Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:27 pm

Author Topic: Universal spoiler scrren  (Read 1848 times)

MikeBike

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Universal spoiler scrren
« on: 29 October 2020, 10:56:14 pm »
Hello guys.
I always thought that my helmet was really noise, but I just found out that its the original screen (FZS600 1998-99) that sends the turbulent airflow directly to my helmet visor. I confirm this by riding at about 60 miles per hour standing (so no turbulent airflow from screen), and there was absolute silence... So I have to either fit a smaller screen (which I think there is none) or a longer touring screen. but before paying too much for a screen that might not do the trick, I though of buying an universal spoiler screen extension https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Universal-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Windscreen-Deflector-with-M1U/324225293289?epid=24039489662&hash=item4b7d555be9:g:H3oAAOSwMl1fCHX2
Does anybody have an opinion on this part? How is the quality? To assemble it you have to pierce the original screen or you just fit it like a clip on? Do you have the same noisy issue, and how did you fix it?
Thanks

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Universal spoiler scrren
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2020, 08:46:20 am »
MRA do something very similar that clips on, but they're much more expensive. There's Chinese clamp on alternatives that would be worth a try. I'll have a look through ebay later. You don't want to go drilling holes through a perfectly good screen really, unless you could get a replacement for sensible money.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2020, 10:04:08 am »
Replacement double bubble screens normally solve that problem. Just enough extra lift to take the airflow over the helmet

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2020, 10:21:47 am »
If you search ebay with "Clip on motorcycle windscreen deflector", there's quite a few to choose from around the 15 quid mark. I bought one with the intention of using it during the boring bits of a trip abroad this year, but obviously that didn't happen so it remains untested.As mtread posted, most people go for a double bubble screen, but that is another minefield in attempting to find the one that suits you best. A recommendation from someone of similar build to yourself, would be the best bet.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2020, 11:51:42 am »
I wouldn't touch that Chinese sh1t with a barge pole, likely to break whilst you are fitting it. I always tell this story when the question cones up. I brought a double screen and found it no different to the OEM one, got everything ready to swap and rode a test route came back and quickly swapped and did the same route same speed and could not tell any difference. Couldn't be arsed to put the OEM one back on and sell  the D/B so kept the OEM as spare.
The D/B looks better I thinkHere is a picture of mine, if you look at the end of the actual fibreglass fairing you can see that the screen starts flush the end, now have a look at other forcers bikes and you will see that some D/B screens start past the fairing and are more aggressively upright than mine which I think is the reason mine is not so effective.
I brought mine second hand - maybe the fella sold it for the same reason, the make is something like  nuVo but the name has long since been polished off.
I don't mind the wind blast as IMO its all part of the experience - feeling the air. ( I am 5'8" ) but have longer arms than my height would suggest so I may be sitting slightly more upright to start with.   

Now look at this foccers blue bike it looks like the D/B screen is at least 2 inch higher that the end of the fairing and more agressivly angled.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2020, 12:04:35 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2020, 04:44:17 pm »
Another forum member has been using one of the shit Chinese ones for the last 6 months or so, with no problems and is pleased with it, other than the colour of the tint.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2020, 02:14:20 am »
I had the same turbulence problem and solved it by fitting an Ermax touring screen which if I remember correctly is 60mm taller. It cost around £98.00 and was money well spent.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2020, 05:18:24 pm »
I bought this about year ago, made huge difference from stock screen, I have bar risers fitted as well.  https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98/picture/screen_-_touring___tall

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2020, 12:38:53 pm »
I bought this about year ago, made huge difference from stock screen, I have bar risers fitted as well.  https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer/98/picture/screen_-_touring___tall
Do you mean this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ermax-Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-Touring-Screen-Light-Smoke-1998-2001-E010254063-/133255119051
It looks mahuusiv, looks like you ride looking through it.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 November 2020, 01:09:33 pm »
It looks huge but when fitted it's perfect. I'm just over 6 feet tall and it's spot on for me.
Good luck.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 November 2020, 04:25:10 pm »
It looks same one but i got mine from wemoto and its nearly half the price of ebay one.
as 7omly says it looks big in pic but is perfect for me and i'm 5'9-5'10 and your not looking through it.

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2020, 10:52:13 pm »
the blue one is mine and im 6 foot 4 to be honest I fitted it for the looks sad I know but got a adjustable add on  on my tdm and its a waste of space looking to get another screen

same speed and could not tell any difference. Couldn't be arsed to put the OEM one back on and sell  the D/B so kept the OEM as spare.
The D/B looks better I thinkHere is a picture of mine, if you look at the end of the actual fibreglass fairing you can see that the screen starts flush the end, now have a look at other forcers bikes and you will see that some D/B screens start past the fairing and are more aggressively upright than mine which I think is the reason mine is not so effective.
I brought mine second hand - maybe the fella sold it for the same reason, the make is something like  nuVo but the name has long since been polished off.
I don't mind the wind blast as IMO its all part of the experience - feeling the air. ( I am 5'8" ) but have longer arms than my height would suggest so I may be sitting slightly more upright to start with.   

Now look at this foccers blue bike it looks like the D/B screen is at least 2 inch higher that the end of the fairing and more agressivly angled.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2020, 10:38:55 am »
Out yesterday and thinking about all this, it occurred to that I did not notice any difference because the OEM screen was already successfully doing its job so I wouldn't notice any difference from a D?B screen. I do not get any buffering just wind blast that is commensurate with speed. 

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2020, 03:14:34 pm »
I'm glad you're happy with your screen. I managed to get some work done on the bike today so I took some photos. Just for information this is the Ermax screen fitted.
All the best.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2020, 05:44:22 pm »
Definitely higher than mine - I would say 100mm so