Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:34 pm

Author Topic: Failed MOT!  (Read 1456 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Failed MOT!
« on: 09 April 2013, 07:36:54 pm »
My Gen1 1000 failed its MOT today because on full lock the handguards, ( the ones that are meant for a V Strom), touched the screen by a minute amount. To get it to pass I removed them while the MOT guy waited. So if you have any handguards fitted just check they do not foul.
The MOT guy said most bikes he fails are for aftermarket parts such as exhausts and lights.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: Failed MOT!
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
I'd have told him it was the last time he'd ever be seeing me.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2013, 08:16:46 pm »
I'd have told him it was the last time he'd ever be seeing me.

+1 How tight is that!! How often do actually get you handlebars in full lock?? I'd be fooked with my renthals!!  :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
Seems reasonable ebough to me. No fouling on full lock. He coulda said to remove before it became an issue right enough. Place I usually go to does free retest within 28 days so it would be awrite if ue had that but still...
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2013, 03:18:58 am »
Mine's been in and passed, advisories for worn back tyre, worn front brake pads and lightly binding brakes.

To be fair, all things I were aware of, and haven't done yet.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2013, 10:41:43 am »
That seems a bit crap.  Can you get to full lock?  Mine passed with the bar (well, the throttle cables and back of the controls) touch the faring enough to bend it when you go hard left.  I was told as long as it hits full lock and doesn't trap anything on that side, or the other side against the tank, that it's fine.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2013, 11:10:30 am »
I was asked to remove my Yellow lens covers. not because he thought they looked poncey but was worried they might distort the beam.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2013, 01:07:28 pm »
The MOT tester said he would not pass them as if I was in an accident and it was found that the steering was in any way compromised he could be found liable.
I have been using this guy for about 10 years and I would rather have someone who is a bit keen doing the test, this is the first time he has found anything and he lent me some tools to do it there and then so he could then pass it which I am happy with.
I have a spare screen so I am going to mess about with it and grind some little cutouts in it and if it looks ok then refit the guards with the modded screen.