slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
ais
« on: 09 November 2012, 07:40:20 pm »
I am going to remove my ais system at long last. I have a new set of M8 taps and 4 stainless bolts to cap off the exhaust ports but I don`t know what size plastic caps I need for blocking off the other outlets.
Does anyone know what size I need or is there another way of blocking them off neatly?

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: ais
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2012, 10:53:25 pm »
I've had mine done but can't remember sizes, Justy1000 sourced all the bits so I'll text him and maybe he can tell you in a little while?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2012, 02:46:55 pm »
We were thinking of doing this to my sons bike, does it make any difference to the running?

GrahamB

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • FZ750 proboards forum
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2012, 03:12:50 pm »
No difference to running other than stops the overrun popping/banging if you have a can fitted. Saves a bit of weight, makes plug access easier & looks a lot neater.  8)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2012, 07:06:26 pm »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
Cap the #4 intake stub with another vacuum cap same as fitted to carbs 1 - 3, or cut the AIS pipe, leave it on the stub and plug it with a bolt.

Plenty of bottle tops are a similar size to the airbox stub.  A dab of silicon and you're sorted.  While you're looking for one to do the job, duct tape over the stub will do the trick temporarily.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2012, 09:43:45 am »
Cap the #4 intake stub with another vacuum cap same as fitted to carbs 1 - 3, or cut the AIS pipe, leave it on the stub and plug it with a bolt.

Plenty of bottle tops are a similar size to the airbox stub.  A dab of silicon and you're sorted.  While you're looking for one to do the job, duct tape over the stub will do the trick temporarily.

Thanks for that, I was thinking along those lines but it is nice to have a bit of encouragement from someone who really knows what he is doing.

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2012, 09:24:53 am »
I've had mine done but can't remember sizes, Justy1000 sourced all the bits so I'll text him and maybe he can tell you in a little while?

i made a load of AIS kits up a while back. but thanks to the Gov i lost my job! unfuntunately i cant give you any measurement as all the drawing i had for bike bit i made have been miss-placed while i was emptying my work bench.

as for the rest of the bits, the blanking cap which goes over the carb "nipple" (2nd in from the left in pic below) is just a normal cap which is the same as the ohter 3.

as for the big cap....... i'll have to find out where i got that from (at work at the mo) & will let you know.

sorry i cant be more help. :\

justy1000

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2012, 01:39:49 pm »
I am back at work wednesday so I am going to have a scrounge round.The painters use different size red caps to block off holes that have been threaded to prevent paint getting in and I remembered that when we do deep hole drilling the gun drills have blue caps on the end to protect them when not in use.These range in size from 3/16" to above 1" so I should be able find something.
One more thing,when I put the cap heads in the exhaust ports I was just going to seal them with plenty of threadlock or instant gasket stuff,would this suffice to seal them ok?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2012, 07:42:34 pm »
You won't need any sealant in the exhaust stubs.  Just seat the cap heads snugly and they'll be fine. :)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 November 2012, 08:44:00 pm »

i made a load of AIS kits up a while back. but thanks to the Gov i lost my job! unfuntunately i cant give you any measurement as all the drawing i had for bike bit i made have been miss-placed while i was emptying my work bench.

as for the rest of the bits, the blanking cap which goes over the carb "nipple" (2nd in from the left in pic below) is just a normal cap which is the same as the ohter 3.

as for the big cap....... i'll have to find out where i got that from (at work at the mo) & will let you know.

sorry i cant be more help. :\

justy1000

AND A BLOODY GOOD KIT IT WAS TOO!!!!!