Date: 17-05-24  Time: 14:31 pm

Author Topic: US vs UK spec FZ1s ?  (Read 2821 times)

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
US vs UK spec FZ1s ?
« on: 09 April 2012, 12:32:55 pm »
Eyup, I've been looking at FZ1s for sale and there's quite a few US import bikes on the market , what are the differences in spec (if any) between these and UK spec bikes ? Cheers, Fletch
It's been real, it's been great, but it's not been REAL great.........

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
Re: US vs UK spec FZ1s ?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2012, 01:16:34 pm »
I think it only the indicators (They maybe bigger & also wired as running lights) and may have reflectors fitted on the forks legs
and they be US model colours
« Last Edit: 09 April 2012, 01:21:22 pm by chaparral02 »
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2012, 01:57:59 pm »
I have had a US import since 2004, dealer/importer should have sorted running lights before sale (indicators on all the time but flash off) and no hazard switch. Headlamps dip flat (no left or right bias), speedo is in MPH so no problems. Indicators are a bit bigger and as said may have reflectors under seat side or bottom of forks. Bought loads of accessories and tuning bits for mine without problem and all spares are the same ( well all I have needed). Wiring loom is different but is in Haynes or Workshop manual.

Treat as any second hand bike ans good luck.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2012, 02:19:44 pm »
I don't know if insurance companys class import bikes the same as cars,,But many insurance company will charge extra for imported cars
i don't know if this is the same for bikes,you have check with your insurance company..
08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2012, 07:15:07 pm »
Thanks for your replies, very helpful.

The one thing that does put me off a bit is the fact the indicators remain on (to operate as running lights) all the time, does anynw know if this can be altered (relatively easily) so they operate same as UK bikes ?

Cheers, Fletch

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2012, 11:11:07 pm »
As I said the running lights should not be on, they should have been sorted by selling dealer or importer to get SVA, I have never seen one with them working still.

No problem with insurance as bike s are parallel imports i.e. same as available in the UK just from another country. Grey imports from Japan etc are a different matter due to difficulty in getting spares or the prices thereof. Oh and the USA bikes come in two tone colours sometimes.

[size=78%] [/size]

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2012, 09:01:20 am »
Excellent, at least I can approach the dealer / seller with confidence now, thanks again, cheers, Fletch

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2012, 09:26:10 am »
Just remember when you come to sell it on, people may be wary as you are and that will affect the price, so I wouldn't buy unless cheaper than a UK model.
On the plus side the colour scheme will possibly be a little different so you will stand out in a car park full of Fazer nerds :)

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 April 2012, 09:38:46 am »
Yup, I'll be factoring in the lower price that parallel imports attract, maybe in the region of £500 I reckon.

Hopefully I'll never find myself in a car park full of Fazer nerds, but if I did I can't actually decide whether I'd want to stand out or not !!!!  :)

Cheers, Fletch

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2012, 05:31:01 pm »
I don't think you will find much difference on price, at the age they are now you will be buying/paying for low mileage and good condition. Spare parts etc are exactly the same, MPH speedo, no problems with headlights and not restricted like the French ones.

They were not much cheaper (if at all) in the first place and a lot of people liked the two tone paint scheme.

In 2001 and 2002 Yamaha were asking far too much for the Fazer and didn't sell many. When they dropped the price they sold well and often only imports were left available.

MikeyFZS1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2012, 09:03:49 am »
That's interesting Tmation, I'd always thought the parallel imports were...err....imported because they are a cheaper new-bike alternative - I bought a new P.I. Firestorm in '98 essentially 'cos it was around £2K cheaper than a UK market model, although the exchange rate at the time (strong sterling) may have had something to do with that.

Looking at the FZ1s' available (mainly in dealers) around 2008 - 2009 model years in particular it seems that around 1 in 3 are US bikes, so high demand could well have been the major factor as to why so many were imported.

Interesting to note that some of the dealers disclose the fact they are US bikes, but not all ! I'd always thought they had a legal obligation, but maybe not ?

The bottom line for me is that I now feel comfortable that the US bikes are a sound option.

Cheers, Fletch

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2012, 07:08:27 pm »
I'm sure I remember Taz selling imports around a grand cheaper?
Pitternator bought one, he'll tell us for sure.