Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: Running the bike with the fuel tank off?  (Read 1485 times)

jackpot_spaniel

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Running the bike with the fuel tank off?
« on: 26 February 2016, 03:39:27 pm »
Hi all

I'm carrying out my first bit of work on my late 2002 FZS600 this weekend to get her back on the road (someone pulled out in front of me and crushed my radiator) and I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

I've looked through the Haynes manual and studied some videos, so I'm pretty clued up on the whole coolant draining/flushing/filling procedure. However, the Haynes manual omits any mention of reinstalling the fuel tank in order to run the bike for the flushes and the fill. It would be pretty annoying to have to remove and reinstall the fuel tank between each flush and fill, so...

Does the fuel tank need to be reinstalled to run the bike, or can you run the bike with it off? I'm assuming it runs off a reserve tank if so?

I'm going to be bump starting the bike once  I've attached the new radiator, as the battery's dead... Will be the first time I've started her since the accident.

Cheers!

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Running the bike with the fuel tank off?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2016, 03:55:51 pm »
Once removed the tank can be rotated 180' and rested where the rear seat would be, make sure to strap it down so it doesn't fall.
Get the battery charged so you don't have to jump start it, unless you mean you're going to use jumper leads from a car- if this is the case do NOT have the car engine running!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2016, 06:47:03 pm »
Once removed the tank can be rotated 180' and rested where the rear seat would be, make sure to strap it down so it doesn't fall.
Get the battery charged so you don't have to jump start it, unless you mean you're going to use jumper leads from a car- if this is the case do NOT have the car engine running!

Oh.....you mean like my colleague did when jumping my bike a few days ago!
I take it that's not good then?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2016, 07:36:15 pm »
I believe the car alternator puts out too much juice for the bike and can fry the reg/rec!
I'm happy to be put right, but for the small power needed to start the bike compared to the car it's not worth the risk!
Some say...

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2016, 12:16:57 am »
Now I have this picture in my head of Jack with his tank on in reverse in the place where the seat should be trying to bump start it and it taking off like a scalded cat down the road. :rollin :'( :rollin
I don't  think I would want to bump start mine unless it was a roll down hill bump, with me sat on the bike before moving off. :lmao2

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2016, 11:08:48 am »

:agree  I always put a folded up dust sheet on the seat so the tank doesn't mark the seat and strap it down with a couple of bungee straps.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2016, 11:39:45 am »
It's a damn site easier to either use a SAFE contraption of choice to prop the tank up, or even better still, get some poor sod to hold it up for a couple of minutes.
If you're doing a full on clean up with Radflush, then i would recommend leaving it in for a day or two to let the system heat up and cool down a few times, then flush it all out with a hose and refill with decent coolant, or just go out for a 20+ mile ride. I've never been keen on just letting the bike tick over waiting for the fan to kick in whilst pissing the neighbours off with the exhaust noise.
This should only be done in conditions that are not too warm or cold, as you don't want freezing or boiling water to happen.
In fact, conditions right now are probably perfect during the day, but obviously don't go ripping the shit out of the bike, just go easy on it until it's all sorted and the coolant has been replaced.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

jackpot_spaniel

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2016, 01:41:39 pm »
Thanks for all the hints and tips!

Update... had a friend with me who helped hold the tank up on its pivot for filling. Unfortunately the aftermarket immobiliser completely stopped us from bump starting, so a battery charger is now on order! Was forced to empty the flush and fill with coolant. Liquids all looked OK coming out though.

I've bump started the bike several times before in a space of about 10m in my mews and never had any problems. Always in 3rd gear though! And with enough battery charge to disable the immobiliser...  :rolleyes

Also, anyone ever have any problems draining the coolant reservoir? The bottom hose is ridiculously inaccessible! In the end we had to feed the top connection (to the radiator cap) down through the bike and drain out of that by gravity! I have a syringe and tube on order for next time...