Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:17 am

Author Topic: Annual Fiddle  (Read 3763 times)

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Annual Fiddle
« on: 11 July 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
Thought I would treat he old girl (2004) to a few upgrades and changes as the sun is shining  :)

Got the gold wheels from here after they had been through a few hands.

Zero Limits Carbon Sub Cowl and radiator covers, top quality but take ages to deliver. Wavy discs with Ferrodo pads, improves braking massively (feel and power). Not sure on the gold wheels, they are not gold or shiny enough, I think it might be Subaru wheel gold. MCT service and set up of K-Tech rebuilt forks, plus rear shock. Roadsmart 2's front and rear

Puig DB screen fitted last summer, ok to 85-90 after that head shake, though not too bad for noise.

Riders eye view with zero limits carbon infill panels. Gold screw on brace replace the original one fell out on way to MOT.

New MRA X-creen fitted to DB screen, I have had a MRA Vario but always thought the main screen was too small. This set up seems to work well and gives better results and less noise than Vario. More road testing required, but it was simple to fit (will fit to most screens)

Front view

Side view

New Chain and Sprockets next, followed by carbon side panels and airbox covers. Thinking of getting my other wheels carbon dipped and possible engine and frame covers too.

And if I can get on a ferry a ten day trip to Spain  :)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Annual Fiddle
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2013, 09:56:17 pm »
The dip seems to be the way to go, the gold wheels don't do it for me but the rest is cool.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2013, 11:41:42 pm »
Deeply impressed. Nice set of additions there, not too showy and they finish the ol' Fazer off perfectly.

How much were the infill panels? Just been on the Zero Limits site and there's no price listing for them. I presume you just ring them up and they build a set to order.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2013, 06:55:39 am »
Yes the zero limits stuff is built to order, I think they say 40 days but it's more like 8 - 10 weeks. I bough the infills last year and I think they were around £80 the pair, possibly a little more. There is a German firm on eBay that does them much quicker but they cost a lot more.

Carbon sub cowl was £115, quality and fit top notch and I just rode from Southport to Liverpool on loose chippings (why do they leave them down so long) and not a dint or scratch in the carbon.

For the infills you need to add your own foam pieces to stop vibration, I also use a soft washer between the carbon and the bracket,

« Last Edit: 12 July 2013, 06:59:10 am by Tmation »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2013, 07:29:04 am »
Ooh !! very nice , smart bike
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2013, 08:02:15 am »
That's lovely, I quite like the gold wheels but also love carbon, it's an awesome looking bike whatever you choose  :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2013, 10:19:08 am »
I quite like the gold wheels, as AyJay said, they finish it nicely without being OTT. Is that b/pan genuine c/fibre or carbon-look? Looks like the real stuff in the photos, in which case £115 is quite a good price. Also, what's that around your fuel cap, anti-spill or mounts something or other?

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2013, 01:01:47 pm »
Belly pan (Sub Cowl) is genuine carbon and very nice quality

Around the fuel cap is a SW Motech Quick lock fitting for an Engage tank bag, top quality kit and easy to use.

Tank bag sits clear of tank, so no marks like magnetic or strap types.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
That is one really classy Fazer, mate.  Very nice.  I is vairy impressed. :)

Mike

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2013, 03:45:09 pm »
Very nice addons on a very slow bike ;-)
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2013, 03:52:09 pm »
Yes the zero limits stuff is built to order, I think they say 40 days but it's more like 8 - 10 weeks. I bough the infills last year and I think they were around £80 the pair, possibly a little more. There is a German firm on eBay that does them much quicker but they cost a lot more.

For the infills you need to add your own foam pieces to stop vibration, I also use a soft washer between the carbon and the bracket,

I got the German one's off ebay after I heard of the long waiting time and trouble with different thickness in the carbon from Zero Limit stuff, took 5 days but as you say more expensive around the £140 mark inc postage after a little bit of haggling.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2013, 06:54:46 am »
You mention headshake. TBH that is almost unheard of on the fazer at almost any speed( I never had had this issue in 10 yrs of riding). I suspect the sat nav mount onto one side of handlebars could be your issue. It takes very little to wobble a bike if you touch the tiller ! I put mine in the very middle of the bars to avoid this issue.

A very clean bike for sure...does it ever get ridden !  :rolleyes ......not bad for  a bike which aint been made for the last 8 yrs or so....

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 July 2013, 08:58:25 am »
You mention headshake. TBH that is almost unheard of on the fazer at almost any speed( I never had had this issue in 10 yrs of riding). I suspect the sat nav mount onto one side of handlebars could be your issue. It takes very little to wobble a bike if you touch the tiller ! I put mine in the very middle of the bars to avoid this issue.

A very clean bike for sure...does it ever get ridden !  :rolleyes ......not bad for  a bike which aint been made for the last 8 yrs or so....

The head shake is my head not the bike, I find a lot of screens I have tried make my head move around above 85-90 mph, the Zero Gravity one was so bad I couldn't go above 100 mph (in Germany  ;) [/size][size=78%]) [/size][/size]as the buffeting was so bad I couldn't see.
[/size]
[/size]Yes the bike gets ridden its done, nearly 20,000 miles, hence the need for new chain and sprockets. Actually its only the front sprocket that is worn, the teeth seem to be opening out, but I thought I would change the lot in a oner.
[/size]
[/size]Mr Mike has worked his magic on it (twice), first the slip on kit, then the full monty when he started doing them. The bike has run and fuelled faultlessly since then, I have checked the carb balance each year but not had to adjust it yet. The only problem seems to be fuel consumption has gone up, I used to get around 180-190 miles to the fuel light, now I only get 145 no matter how I ride it?