Date: 28-04-24  Time: 18:04 pm

Author Topic: cage advice (again)  (Read 6245 times)

chilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
cage advice (again)
« on: 19 January 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
Its time for a change of car as this bugger of mine is too thirsty and the tax is too high :o I want a good sized saloon or hatchback and have narrowed it down to two. I quite fancy a passat or mondeo (don't laugh) diesel around 57 or 08 reg. I have sat in both last weekend and am stuck on various things. I have heard horror story's about both of these cars concerning turbo's and the dreaded dual mass flywheel. On the other hand i have read about owners with over 150,000 miles and no problems at all. There are plenty out there with not too bad mileage (between 70 and 90k) full service history etc..What do you lot think? The mondeo would be more practical but the passat just felt like a really nice place to be. The wife wants to go looking for a 1.6 focus estate but i am fighting hard to change her mind :kiss . Any good or bad experiences on either of these would be welcome. No more french shyte for me!

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: cage advice (again)
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2012, 06:23:43 pm »
VW every time mate. If you go for the Ford, get the Zetec engine.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2012, 07:05:57 pm »
Any car can be shitter you just can't tell.
Ford Zetec is a trim style not an engine. Although is the best trim style.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2012, 07:28:18 pm »

Zetec has been BOTH an engine AND a trim style. But it has been used on many different engines, so saying "Get the zetec engine" doesn't help much.

Anyways, go for the VW, far better  ;) I've driven a few Ford diesels with work, and without exception, I've hated them.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2012, 08:11:33 pm »
The Ford TDCi diesel is a slightly modified and re-mapped version of the Peugeot HDi engine.  Everyone reckons the HDi is one of the best diesels around, quite how Ford managed to screw it up so much is a mystery.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2012, 08:32:44 pm »
Volkswagen without a doubt. I did my apprenticeship on Fords, and worked on them for years. I'd NEVER own one!!! :rolleyes

chilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
what about all the horror stories with the dmf i have heard? i have even looked on ebay at solid flywheel conversions (about £250) my mate is a mechanic and would fit it for beer money. not thinking about doing the job if it doesn't need it  but its an option for when it starts rattlin

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2012, 08:54:53 pm »
I suppose I am just anti-Ford. My dads got an 05 plate Passat with nearly 200,000 miles on and all weve ever done is standard servicing on it. To be honest most new diesels go on forever nowadays, but as has been mentioned before you do get the odd horror story.
Best bet, whichever way you go is to buy one with a full service history, and if its got a cambelt find out when was it changed last as this can be an expensive job if you take it to a garage, or worse if it snaps.... :eek

DrGadget

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
    • DrGadget
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2012, 09:40:18 am »
 If you are thinking about a high mileage just be careful about buying something with a DPF (diesel particulate filter), could be worth a Google for more info on replace costs.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2012, 10:23:02 am »
Mondeo has been best in class for several years now. More practical and a better drive than the Passat but the VW is a bit classier.

Neither would be a bad choice but the condition/history etc. of the specific car you end up with and the hand of lady luck will probably have a bigger bearing on your ownership experience than which make/model you go for out of those two.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 January 2012, 10:48:18 am »
A4 avant 2litre diesel, 140 hp 235 lb torque 45-50 mpg, quick practical and handles well.
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2012, 11:05:53 am »
[/qu   

Zetec is an engine coined by the Ford Motor Company, and it is a peach. Second best Ford engine only to the Cosworth in my opinion. Although engineered for a totaly different purpose. The Zetec name was also used as a trim code, but here in the UK it was an engine name. I had a 1.2 Fiesta Zetec about 10 years ago and it was a fantastic motor. Easy to work on, efficient and sharp. Have a read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zetec_engine
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

chr999chr

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2012, 11:24:21 am »
My mate is a ford mechanic he said if you are buying a mondeo go for the one with the 2.2 ltr diesel engine. He rarely sees them in the workshop

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
I have a 06 Mondeo estate tdci 130 diesel estate 85k on it now and it’s never missed a beat in 4 years.
I get it service once a year at the local independent garage and it never needs anything except consumables.
DMF either go or they don’t and you can convert them to solid (I haven’t bothered).
They are a really good 2nd hand buy as you get loads of car for your money ,mine is the Zetec so climate control, cruise control etc
They are quite quick and handle really well too, they are dull but hell you have a bike for fun :-)
Its just a ride

clanadam

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2012, 01:16:56 am »
I've got a 2005 2.2 TDCi Titanium X with 124,000 miles on it. It's a crackin spec for the money and is still a great car to drive. It's not mentally fast but it is quick and it's not a hot hatch handling wise - obviously. Clutch went 12 months ago and with the  dreaded dmf it cost me over £1k :-( I've just put ST springs on the front as one decided to snap before xmas in the train station car park ffs. I've also replaced both window mechanisms and had alternator & power steering pump issues. But once all is sorted it's still a great car lol.

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2012, 07:32:40 am »
I have an older passat with 108000 miles, and it's a great car. There's a vw forum with great advice from vag trained mechanics, www.vwforum.co.uk.

I recently looked at postings about the new shape passat 3C I think, anyway this bloke crasher who has a business that deals with vws, says to avoid the early ones, 05 reg I think, because they are the ones that have the most of all the horror stories, the electronic handbrake is one that comes up regularly, the calipers are expensive, and the injectors are a fortune too.

I would go for the VW, I've had 2 without any major problems, good to drive on long journeys and good on diesel. One thing I've always been told, even though it may be complete rubbish as I'm a mechanical half wit, is to let it tick over for a couple of minutes to let the turbo cool down a bit.
Onwards and Upwards

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2012, 12:24:58 pm »
the electronic handbrake is one that comes up regularly

I mean who needs an electronic hand break?   FFS.  Why do manufactueres keep giving us this shit.  Anyway a small motor (similar to what you find in a drill driver) drives the piston in on the rear caliper to apply the hand break.   When you release it on a hill a computer calculates the angle of the car and the torque required to hold the car and releases when the required torque is applied, so I'm told.

Fella at work had one.  He parked it on a hill across from a petrol station.  He applied the hand break, got out and locked the car.  A few mintes later the car rolled down the hill, across the road and crashed into the petrol station.  He got it all fixed up, but 6 mnths later the brake fault lamp was back up and the hand break doesn't work again.

Owners manual now advises to park in gear with wheels turned towards kerb.  Good hand-break huh?

VW quoted 400 quid to fix.  Basically 400 quid for the bit with the motor that bolts onto the calliper.  After having loads of trouble with the car he just wanted rid of it.  He brought the motor bit into our workshop to see if we could fix it and get rid of his fault lamp.

What happens is part of the casing splits down the side, shit gets in and it seizes up.   The gearbox ratio is crazy in it, so you can't turn shaft that drives the calliper in to try and free off the sealed motor.  You can actually strip it, clean it all and rebuild but you may destroy it in doing so.  Anyway we just stuck it in a vice, filled it with tri-flow and left to soak.  Stuck a De-Walt 18v battery on the end of it, big flash and away it went again (forget bench power supplies etc. you need a powerful battery to drive it)  A bit of super glue down the crack, he bolted it on and the hand break works again.  The Passat was traded in 4 days later.

Anyway has nobody mentioned Skoda?  Octavia is same platform and running gear as the Golf, but stretched out a bit - bigger.  Decent sized car, looks good too, drives like any VAG group car.  Petrol VRS would be my choice, but 170BHP diesel VRS version is ideal for bigger milages.  140BHP diesel L&K version very nice too.  Forget Audi, silly prices for much the same thing. 

chilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2012, 01:52:46 pm »
the citroen c4 picasso i have at the moment has the electric handbreak and hill assist on the footbrake. never had any probs with the car in any way its just a greedy bastard and costs £245 a year to tax :'( . the wife has a 10 reg peugeot 107 and its a little cracker,sounds like a bugatti veyron when you give it the beans. i would never have guessed a 1000cc 3 cylinder car could be such a laugh :lol

Kev8261

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2012, 04:36:29 pm »
I'm no expert, but I have to say I'm struggling to believe a 107 sounds like a Bugatti.
Onwards and Upwards

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2012, 04:52:08 pm »
I'm no expert, but I have to say I'm struggling to believe a 107 sounds like a Bugatti.

depends what CD you've got playing...

chilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2012, 06:41:38 pm »
maybe not from the outside but inside it sounds proper fruity and growly :lol . saw another car today to throw in the mix,honda civic 2.2 diesel ;) . looks really nice in red. apparently they go quite well too

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 January 2012, 07:05:27 pm »
I've never driven one, but I heard from more than one source, that the Honda 2.2 diesel is a peach, one of the best out there.

But its in a Honda, so be prepared to age 25 years as the salesman hands over the keys ;)

fazer390

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 January 2012, 10:02:53 pm »
I'm with 'bigralphie'  :)
I was in a similar position; looking for a practical economical diesel. I recently bought a 2005 Mondeo tdci 130 Ghia X.
70k on the clock, FFSH, practical quick car, I'm averaging 57mpg and it's fully loaded (leather, electric climate seats, Sony sound system, cruise control, auto lights & wipers etc...
I did look at a Passat amongst others, but for the same money the Passat didn't have half the extras as my Mondeo choice. The only upside with the Passat for me was the badge and to be honest both cars have their good and bad traits.
I beleive I made the right choice with the Ford by following my head and not my heart...  :D

AKA - Jase / Carbonkid...

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2012, 11:31:41 pm »
ok my 2 penny worth!

just bought a Skoda fabia scout 1.6d (i pick it up on thursday) its 3k miles on 11 plate for 12K I would look at the octavia if you want that size, its a VW engine and cheaper to buy!!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 January 2012, 03:44:32 pm »
Old Mondeos are very cheap ... You can get a 06 reg 2.0 zetec for £3K .

Equivalent Passat would be £4.5K

Personally , I have an 03 reg Mondeo 1.8 and its worth the princely sum of £1300.
Its bloody marvelous, and I'm keeping it forever.
I love it in the same way I love my washing machine - After 9 years everything still works! :)