Date: 01-05-24  Time: 17:08 pm

Author Topic: carb balancing!  (Read 1045 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
carb balancing!
« on: 05 August 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
I was given a carb balancer a few months back for free,one of the older type with dials,so i decided today to balance the carbs.Everything was easy to do but locating the adjuster screw for the carbs on the left hand side was a nightmare,I literally spent ten minutes looking for it using a decent torch!I had looked at the pictures on Pats motorcycle page but still found it difficult to locate.
Now I `ve managed I`m happy with the results,the tickover is smoother and the engine seems to be smoother at low revs now.
Has anyone found an easy way to locate the screws? I was going to put a dab of white paint on them but I didn`t have a brush small enough or long enough to reach,I had enough trouble finding a screwdriver that would reach.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
carb balancing!
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2012, 07:45:40 pm »
My 1st attempt was as per yours took a while to do 1hr In total however now I use a pencil torch it's easy peasy as you already no where to look for said screws, mine was not much out but after set up runs very smooth low down with instant drive.
« Last Edit: 05 August 2012, 07:46:48 pm by cable tie »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: carb balancing!
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2012, 10:28:43 pm »
It's usually crud on the screwhead which makes it hard to locate.  Clean it up with a blast of brake/carb cleaner and a brush and you'll be good to go in future.  It also helps having it done it for the first time - the next time is always a breeze. :)

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
Re: carb balancing!
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2012, 04:49:36 pm »
yep, cant be a blob of white / yellow paint on screws. saves a lot of searching about next time its done. pretty surprising just how much difference a few little tweaks can make to the bike- running.....hopefully for the better !!  all good stuff i say !!