Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:50 am

Author Topic: Brake Lines  (Read 2937 times)

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Brake Lines
« on: 05 November 2020, 10:13:34 am »
I fancy replacing the original stock brake lines on my bike.
Any particular ones better than others?
Best price I've found is for EBC lines from Demon Tweaks, about £93 the whole set.
Does the FOC-U get a discount anywhere?  I thought I read something about HEL lines but can't find it now...

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2020, 10:19:57 am »
Venhill lines are highly recommended. Top quality and the swivel banjo fittings making installation very simple.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/partfinder/search/vehicle/id/5563
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2020, 11:39:10 am »
I can highly recommend Wezmoto lines. I replaced my aged HEL ones with them in the summer. You wouldn't tell the difference in terms of finish and quality but they are only £60 for the full set!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141063262561

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2020, 11:55:17 am »
I've had forum discount from Hel on two occasions in recent years, even for a can of brake fluid. From memory the code was FORUM 25 or maybe 20. If you do a search on this forum you'll come across it, providing of course, Hel still offer us discount.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2020, 04:27:22 pm »
I can highly recommend Wezmoto lines. I replaced my aged HEL ones with them in the summer. You wouldn't tell the difference in terms of finish and quality
That will be because Wez makes his lines in the Hel factory with their parts so they are exactly the same minus the Hel branding  ;)

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2020, 05:47:59 pm »
Thanks all  :thumbup
Still pondering, I just did a 'dry run' on the HEL website and can confirm Forum25 works as a discount code. (-25%)
Venhill seems to have availability issues.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2020, 06:11:27 pm »
I just did a 'dry run' on the HEL website and can confirm Forum25 works as a discount code. (-25%)

Wish Id thought to look on the forum before I ordered a full set of HEL for my Gen 1 earlier this year, at full cost.  :'(

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 November 2020, 10:57:45 pm »

They are made to order and can be modified to your specifications if necessary (eg extra length for bar risers). They aren’t cheap (I got the stainless ones) but quality is first class.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

dangerousdave

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 November 2020, 11:08:02 pm »
2 hose or 3 hose? any suggestions which is better?

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2020, 05:57:44 am »
I went for 3 hose at the front, just because I think it looks neater.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2020, 01:52:04 pm »
 :agree For exactly the same reason.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2020, 02:40:44 pm »
:agree For exactly the same reason.
Me too. Still not fitted them yet though :rolleyes

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2020, 05:55:15 pm »
So I've gone with the HEL lines, full set, ~£74 with the discount.
Bleed nipples very corroded, and covers missing, so they're on their way from Yambits.
Also some silver Renthals (758) from somewhere called '24MX' - £39.   Nowhere else had any in stock.
£££££  I've only had it two days!!
The Best fun though.

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2020, 06:14:39 pm »
Who knew there was a 'Secret Extra Bleed Nipple' around the back of the rear caliper?!
Spent ages (and lots of Dot4) this afternoon trying to bleed the new rear line, -couldn't get a 'firm pedal' and eventually gave up thinking I needed a Master Cylinder repair kit or something.
Then later I happened to be around the other side of the bike and spotted it.  Job done! :-)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2020, 07:56:37 pm »
Who knew there was a 'Secret Extra Bleed Nipple' around the back of the rear caliper?!
Spent ages (and lots of Dot4) this afternoon trying to bleed the new rear line, -couldn't get a 'firm pedal' and eventually gave up thinking I needed a Master Cylinder repair kit or something.
Then later I happened to be around the other side of the bike and spotted it.  Job done! :-)
Yep, knew about that, but still took some time to get a firm pedal though. Ended up raising the caliper above the master cylinder. Best rear brake I’ve ever had on a bike, without a doubt.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2020, 09:07:05 pm »
I can highly recommend Wezmoto lines. I replaced my aged HEL ones with them in the summer. You wouldn't tell the difference in terms of finish and quality
That will be because Wez makes his lines in the Hel factory with their parts so they are exactly the same minus the Hel branding  ;)

Put Wezmoto lines on mine and thought they were great quality,then seen this post and realised why. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2020, 12:54:51 pm »
I eventually loosened both caliper bolts, and removed the front one (on the rear caliper), so was able to 'hinge' the caliper down a bit such that the nipples were more nearly at the very top.  Quite a bit more air came out once I did that. :-)

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2020, 05:50:25 pm »
Were your Renthal bars straight or with a rise? only asking because I wanted a more comfortable riding position on my Gen 2 so,not thinking I bought a pair with a medium rise which were just right but the oem brake lines were a fair bit short ,that's how I came to buy some lengthened ones from Wezmoto and while I was at it I got the rear as well.I wasn't planning on putting braided lines on initially but they tidied the bike up so much I'm glad the original ones didn't fit.Just wasn't sure whether you had the same problem with a Gen1

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2020, 06:14:04 pm »
I got the '758' bars, in Silver. They call them 'Road Bike Ultra Low'.  I wouldn't say there's any more rise than the standard bars, they're a little wider, and quite a bit less raked back at the ends.  Feels a slightly more 'aggressive' riding position. 
I haven't got the master cylinder on yet but with a 'dry run' it seems like the length of the HEL lines will be fine, especially if I route them to the right of the horn bracket etc (2 lines, not 3).
I'm waiting on getting the nerve to attempt tapping the bars in order to use the stock bar ends....   And drilling the holes for the switchgear in the right places. Gulp!  The tap has arrived (~£9.50 Amazon), but Brave Pill, and clear head, needed!

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2020, 08:32:16 pm »
The bar ends must be different than the gen2, that has a rubber insert moulded in to end of the bar, I couldn't get them out and bought some renthal bar ends which look neat but are to light,so much so I had to put some grip puppies on to get rid of some vibration,they work ok but look a bit thick on the bars.Those holes you drill for the switchgear are a nightmare to get bang on,well,they were for me,I remember looking at a u/tube video and the bloke who was doing the job didn't bother drilling the bars,instead he put some form of thick tape under the switchgear and tightened them up!Didn't fancy that at all and I was glad I persevered with the holes,best of luck. :lol

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2020, 10:55:37 am »
Yeh the original Yamaha 'ends seem lovely and heavy.  I wonder if I wreck the Renthals trying to tap them will some aftermarket 'expanding' type still fit..?   
I've got a cheap pillar drill in the garage which will hopefully do the switchgear holes, if I can manage to mark the right spot.  I'm just putting it off really!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2020, 11:39:03 am »
Wish Id thought to look on the forum before I ordered a full set of HEL for my Gen 1 earlier this year, at full cost.
And on a related note, I wish I had spoken to Suzuki before buying a full set of lines from Hel. Arseholes would only sell me a full 7x hose kit (Was £170, now £230) when all I needed was a 3 hose kit (was £70, now £98). Their pointless full kit replaced 3x combined hard/soft lines going to and from the ABS unit and under the bottom yoke on my bandit 1250. Never again will I buy a kit direct or otherwise from them.

RoyBatty

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2020, 12:28:05 pm »
Similar story for my Blackbird, -11 lines -~£290   :eek   -'Dual CBS Brakes'.
I'd like to do it one day, but still running the originals.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 November 2020, 06:49:44 pm »
Yeh the original Yamaha 'ends seem lovely and heavy.  I wonder if I wreck the Renthals trying to tap them will some aftermarket 'expanding' type still fit..?   
I've got a cheap pillar drill in the garage which will hopefully do the switchgear holes, if I can manage to mark the right spot.  I'm just putting it off really!
I haven't done it myself but I have had 2 lots of renthals tapped out by a local workshop without issue so shouldn't be a problem. I would try mounting the switchgear without drilling holes I never had to as I beleive that the locating pin is plastic and will just compress down onto the bar either that or I took a bit off the end, either way I've not had any issue with the unit slipping. It will take you a while to find the bar position and switch position that suits you so drilling a hole 'on spec' will envitably not be where you end up wanting it.

/EDIT: ***** auto format. In addition to what I already posted when I originally installed the bars and had them where I thought I'd want them after 10 minutes riding I got really bad wrist ache and it did take a number of attempts to get everything set up so it was comfortable so I'd definately advise against drilling the bars for the switchgear mount.

« Last Edit: 19 November 2020, 06:08:59 pm by PieEater »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 November 2020, 07:47:19 pm »
On the Renthal tapping subject, Flooky of this parish, tapped his without a problem. Whereas I took mine to an engineering place who pre-drilled the ends before tapping them and charged me about the same price as the bars. Gutted. Providing you can get them in a vice without marking them you should be fine.