Date: 21-05-24  Time: 18:17 pm

Author Topic: Spring on the gear selector  (Read 5742 times)

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Spring on the gear selector
« on: 08 May 2012, 10:40:08 pm »
I thought I was going potty.

Sometimes when going up the gearbox I change gear and when I want to change up again the foot lever moves as it is supposed to but there is NO gear selected.

Try again and you change gear as normal.
I thought I was going mad but I am not.....
It can happen between 2-3gear 4-5 and even in 6th.

You change gear and then you can move the gear selector as you do when changing gear but no gear is selected.
It's like the spring which returns the lever is getting tired.
Has anyone else come across this and if so what is the fix....

I found the following ....

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?ModelID=9657&pageID=19&m=YAMAHA+FZS600SP+FAZER+SHIFT+SHAFT&uid=0

see item 2 listed as spring torsion....

Been looking on the internet and there comments about shift shaft spring problems and people have commented about two springs.

A return spring and a much smaller 'reset spring' on the other side of the gearbox. Could they be getting tired.

Bike is a MY03 with 28k miles on the clock.
Help required.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2012, 11:20:31 pm by mobile mouse »

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Re: Spring on the gear selector
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2012, 11:43:28 pm »
do you mean that you're trying to shift more than one gear whilst having the clutch pulled in? I'm not completely sure but I don't think gearboxes used in bikes allow you to shift past a gear without engaging it.
thou shalt not kick

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2012, 11:45:20 pm »
Funnily enough i had this exact problem sorted on mine last week. I went to work and on the way i couldn't go past 2nd gear, at first it felt like i was in top gear with nowhere else to go, so a bit of clonking and it then jumped up to 3rd. Then a bit further on it did it again, and i noticed that it had slightly gone past 2nd into a non existent place, almost like it had found a little place sideways, if that makes sense? Gave it a slight tap down and it was properly into 2nd again then it was hit or miss with a bit more clonking to go back up to 3rd.

I was told that the 'selector drum detent wheel' was slightly worn, and should really be replaced, and while it was apart to change a spring as well. Whether it's the one you're saying i'm not actually sure, as i let the mechanic get on with it?

What actually happened was originally a 1 week wait from Fowlers for the 'detent wheel', which then turned into a 4 week wait after a phone call from them.

There was no way i could wait that long so the bike was put back together with just the spring changed and it HAS sorted it out.
In fact i was told afterwards to get a new clutch cable as well, which i did, and now the bike changes gear so smoothly it feels like a brand new bike!!

« Last Edit: 09 May 2012, 10:42:13 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2012, 09:29:09 am »
UPDATE: I just spoke to my mechanic and it was the gear change "MAIN SELECTOR SPRING" that was changed, and it's certainly sorted it out on my bike.

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2012, 12:53:18 pm »
Thanks for the info.

The other spring is in the following picture item:13

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?ModelID=9657&pageID=18&m=YAMAHA+FZS600SP+FAZER+SHIFT+CAM%2E+FORK&uid=0

Is this is the "MAIN SELECTOR SPRING".

I will get out the Haynes manual and find the part and see what it says regarding replacing.

The bike changes gear fine no difficulty at all, the clutch cable is definitely stretched I have taken up slack at both ends.
I have a replacement waiting to be fitted.
It's just after changing gear I have to consciously check the gear selector in case it needs another toe up. If there is resistance then I know next time I change gear it will change into the next gear.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2012, 01:18:22 pm »
It more than likely is that spring, BUT, i don't want to say that it 'definitely' is the right one and it turns out not be!!
If you want to email me direct i can always give you my mechanics phone number so you can verify exactly what he did if you want to be positive, as i said before i just gave him the bike and let him do his stuff.
I don't really think i should put his number out on a forum.

mobile mouse

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
I agree don't put the phone number on the forum.
I will check the manual tonight but someone else may come up with the answer.

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2012, 11:46:47 am »
Hi Mouse, did you find which spring that referred to?