 2012, 10:51:43 pm »
you still not convinced its sorted then ade? :rolleyes

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 08 September 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
you still not convinced its sorted then ade? :rolleyes
believe me mate, i`d like to think `ole Reds on the home straight. But what niggles me is i tried the switching out the air filter thingy.albeit in reverse with no difference whatsoever, unfortunately. I really, really hope it turns out to be the `key` to it all. still need more convincing though......sorry all......come on Red, prove me totally wrong and kick my arse bigtime for being a non-believer .........i`ll deserve it !! :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 08 September 2012, 11:02:36 pm »
ADE?...if red dont kick the fkr?....CAN I PLEASE??????? ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: 08 September 2012, 11:50:52 pm »
You know, a pub meet might not be a bad idea, should be a good laugh - probably have to do it somewhere quiet and out of the way so as to reduce the likelihood of the locals calling the authorities to throw some of you lot in the looney bin ;) ... you know who you are...
as long as it doesn`t have low beams............these slingbacks jack me up at least 6" :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  oh just noticed...HAPPY BURFDAY RED :guitar :guitar didn`t realise you had a good 30 yrs on me !

Happy belated Birthday :P Did I miss the cake?

Is it also rude to point out that you are in fact 28 years older than me - I like being the young one ^^

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: 08 September 2012, 11:51:16 pm »
ADE?...if red dont kick the fkr?....CAN I PLEASE??????? ;)
I thought that was a forgone conclusion mate.........gd`night

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: 08 September 2012, 11:54:50 pm »
You know, a pub meet might not be a bad idea, should be a good laugh - probably have to do it somewhere quiet and out of the way so as to reduce the likelihood of the locals calling the authorities to throw some of you lot in the looney bin ;) ... you know who you are...
as long as it doesn`t have low beams............these slingbacks jack me up at least 6" :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  oh just noticed...HAPPY BURFDAY RED :guitar :guitar didn`t realise you had a good 30 yrs on me !

Is it also rude to point out that you are in fact 28 years older than me - I like being the young one ^^
quite right mate......us sub-30 yr olds must stick together. oh and yes the cake was a bit on the chewy side........sure it had a jam and air filter filling  :lol :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: 09 September 2012, 07:20:14 am »

cheers mate :D [size=78%]........had problem with cake and fire brigade [/size] :o :o :o :o :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 09 September 2012, 07:21:34 am »

quite right mate......us sub-30 yr olds must stick together. oh and yes the cake was a bit on the chewy side........sure it had a jam and air filter filling  :lol :lol :lol :lol

SUB 30.......................... :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 09 September 2012, 11:44:29 am »
Sub 30... I'm barely post 20 :P

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 11 September 2012, 03:23:23 pm »
afternoon all you young foccrs :) .....iam i the oldest foccer in town ?
 k+n filter arrived yesterday and looks fantastic  :D  will fit tonight and have a play with the colour tune  ;)

in the meantime  ;) ,all you foccers out there start thinking about what iam going to do next if this fails, as i think iam now out of ideas  :\

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 11 September 2012, 05:07:14 pm »
 k+n filter arrived yesterday and looks fantastic  :D  will fit tonight and have a play with the colour tune  ;)

in the meantime  ;) ,all you foccers out there start thinking about what iam going to do next if this fails, as i think iam now out of ideas  :\
.....buy a ..GOOD one of me boyfriend! :b ....dont worry ime sure it will be fine!!!...got to prove ATB wrong else never live it down :'( ......ps... suzuki bandits are cheap? :rolleyes ...and remember this?...you only as old as you look!!
« Last Edit: 11 September 2012, 05:16:59 pm by CRH »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 11 September 2012, 05:22:30 pm »

.....buy a ..GOOD one of me boyfriend! :b ....dont worry ime sure it will be fine!!!...got to prove ATB wrong else never live it down :'( ......ps... suzuki bandits are cheap? :rolleyes ...and remember this?...you only as old as you look!!

oh no.....could never have a bum bandit  :eek ......stick with what i`ve got  ;) .........."only as old as you look"......now i am i trouble  :\ :\ :\