Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:11 pm

Author Topic: Speed Camera  (Read 2680 times)

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Speed Camera
« on: 13 April 2015, 11:01:38 am »
I have a friend who thinks he may have been flashed by a speed camera  :D

Ok yes it was me, and I feel stupid because I knew it was there. The thing is though, the lines on the road were on the other lane (single carriage A road) and I was only doing about 3 mph over the 50 mph speed limit. So what are ther odds on me receiving a NIP?

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, if you can't do the time don't do the crime and all that. I'm just asking out of curiosity. (1 week to go before I find out!)
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Camera
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2015, 11:21:16 am »
Does this mean you were overtaking what with the lines being in the other lane? Or was the camera facing you on the other side of the road?

If it's the latter then you are fine since for one there is no number plate on the front of your bike ;)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2015, 11:25:08 am »
you should be fine.
10% plus 2 for you to get the nip if you do 57 or more mph.
this depend on different forces some are very strict others no so strict.
these are only guidelines for each force...

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/SpeedVSFines/SpeedVSFines.htm

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
« Last Edit: 13 April 2015, 11:28:09 am by johnakay »
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2015, 11:56:27 am »
So if the camera was on the other side of the road was the flash for a car on that side, and if there is a 10% +2 then would the camera not be set to flash at 57, 53 seems a little low.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2015, 12:59:25 pm »
Does this mean you were overtaking what with the lines being in the other lane? Or was the camera facing you on the other side of the road?

If it's the latter then you are fine since for one there is no number plate on the front of your bike ;)

I was in the cage, not overtaking although gaining on the car in front. And nobody coming the other way. Pretty sure it was me who set it off but at the time the first flash went off the speedo said 55 and I know it reads high by 2 or 3 mph
« Last Edit: 13 April 2015, 01:01:04 pm by crickleymal »
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2015, 03:48:30 pm »
Does that mean that the camera was on the opposite side of the road? Just strange with the white lines being on the opposite side is all unless your side had been freshly tarmac'd etc

As for speed laws - the 10% +2 generally seems to apply to mobile cameras and officers. Less so for fixed cameras which tend to be a bit more strict from the experiences of friends (no guarantee's though) - if the camera was on your side and you caused the flash as you went past then odds are that you will probably get something through imo

Still, I've been certain that I've been caught speeding before and so far have a clean record :\

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2015, 08:28:20 pm »
If you are over the 10% +1 (+2) you would still be in the range to do a speed course, bit of a pain as its 4 hours but no points it cost me £75 in 2012 and you can't do it if its less than 3 years since your last one (I think). You can take it anywhere you want and the price does vary.