Date: 01-05-24  Time: 16:19 pm

Author Topic: How tight is hand tight?  (Read 1587 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
How tight is hand tight?
« on: 20 March 2013, 11:43:50 am »
I changed my oil and filter yesterday and was just wondering how do you know the oil filter is on tight enough when you just do it up hand tight. How tight is it meant to be? What I consider hand tight is going to be different from other people. I am always slightly paranoid afterwards that it is too loose and will lose oil or that it is too tight and has deformed and will leak. I use work gloves that give a good grip,any one else have any other method that they use?

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: How tight is hand tight?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2013, 11:52:02 am »
usually use my "other" hand (i.e. im right handed so use my left hand to tighten the filter). tight enough that im not pulling any muscles at the time.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2013, 03:50:31 pm »
I do mine up hand tight + then another quarter turn, any more and its a PITA to remove again for the next oil change

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2013, 06:12:26 pm »
According to Haynes manual
Tighten filter as much as you can by hand or by number of turns once seal seated as by instructions on the packaging. As Kebab says this can result in filter being a pain to undo next change.
I to solve this bought a Yamaha filter wrench that you can tighten with a socket or the square off a half inch extention bar. The torque setting is 17nm.
filter wrench is only about a tenner and worth every penny when want to remove filter with no hassles  :)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
I have the same sort of filter wrench but have never used it to put a filter on,only used it to remove them.I will stick it on my torque wrench and see if it is 17nm.
Thanks for the replies. 

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2013, 08:01:58 pm »
+1 on the filter wrench. They're dirt cheap and a sight more useful than a chain or a screwdriver. And you can torque the filter up properly afterwards!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2013, 10:07:22 am »
I put some oil on the rubber seal (smear over). Then i tighten it by hand and not full strength (since I'm known by a talent for stripping threads). Then I wipe clean round the filter. Fill new oil. Run the bike and see if it leaks. It never does. So it doesn't take much force. As time goes by, when I change oil and take filter off, it is quite hard to undo. Easy on - hard to go off.

So no need to make it too tight.  Do it light and check if it leaks when warmed up proper.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.