Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:16 am

Author Topic: Starter cut off or....?  (Read 693 times)

Fubar byker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Starter cut off or....?
« on: 18 February 2024, 12:20:25 pm »
Hey all, so I've been looking through some of the old posts to do with the same issue I'm having - no spark - and I think I've narrowed down the problem but have a couple of questions.

1. the initial clicking/ticking you hear when the key is turned (button NOT pressed), is this the starter circuit cut off/fuel pump relay?

2. testing resistance on the ignition coils - primary - the Haynes manual states the reading should be between 1.87 - 2.53ohm. I'm getting 3.5 on both coils and according to the book, they need replacing but I've seen a few people saying that reading is ok?

3. what is the most likely cause of no spark? I don't have the funds to start replacing loads of bits.
I have checked:
battery is charged and holding full charge;
new plugs;
plug caps and coils HT leads are testing fine;
fuses are all good;
earths are good as far as I can tell;
starter motor is turning over and solenoid is clicking as it should;
pick up coil is fine (even though the manual gives the wrong colour wires!);
checked connector blocks and all seem fine - no corrosion and tightly connected.

I'm about to test continuity on pretty much everything and carry out the tests for the starter cut off/fuel pump relay as per the book but I think it's that that is causing the problem (very limited knowledge but logically thinking...)

Sorry it's a lot to take in but I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing

All lights on dash are n, horn and lights work and engine turns over.

Cheers.....anyone!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Starter cut off or....?
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2024, 03:35:17 pm »
the initial clicking is the fuel pump.

If the engine is turning over, here are a few things iot wont be before people suggest otherwise.
- Kill switch
- side stand switch
- clutch switch

For the coil resistance, if you are seeing the same on both coils, chances are they are fine, its just your meter accuracy thats out.
have you got both coils connected on the low tension side? could be a bad earth if you are not getting a spark on any plug. If its not a bad earth, it will be something else thats common to both coils like the ECU

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2024, 10:38:56 pm »
It could be a faulty ignition switch.  Check for continuity between the Black and Blue yellow wires in the ignition switch when the switch is turned on.

Fubar byker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2024, 01:26:01 pm »
Cheers for the replies so far.
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the Haynes manual cos they give the wrong colour wires in the text compared to what I physically have and what they have in the diagram!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2024, 02:46:36 pm »
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the Haynes manual

Go to the downloads section on this forum and you will find the Yamaha official wiring diagrams.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2024, 09:19:15 pm »
I'm getting a bit frustrated with the Haynes manual cos they give the wrong colour wires in the text compared to what I physically have and what they have in the diagram!
There are are a few variants and the Haynes manual cater mostly for the UK market if you bike is outside the UK there could be minor differences

Fubar byker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2024, 11:34:17 am »
I'm in UK with standard UK bike.
Example, manual shows a R/Y wire coming from the cut off where I physically have a Blk/Y.
Also, the checks it says to do for said relay gives totally wrong wiring colours!

So, with a little bit of blue showing through the clouds, I'm getting out and checking ALL the wires end to end. I've also got a 2nd hand ICU from the bay - worth a go I guess

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2024, 02:31:50 pm »
What exactly are you checking? What colours do you have in the ignition switch connector under the tank? Check it on both sides, going to the ignition switch and going back into the loom. Out of curosity is the red /yellow going to the clutch switch?
« Last Edit: 26 February 2024, 02:46:27 pm by unfazed »

Fubar byker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2024, 08:41:56 pm »
FINALLY (I think...)

Been out today checking continuity etc on nearly everything I could find.
I'm pretty sure I don't have this Diode thing the manual says should be just under the coils/pump plate (should be right next to the fuel sender connector I believe) cannot find it without taking the whole loom apart!

BUT I digress - I've re-checked the continuity on the ignition switch and one path is faulty while the others where fine.

So, I'm selling the ICU I got from eBay the other week for £30 as that's what I paid for it - never even fit it to the bike - and trying to look for the correct ignition switch.
I keep seeing ones listed as 2002 but the wiring is wrong - there's not enough of them lol.

Thanks for the replies.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2024, 11:01:56 pm »
7 wire ignition switches are a rare commodity. This might help a conversion diagram on 7 to 6 wire ignition I did some time ago when many were in the same situation of not being able to locate a 7 wire ignition switch  https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=92One of idle days
« Last Edit: 03 March 2024, 11:04:46 pm by unfazed »