Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:30 pm

Author Topic: Time To Say Goodbye  (Read 3543 times)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Time To Say Goodbye
« on: 26 January 2020, 05:05:07 pm »
Not to this forum, I hasten to add but sadly to my Fazer 1000.  :(

After almost 18 years of ownership, it's time to say 'goodbye' to the old girl.  Truth is that with all the motorhome touring we've done over the past 3 years, the bike has only done about 500 miles in that time.  Since we're continuing to spend 5-6 months on the road each year, it just doesn't make sense to keep taxing and insuring her for such minimal use. 

In addition, the Spanish MOT test equivalent, the ITV, is such a PITA to pass unless the bike is in stock condition.  Almost all of the mods I'd done over the years had to be reversed to pass the test and it was always such a hassle even after doing that.  So, I've spent the past couple of days putting her back to near standard condition ready for another run at the ITV and then she'll be up for sale. 

I've also gone through all my Fazer spares stocks that I'd accumulated and those will be advertised soon in Sales and Wants here.  A couple of special items will be an Akropovic titanium oval end can and a rare DPBMC blue (the fastest colour ever!) fuel tank with the Yamaha tuning fork logo rather than the YAMAHA lettering.  The latter was never available in the UK and Akrapovic no longer do the link pipes for the Gen 1 - but I've got one in perfect condition!

Sorting through everything and going through photos taken since 2002 brought home just how many mods and changes the bike has undergone.  Four different end cans (Blueflame SS oval, Blueflame titanium Tri-oval, MIVV GP carbon and then the Akrapovic, which included full 4-2-1 headers for a few years); K-tech forks, R1 forks, K-tech forks again but with SS20 cartridges.  A K-tech modded standard shock (mine was the prototype for this mod), a Technoflex shock, an Ohlins and then an R6 shock (nice one, Luke! :))

Bodywork changes include 4 different screens, 2 huggers, an MBD belly pan, colour-matched side panels, and three different seats.  I've had straight bars and Renthals; Pazzo levers, bar end mirrors and Oberon footpegs.  I also had alloy rearsets for a time.

Brake discs were changed to Armstrong wavy discs and there were at least 3 sets of stainless hoses to accommodate the various fork set-ups, along with an R1 radial master cylinder up front. 

Of course, there had to be a Multigauge in the list - an early addition, one of the first made, and needless to say, every variation of Ivan's jet kit mod.  This started with an original Slip-On kit which I brought back from the USA in 2002 before they were even available in the UK.  When the MB kit came out, I upgunned to that along with the necessary airbox lid and intake stub mods.  With the Akrapovic full system, she absolutely flew! :)

It goes without saying that putting her up for sale with so much history between us is a real wrench.  Luckily, I've still got my '99 R1 which I've been keeping SORN'ed for the last couple of years and I can always put that one back on the road if I feel the need for speed in the future.  For now, though, I'll be taking a riding sabatical but I'll keep the riding gear in good nick, just in case.  I know so many guys who've sold up completely, only to regret it a year or two later. ;)

As always, I'll be staying in touch on this forum and while I tend to go 'radio silent' during our travels, it's rare that I fail to check on the site most days.

I'll post again when the list of items for sale goes live.  We'll be driving back to the UK in April and I'll bring everything over with me to post in the UK then.

Cheers!

Mike
« Last Edit: 26 January 2020, 05:07:09 pm by Falcon 269 »

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: Time To Say Goodbye
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2020, 06:44:36 pm »
Hi Mike, sad to hear this mate. I know it’s going to happen to all of us at some point. I’m still riding for another 3 years or so then I’ll have to consider the same question. I have an SRAD, a 32000 mileage Fazer, a 112,000 mile every day Fazer and  64 Lodola. It all builds up and suddenly you can’t move for bikes or spares. Will you sell the bike in Spain or bring it over to UK?

Stay in touch, once a Fazer addict always a Fazer addict. You’ll go down in UK Fazer history whatever you decide to do.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2020, 06:49:01 pm »
The end of an era  :(
Thanks for all your advice on the forums over the years, Mike.  :)   

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2020, 06:52:32 pm »
ah sad news old mate, but I get it. I'll never flog me fazer, but I know the day will come when i'll only be riding the old Harley fatty. thank you for the advice and the friendship mate, just wished I'd listened to you back in that hotel bar in Calais, and got a gen one then  :lol :lol :lol safe travels my friend, and hopefully meet up when your over

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2020, 08:04:43 pm »
well sad news but some goodies going up for sale cant wait can i start my order now for the wants list  !!! hope it goes to a good home , i am sure it will go to a good home i think the fazer1000 can live for ever mines only done 46000 but is still so strong i'll keep it going as long as i can get parts

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2020, 12:33:08 am »
Sad news indeed, but bagsy first dibs on the Akropovic can and link pipe!

:)
« Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 12:34:15 am by teecee90 »
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2020, 08:24:18 am »
I'll put the for sale listing up soon.  It'll give me chance to pack and label everything before we leave home, maybe even confirm post/courier costs ahead of arriving back in the UK, too.  Teecee90 has first refusal on the Akra can. :)

I remember bending everyone's ear at 'Bike' about the Gen 1 back then, Paul. I had Simon H convinced by the Ivanised motor but he it wasn't sporty enough in looks or handling for him, so he became a Gen II enthusiast instead.  That was some trip from Calais, wasn't it?

I also used to swear I'd never sell the old girl but the layups between starts while we're away take their toll on the carbs every time now.  I've tried draining (the seals dry up) and fuel additives but I still wind up pulling and cleaning them every time we get home.  She just needs to be ridden more and at 52k miles, there's plenty of life left in her.  I'll look for a buyer here in Spain among the expat riding clubs first.  Too much phaff and cost to export back to the UK, unfortunately.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2020, 09:35:53 am »
Totally understandable Mike, but still a tough decision for you to make. I'm dreading it, but know that day will come sooner rather than later. So glad to have got Ivanized by you on one of your last missions to the M25 area. Your expertise and speed of working was certainly a sight to behold.
You'll always be "The Man" on this forum for sure, happy motorhoming and drive safe.
P.S. The Ohlins is still doing the business, getting serviced in April :thumbup .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2020, 10:11:17 am »
Sell the Fazer and keep the R1? Are you sure, Mike, really really sure?

I know that since I retired I use the Fazer a lot less, but it'd be a real wrench to sell it and I'm not sure I could cope with the R1's riding position these days!

Anyway, I'm sure you've thought long and hard about it and this is what's best for you.

Happy travels and I hope you continue to share your workshop wisdom with the rest of us!

Steve

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2020, 02:17:42 pm »
The logic in keeping the R1 is that it is holding its value, possibly increasing even because it's an early model in totally original condition and with only 15k miles on the clock.  My days of bike touring are over - I think - and since I still fit comfortably on the R1, it'll do fine for the occasional blast around the local roads when the mood is on me. :)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2020, 06:44:07 am »
Get to us all eventually with one thing and another  :rolleyes :'(

Hang on to that R1, like my almost bog standard (36mm intake rubbers and 20% up rated springs both ends) XJR13, they're increasing in value  :D [size=78%]   [/size]
Later

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2020, 11:48:57 am »
Get to us all eventually with one thing and another  :rolleyes :'(

Hang on to that R1, like my almost bog standard (36mm intake rubbers and 20% up rated springs both ends) XJR13, they're increasing in value  :D [size=78%]   [/size]

lol mines got 36ys and uprated suspenders both ends too mate...

Yup the r1 is deffo a keeper Mike. Of all the (brilliant) incarnations, the first gen is the one I'd have if I was after one.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2020, 12:54:20 pm »
Me too - in red & white with the red seat, which, apparently, was the colour scheme nobody wanted when they first came out!!!!
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2020, 04:27:57 pm »
If you can find an original '98 R1 in red & white, which hasn't been modded in any way, it's worth a fortune these days.  Good luck finding one, though.

Love your XJR, Paul.  Had an FJ1200 and that motor is a peach. :)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2020, 09:28:56 pm »

lol mines got 36ys and uprated suspenders both ends too mate...

Here's mine just after I'd stripped and rebuilt it but before I'd fitted the up graded rear springs, they look exactly the same being Ohlins just 20% stiffer.

Later

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2020, 03:29:59 pm »
Hey Mike, just wanted to take this moment to say thanks for all the help and advice you gave me over on the FZ1OA forum. Not to mention your wholehearted endorsement of the TFT dash that DJDLTD is developing - that's what got me over to this forum in the first place.

Looks like you're already eased into the no-riding lifestyle, so I guess you're unlikely to get withdrawal symptoms. But hope you'll continue to drop by the forum(s) from time to time!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2020, 05:12:31 pm »
Hey, Crankcase.  Thanks - you're welcome, but I have to say that I've learned far more from both forums than I've contributed in total myself.  That's what makes these such great resources for us owners. :)

What DJDLTD has done - and is still doing - is terrific.  I'd have been tempted were it not for the fact that I already have a Multigauge and had made my mind up a few months back to put the Fazer up for sale.  I wish him every success with his venture.

I'm only to aware of all the FZ1OA members I've known over the years who've sold up their bikes and kit only to return in a year or two when there circumstances and/or life priorities changed.  Put it this way, I may not be riding much right now but I'm a long way from being an ex-biker. :)

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2020, 08:21:05 am »
Sorry to hear you're selling up, it's never an easy decision I'm sure!

Just wanted to say thanks for any help you've given me, although I'm a relative newcomer to Fazer ownership, I know in the past couple of years you've chimed in on some of my posts with some great info (even if I couldn't convince you to do 1 more Ivan mod for me!  :lol )

Look forward to seeing some of the bits for sale, don't suppose there's any Ivan'd up carbs in the list is there? I think I'm one of the only ones in the UK left with a stock one!

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2020, 08:37:27 am »
Stock carb here as well Jonny.
Still the best bike money can buy though  :faz :thumbup
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2020, 08:56:13 am »
There's a bank of carbs coming up for sale which have been modded to accept Ivan's kit but which don't have the needles or jets for them installed.  Reason is they're in another set of carbs I sold on a while ago. :) 

All you'd need is to get hold of one of Ivan's kits and install the parts in place of the originals.  No need to do the drilling of the pilot bypass holes, which is what frightens a lot off doing this themselves. ;)

Would also make a good set of carbs for spares use in the future.

JonnyFoxtrot

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2020, 12:04:12 pm »
There's a bank of carbs coming up for sale which have been modded to accept Ivan's kit but which don't have the needles or jets for them installed.  Reason is they're in another set of carbs I sold on a while ago. :) 

All you'd need is to get hold of one of Ivan's kits and install the parts in place of the originals.  No need to do the drilling of the pilot bypass holes, which is what frightens a lot off doing this themselves. ;)

Would also make a good set of carbs for spares use in the future.

Mike, sounds perfect, thats exactly the part of the job I was weary of and at least I'll have a back up set. I'll call first dibs if I can please :D will PM!

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2020, 02:31:50 pm »
Mike I am sorry to hear this news
 You have been my and many others oracle of all things fazer for so many years
 yes I still have mine, one owner since 2003 and still haven't managed to get it to 25k miles
with out doubt your magical touch with the full ivanising has made such a difference

even  now after nearly 17years I can see a bike on the market that for me is a real replacement
 so I guess ill stick with mine for a few years more

Mark 

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2020, 07:27:51 pm »

My Fazer went some time ago, (now on a Multistrada but can't help popping back to this forum occasionally), but I remember well your Ivanising session held years ago in my garage where several Foccers including myself benefitted from your expertise in modding their bikes.
You've been a great source of knowledge on here so thanks for all your input and best wishes for your motorhome travels.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 February 2020, 08:11:45 am »
Thanks all for the kind words.  I enjoyed the 'Ivanizing' sessions a lot, even though 4 bikes per day for 4 days was a bit of a challenge at times.  Great fun meeting owners from so many different walks of life and areas.  :)

I'm not going anywhere as far as this forum is concerned ... but in the motorhome, well, we plan on going everywhere we possibly can! :)

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2020, 02:42:44 pm »
Hey Mike
We never met, nearly ivanised a few years ago but never quite made it.
Still lovin the bike but like you very little use recently....or visits to this site.
Other things come along and give us new interests, some of which are more comfortable as we get older bones!
I personally fly drones commercially now and have a small 2- seater soft top which keeps me out of mischief so I know
where youre coming from.
Good luck with all your trips and thank you for all the advice given to this site over the years.
D
« Last Edit: 15 February 2020, 02:43:24 pm by dickturpin »