Date: 27-04-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: Warning Police Ahead  (Read 968 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Warning Police Ahead
« on: 09 October 2023, 12:47:31 pm »
I see on a lot of US bike related stuff that they use a signal tapping on the top of their helmet to let other riders know there are police up ahead,  think in some states it might even be against the law.I have never seen it in this country though as there is not a recognised signal apart from maybe flashing of headlights which can mean anything from cows in the road or you have left your filler cap open on your car :lol it is useless to try and flash on a box eye anyway :rollin
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Warning Police Ahead
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2023, 01:23:34 pm »
It’s surprising how little attention is given to traffic passing in the opposite direction. I have tried using a closed and rapidly opening fist towards the top of my crash helmet, ( to represent flashing), and have been warned accordingly using the same method, but many would not understand the message being conveyed.
On my trip to France last month a group of ten pals,were returning to England on the same day, on a similar route to me. In fact we passed each other on a long straight stretch of road between Vernon and Pacy sur Eure, and despite me flashing and waving, none of them saw me. So the chance of quickly conveying the presence of cops, other than a headlight flash, which of course is illegal in this country and certainly is in Spain, will be difficult I think.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2023, 05:17:05 pm »
I have tried using a closed and rapidly opening fist towards the top of my crash helmet, ( to represent flashing), and have been warned accordingly using the same method, but many would not understand the message being conveyed.
A -la Jim Davidson nik, nik, nik, nik   :rollin

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2023, 05:41:48 pm »
I have tried using a closed and rapidly opening fist towards the top of my crash helmet, ( to represent flashing), and have been warned accordingly using the same method, but many would not understand the message being conveyed.

I use the same method in the UK.

In France, its left hand out to the left and wave it up and down around knee height.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2023, 06:48:00 pm »
Warning other road users of a Speed Camera can be classed as Police Obstruction:

Flashing your lights at other motorists to warn them about speed cameras could count as police obstruction.

GoSafe says that if you were caught, the court might consider the following:

Was there any obstruction of a constable?
    Was the constable acting lawfully in the execution of their duty?
    Was the obstruction intentional?

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, you could get serve 1 month in prison for police obstruction and potentially get a level 3 fine, which is £1,000.

https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/speeding-law-faqs

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2023, 07:26:14 pm »
That proves speed cameras are not there for safety and you would/should win in court. By warning people, they slow down and achieve the alleged aim of the camera to slow people down.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2023, 11:01:54 pm »
That proves speed cameras are not there for safety and you would/should win in court. By warning people, they slow down and achieve the alleged aim of the camera to slow people down.
Well said  :agree

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2023, 11:06:27 pm »

I use the same method in the UK.

In France, its left hand out to the left and wave it up and down around knee height.
Yes - isn't that a slow down signal - in that case I am not warning them of the police up ahead but I am just telling them to slow down.
 Something I do a lot actually if I have past a tractor or something coming the other way on some bends and I see a bike not far behind who would not know abut the almost stationary tractor around the corner.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2023, 11:30:21 am »

Unfortunately that's very true :-(