Date: 27-04-24  Time: 07:07 am

Author Topic: Headlight strip down?  (Read 882 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Headlight strip down?
« on: 12 October 2022, 02:46:39 pm »
Hi people, I’ve just got hold of a 2000 fazer 600 and in the left (as you sit on the bike) headlight has a metal bracket that sits over the bulb inside the lamp unit. This has come loose and is flapping about in the headlight and will probably fail an MOT as it affects the beam. Has anyone stripped a headlight down or does anybody know if they come apart? I’m guessing a new/secondhand unit won’t be cheap!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight strip down?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2022, 03:29:51 pm »
I just removed mine completely.
From memory you have to pull it out of the right side.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2022, 04:19:11 pm »
Ok do you mean the metal bracket in the headlight itself? Did you have to take the actual headlight unit apart to get it out?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2022, 04:49:03 pm »
Ok do you mean the metal bracket in the headlight itself? Did you have to take the actual headlight unit apart to get it out?

The metal cup reflector thingy.
It was done with everything in place, and I remember pulling it out of the H4 bulb side because it can't come out of the left due to the smaller bulb holder size.
Was a long time ago though, I can't remember exactly what I used to get it out, sorry?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2022, 05:00:56 pm »
It would seem after reading an age old post that mine had already been removed, but I remember discussing it.  :groan

Here is what I found though:

If you are trying to take the metal cone out, you don't have to abuse the headlights at all.

1. Remove left bulb and bend the cones legs to allow it to fall in to the headlight casing.

2. Remove right bulb
3. Use something to prod / pull the cone out through the gap on the right as it is large enough to get it out.
4. Refit bulbs, job done, have a brew

Took me literally 5 mins to do it yesterday. I have a handy torch which has a telescopic magnet in the centre which is damn useful for getting to bolts and things that I drop - this worked perfectly to grab hold of the metal cone and pull it out
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 05:12:16 pm by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2022, 05:10:06 pm »
Probably worth a look for you too, seeing as it's relevant.

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7306.msg70092.html#msg70092
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 05:10:37 pm by darrsi »

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2022, 09:36:09 pm »
Nice 1 thanks for all your advice, that’s put my mind at ease! Did it affect the beam pattern after you removed it, I don’t even know what it’s for!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2022, 05:18:38 am »
Nice 1 thanks for all your advice, that’s put my mind at ease! Did it affect the beam pattern after you removed it, I don’t even know what it’s for!

The lights are pretty ropey at the best of times, as long as beam is at the correct height and direction it'll be fine in an MOT.
In fact is it's not the bulbs that are the issue, it's the reflective part of the housing that is the problem, it's simply not very good. Putting the best bulbs in like Osrams for example can help a little, but not much to be honest. A lot of people add LED spotlights which help massively, plus i also use mine as daylight running lights as well, as they use very little power in comparison to the headlights and are very bright.