Date: 27-04-24  Time: 06:37 am

Author Topic: Fly-by-wire clutch?  (Read 790 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Fly-by-wire clutch?
« on: 01 July 2021, 08:04:49 pm »
I've just seen this in an email from WeMoto:

A patent image has emerged recently from Honda showing a new style clutch lever which is electronically monitored and works by sending feedback to a hydraulic pressure control which engages or disengages the clutch as required.

[Honda] think that computer operated clutch-by-wire is the way forward for a safer and better riding experience. The position of the clutch lever would be monitored electronically and feedback sent to the hydraulic pressure gauge to control the clutch, once the optimum clutch position had been selected by the computer.

Using this new system the clutch would be disengaged while not in use, instead of the current system where its default position is engaged, unless the lever is pulled.

[...]

So is this something you would like and are pleased to see or do you like the feedback from your fingers on the clutch lever? Slightly crazily it seems, Honda are including a 'reactive force generator' to act against the lever to make it feel more like an old style clutch

https://www.wemoto.com/news/article/1515/are_honda_heading_for_clutchbywire_for_m

Ok, fly-by-wire systems aren't exactly new (after all, that's sort of what the TPS does) and it would stop hassles with broken cables, but I'm really not sure about this bit: "Using this new system the clutch would be disengaged while not in use, instead of the current system where its default position is engaged, unless the lever is pulled."

Does that mean you'd have to keep the clutch pulled in all the time to get it to work and release it at traffic lights?

WDYT?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Fly-by-wire clutch?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2021, 11:24:16 pm »
Its bad enough to have my car wanting to turn off the engine every time I stop. I hate it and it's the first button I press to deactivate the bloody thing after starting. Now they want to decide for me when to pull the clutch.  :'(