Date: 24-04-24  Time: 06:32 am

Author Topic: Wot oil do I need  (Read 1462 times)

bazsergison

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Wot oil do I need
« on: 04 May 2013, 04:57:50 pm »
Hi peps my oil light came on last night on my 02 fzs 600 fazer last night , I checked the oil lever in and it was between the two marks nocked it off and drove off again and it went off then came back on again after a mile or so ..... I only got serviced about to weeks ago so was just weather it just needs a small top up, so wot oil do I need in her as I have no clue .... :-)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Wot oil do I need
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2013, 04:09:33 am »
sounds like it just needs a small top up, the light coming on is quite common if not topped up but not confidence inspiring.Usually happens under heavy acceleration and goes off again.
if you use the search option at the top of the page and type in oil light you should get lots of info about the subject.
you best check with the place that serviced the bike what oil they put in but typically 10w40 semi synthetic seems the way to go.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2013, 10:51:17 am »
If the oil warning light is coming on when the engine is hot and at low revs then it's the oil pressure that's low and not the level, so make sure the level is right, also the engine isn't overheating, the fan should come on if you're stationary and the coolant temp goes up, and the correct grade oil was used, 10w 40 .

If the above are correct then there are two possibilities, faulty oil pressure switch should think they're about £10 to £20 or worn bearings/ oil pump. don't ask?

how many miles has it done?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2013, 11:17:53 am »
The fzs600 has a level switch,not pressure,under acceleration the oil gets drawn away & trips the level sensor even though overall oil is ok or just a little low.

Also, just a brief one,just noticed you posted this in general instead of the fzs600 section, oh the shame!!! :rolleyes

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2013, 12:02:50 pm »
What noggythenog said.

Beware the Internet guru, who doesn't actually know what he's talking about! :rollin :rollin

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2013, 12:12:58 pm »
What noggythenog said.

Beware the Internet guru, who doesn't actually know what he's talking about! :rollin :rollin

Ha ha that's me in a nutshell but im getting better at remembering random stuff bout fazers,sometimes (mostly) arse about face :D

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2013, 12:43:22 pm »
What noggythenog said.

so is it a level switch? or pressure switch? I now think it's a level switch as I couldn't find a pressure switch on ebay, I was talking from what I know about car engines as the bikes I grew up with had neither, all you could do was look in the oil tank and see if the oil return pipe was running? as long as it was dry sump, and some of the triumphs had the little plunger thing.