Date: 01-05-24  Time: 16:12 pm

Author Topic: Crash bungs or engine bars?  (Read 1959 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Crash bungs or engine bars?
« on: 06 June 2014, 03:01:02 pm »
Which do you think work best? The bungs look better but would the bars give more protection, and I suppose the type of `off` could affect each one differently. The reason I don`t know which to get is I can get engine bars for only about £20 more than bungs but as I have never `tested` either I do not know which to get.
 Has anyone got any real world feedback about how effective either of them is?

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Crash bungs or engine bars?
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2014, 03:26:19 pm »
I've only had bungs on mine, but I had a 30 mph off when the front wheel completely went on a drain cover. The bike went straight down on the right hand side. Tbh the bungs saved nearly all the damage that could of occurred. The front fairing cracked, bar end grazed, slight graze on last 50mm of standard exhaust. But pegs, mirrors, indicators, levers and engine casing all survived. Me not so well with fractured wrist and badly bruised knee.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2014, 04:07:26 pm »
Gently laid mine down following mix-up with the side stand on recent Scottish tour.

Annoyed as first time it's ever been over, but the crash bung saved the day. Zero damage.

Have to say though I DO like the look of the silver style crash bars. I think they look great. I have some but never got around to fitting them yet, it's on the list.

Andy

Mattsplat

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSXR750RK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2014, 04:27:14 pm »
Bungs for drops, bars for crashes.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2014, 06:13:43 pm »
There's a thread (possibly in the FZ6 forum) where someone was offering Engine Bars.

I looked at the option of getting them in stead of bungs, but having read details of accidents involving both, it seems that the bars increase the risk of upper leg injury because the bike will "lever" down onto the leg in an Off.

So I'm sticking with the bungs.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2014, 08:28:10 pm »
Had bars on my FZS600 and they served well for the 12 years I had it, no offs but a few drops and 1 theft and recovered which left the fairing looking like they'd dropped it several times.

The bars never stopped the alternator case from getting scratched but seemd to stop any serious damage.

I've got bungs on the FZ1 and have no desire to test them!

AllyBally

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2014, 03:23:04 am »
Got bungs on the Thou, no intention of testing them
Had engine bars on my old CB900 years ago, saved the engine when I had an off, but I think it contributed to the damage to the rest of the bike. But then the engine is more expensive to replace/repair than most of the rest, so I guess it's down to your preference.
But as Graham said there has been instances where they've  contributed to upper leg injuries, if I'd not come off before it hit the deck, my leg would have been under it, instead the bars,tank and seat took it
The voices told me to do it !!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2014, 08:55:58 am »
Judging by the responses I think I will go with the crash bungs. Hopefully I will not have a crash but knowing me with my short legs I will probably drop the bike on its side!
Thanks for the helpful replies. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2014, 01:13:14 pm »
Everything you ever wanted to know about them both is here  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1655.msg95874.html#msg95874
I would say go for bars and the lower ones are a good option without looking too big
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2014, 02:13:42 pm »
Everything you ever wanted to know about them both is here  http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1655.msg95874.html#msg95874
I would say go for bars and the lower ones are a good option without looking too big

Thanks for that link, I should use the search facility more often!
Now I am thinking to fit bungs and bars, as both seem to have advantages and disadvantages.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2014, 02:23:31 pm »
The only advantage of bungs is that they (may) look a bit neater, so putting both on defeats the ony thing bungs have over bars and I think they both use the same mounting points so you wont get both on.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2014, 02:27:49 pm »
The only advantage of bungs is that they (may) look a bit neater, so putting both on defeats the ony thing bungs have over bars and I think they both use the same mounting points so you wont get both on.

Never thought of that.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2014, 10:24:18 pm »
One other observation about bungs: the effect they have may well depend on which type you get.

I've got the Yamaha OEM ones on my FZ6 which bolt to the frame, however they have a deliberate "weak spot" where the bolt goes through the bung to secure it to the bike, so if it hits the ground too hard, that will break, rather than the impact being transmitted to the frame as can happen with some bungs that just have a bolt through the middle.

Yes, it means that if you drop the bike you may have to buy a new bung (and the Yam ones aren't cheap), but that's cheaper than a new frame.