Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:31 pm

Author Topic: stuttering fzs 600  (Read 257982 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: stuttering fzs 600
« Reply #400 on: 07 August 2012, 05:19:29 pm »
upon taking my tank up to get resrayed i tried to drain the fuel out about a gallon,however switching the tap to on fuel ran freely for about a minute then stopped switching between off and on and fuel would flow for a while and stop again.it would flow for various amounts off time before stopping.now my fazer has had an intermitant missfire for a while now so im thinking me taps fooked wemoto do a tap repair kit for £14 or a complete new one from yamaha is £25 think im gonna splash out for a new one.no crap in filter but gonna check inside tank when i take old tap off. just another thing for red to check :\ :\

cheers bootz76......already done that but dont think i posted it......as well as taking the tap off remove the fuel gauge sender unit as well....you can see a bit more and it makes it easier to flush out  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 12 August 2012, 03:06:52 pm »
at last back on my 600 fazer problem.....CRH has helped me out with a long list of possible solutions after quizing a mechanic friend....so my thanks go to both of you  :D ......top of the list....BENT VALVE.....so ive done another compression test

cylinder 1...................140 psi
                                                             cylinder 2.....................85 psi
                                                             cylinder 3.....................61 psi
                                                             cylinder 4...................143 psi

these are average figures as i did the test four times,should be about 160/170 psi ,with 40,000 miles on the clock i was not expecting top pressure, within 10% and i would of been happy,the low readings on cyl 2 + 3 has got me thinking  :eek

i then disconnected the plug caps in turn to see what these figures mead in real terms....

disconnect plug lead no 1...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 2...............flat but wont idle
                                 disconnect plug lead no 3...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug lead no 4...............little bit flat but idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 2 + 3............flat but just about idles
                                 disconnect plug leads 1 +4.............wont start

so iam now thinking HEAD GASKET blown between cylinders 2 and 3  ;)  the bike runs fine between 4/8000rpm so parhaps the pressure of the 2 cylinders is masking the damaged gasket at mid range but at higher rpm the pressure is too great and the stutter returns  ;) ;) ......sounds a bit mad...but could be  :D
[size=78%]   i might take the head off and have a look,i can check the valves at the same time and regrind the seats to make it worth while [/size]

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 12 August 2012, 03:22:42 pm »
ile do same chk on mine in morning and see what i get red??......but bare in mind mines only done just over 6000miles!! be intresting wont it?  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 12 August 2012, 03:30:31 pm »
yes that would be interesting  :D  thank you........no outward signs of head gasket damage , oil leaks or using coolant etc and inside of filler cap is clean....going to search internet and see how much a gasket is before i go ahead  ;)
 could also try the SQUIRT OF OIL TRICK in the bores and then retest,if its ring wear the oil will  seal the rings and improve the readings confirming either gasket or valves  :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 12 August 2012, 03:35:53 pm »
think ule find wemoto best for h/g mate!! ime sure fella cross road from me tried every where and ended up getting off them!!....think he said 60 t 70 notes at yam!! but that bt 3yr ago? :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 12 August 2012, 07:42:55 pm »
had a chat earlier with chap cross road!....and he,s sure he only paid £35...for his head gasket ?......he also says it was exactly half the price of a yam one red??....and it defo was ....wemoto!!!!!!!!!! ;) .....also had word with the "man" and he says he will be surprised  if its the rings?....but wont be surprised if you find a couple of either bent or burnt exhaust valves!!!!!!!!!! also asked when did you last chk your valve clearances ? :rolleyes

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 12 August 2012, 08:19:26 pm »
had a chat earlier with chap cross road!....and he,s sure he only paid £35...for his head gasket ?......he also says it was exactly half the price of a yam one red??....and it defo was ....wemoto!!!!!!!!!! ;) .....also had word with the "man" and he says he will be surprised  if its the rings?....but wont be surprised if you find a couple of either bent or burnt exhaust valves!!!!!!!!!! also asked when did you last chk your valve clearances ? :rolleyes

hi matey,thanks for that,looked at BITZ FOR BIKES they stock 2 for a 98 model at £30 delivered,ive emailed them to see which one i need,if they cant help i`ll use wemoto...used both before and got excellent service
 i too will be surprised if its the rings as its never used a drop of oil in ten years ownership
 as you already know checked valve clearences at the start of this post,just within tollerences,if i end up taking the head off i will do them at the same time......as ever thanks for your input  :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 13 August 2012, 11:11:33 am »
......i did that compression test on my 6000 mile foxeye and the results are as follow;....cylinder 1...166....cyl 4....162....cyl 3...160 cyl...4...158....and that was taken as average over 4 tests!!!!!!!!!!!!.....also mine will start and run using any combination you tried in regards to removing ht leads to try diff cyls!!....on any 2 cyls !!.....hope this helps clive!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 13 August 2012, 01:14:00 pm »
hi crh....thanks for going to the trouble of doing the compression test :D .....some excellent results there confirming the low mileage....i`ve made up my mind and iam going to take the head off....hoping that i will find a bent valve or blown gasket  ;)  will post some pic when i do..
 iam having trouble posting pics at the moment,is it just me ?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 13 August 2012, 09:27:04 pm »
more progress tonight...ive started to strip the bike in readyness to remove the head,items removed.......

seat
                                                         tank
                                                         carbs
                                                         coolant
                                                         various hoses
                                                         coil + fuel pump mounting bar
                                                         exhaust and down tubes

next step is to remove the cam cover, slacken the head bolts and remove/disconnect the cam chain....oh and align the timing marks.............its a while since i`ve stripped a bike enging so will flick through the haynes manual to see how to remove cam chain and refresh my memory on timing marks......time taken so far....2 hours  ;)

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 13 August 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
nice one!! ;) .. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin ....only 22 to go?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 13 August 2012, 09:40:15 pm »
nice one!! ;) .. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin ....only 22 to go?

nice one  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 14 August 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
good evening my stuttering followers.......bit more progress on the bike tonight.......removed the alternator cover to gain access to timing mark on flywheel,removed cam cover and cam chain adjuster,positioned the timing mark on flywheel inline with join on engine casings and dot marks on cam ends with dots on cam carrier/head,also removed both chain guides ,had to remove the rad to get the front one out,does not mention that in the haynes manual  :rolleyes  also marked the chain and cam sprocket with tippex to aid reassembly. ;)
no wear found on any components except a bit of discolouring on the cam,to be expected on a bike with 40,000 miles on the clock  :D
 next step is to unbolt the cam housings and lift out the cams and followers.....stay tuned for the next gripping episode of

REDS STUTTERING FAZER

only 1 1/2 hours tonight,so 3 1/2 so far...........CRH,do you know something i dont  ;) [size=78%] [/size]

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 14 August 2012, 09:29:21 pm »
 :rolleyes ......Only......20 1/2...to go now then?,,,,soooooooon be done!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 14 August 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
yes getting there...all being well i will have the cams out tomorrow,lots of warnings in the haynes manual about breaking cams  :eek if not releasing the bolts in correct order,from what i can see none of the valve springs are compressed when engine at tdc so not expecting any pressure on the cams.however i will of course slacken the bolts in the correct manner though ,as you do  :D     

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 14 August 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
i did a hybusa engine with a mate of mine last year!!....we completely stripped and rebuilt it!!...took just over 2days and to our shock and horror!!!.... ;) ...it ran as sweet as a  fazer on steroids!!!....how the fk we managed it ..i dont know??....but 9k later and its still running sweet!! so must have done sumat right!! :rolleyes

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 14 August 2012, 10:38:56 pm »
one thing i will suggest red!! keep everything meticulous plenty of soft cotton rags etc!!...and dont rush!!...we double checked everything as we went along!!....good luck with it anyway!!....ps...wheres the blade gone???????? :eek .....you dont think he,s hung up the helmet do you????.....or.........has he gone and ditched his ..vera"..and bought a fazer  for himself as the envy of his ladies" ride as got to much for him??????....... :'(

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 15 August 2012, 06:57:17 am »
one thing i will suggest red!! keep everything meticulous plenty of soft cotton rags etc!!...and dont rush!!...we double checked everything as we went along!!....good luck with it anyway!!....ps...wheres the blade gone???????? :eek .....you dont think he,s hung up the helmet do you????.....or.........has he gone and ditched his ..vera"..and bought a fazer  for himself as the envy of his ladies" ride as got to much for him??????....... :'(

yes crh....had a good clear up in the garage before i started.....all bolts removed are back where they belong ,just loose,all components cleaned and laid out on the bench in the order that they came off ,this sort of work is old hat to me,many a classic jap bike engine rebuild under my belt....all those electrical tests i did at the start of this post is all cloak and daggers to me,give my oily chunks of metal any day,you can see whats happening and more importantly see whats going wrong,
   :D  looking forward to lifting the head and having a good poke around  ;)
yes ade has gone quite.....feeling left out no doubt as has inferior bike....he will see the light one day  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 15 August 2012, 09:28:34 pm »
evening my stuttering stablemates........this you wont believe.............IVE MADE MORE PROGRESS ON THE FAZER  :eek .......cams out tonight along with followers and shims......un-bolted the head and lifted off.........head came off real easy (too easy me thinks) as did the gasket  :rolleyes ...no sign of a blown gasket and the valves look as if they are seating well  ;)  i turned the head upsidedown fitted some old plugs and filled the combustion chambers with petrol then went inside for a cuppa....went back and checked 10mins later and cyl 1,2,3 had lost 25% no4 not lost any. ;)
 so iam thinking headgasket, as came off far to easy and the black coating (not sure what it is) on the gasket is comming away also valves need grinding in  :) .......not sure if this will solve the stutter though  :\
 i have a couple of valve compression tools that ive used on car cylinder heads in the past but not sure if they will fit the fazer  ;)     any foccers remover thier valves before ?  :) [size=78%] [/size]

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 15 August 2012, 10:22:21 pm »
ah ....forgot to mention time taken.....2 1/2 hours tonight......which i think makes 6  hrs in total  ;)
 where`s the official foc-u time keeper when you need him  :rolleyes

[size=78%] next step is too take the valves out and re-grind them back in,and also check for any damage and that they are not bent....if my valve spring compressor fits...that will take a while as will do all 16...this will hopfully restore compression back to near standard pressure [/size] ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 15 August 2012, 10:27:01 pm »
Amazing dedication to your 600 here red. I love mechanics like this but lack of experience (and thankfully problems) stops me :P Though I apparently have a gearbox to change on my cage... so that should keep me occupied.

Keep up the work, I'm still following ^^

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 15 August 2012, 10:30:27 pm »
soz red fell asleep!!!!!.....you done good today matey?? :) .......have you chkd head between pots for hairline cracks etc?

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 15 August 2012, 10:36:37 pm »
Amazing dedication to your 600 here red. I love mechanics like this but lack of experience (and thankfully problems) stops me :P Though I apparently have a gearbox to change on my cage... so that should keep me occupied.

Keep up the work, I'm still following ^^

thanks deadeye.....ive had the 600 for 10 years now,so sort of got attached to it,been a fantastic bike,probs not worth a great deal now so might as well hang on to it
 good luck with the cage gear box...easy enough to do,is it fwd ?  :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 15 August 2012, 10:42:46 pm »
soz red fell asleep!!!!!.....you done good today matey?? :) .......have you chkd head between pots for hairline cracks etc?

hi matey.....not checked the head yet,will need a good clean first and scrape off whats left of the old gasket.will remove all valves and check that they are all good before i order the gasket,then if i need any new ones i can order at the same time.
 plenty to keep me busy in the mean time as will grind in the valves the old fashion way.....grinding paste and sucker on a stick  ;) .......proper mechanics  :D

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 15 August 2012, 10:48:30 pm »
looks to me by the look of that gasket that the head wasn,t torqued down very well??....saw this black shit before on a cavalier i did and to me it looked like carbon!!....and that wasnt torqued right either??