Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:06 pm

Author Topic: I'm back!  (Read 1094 times)

RedClive

• Pyjama Boy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
I'm back!
« on: 07 March 2020, 04:54:27 pm »
Hi.  I originally joined FOCU around 2006 and went on Aberdare and Spring Meets a couple of times plus track days at Llandow.  I kept that well loved FZS600 until a year or so ago, having taken to an FZS1000.  These days I do less riding and more local stuff and the FZS1000 is a bit big for that. 

I've now come across a great condition FZ6 which I pick up tomorrow.  Yes, a 16 year old bike and I'm quite excited about it!  I do go to the Bike Show at Birmingham NEC, but there is nothing newer I really fancy owning.  I've ridden a few things but still love Fazer 600s.  So, I shall be looking forward to looking more on the site.  No big mods planned, but a good service, headlamps and exhaust (less of it!) will be the priorities!  All the best, Clive.

Not sure if it is possible or how to add photos so here is a link to me and the bikes:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/LDpPCvAHroir5mCe6

RedClive

• Pyjama Boy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: I'm back!
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2020, 06:55:01 pm »
Picked up the FZ6 today and put some miles on it.  Well chuffed overall.  The lower weight compared to the FZS1000 really shows and it's fun to ride; notably quicker to change direction.  Think it's a keeper!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
FZ6 or FZS600? Very different bikes
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

RedClive

• Pyjama Boy
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2020, 11:39:28 pm »
I've now purchased an early FZ6 with 14,500 miles.  I sold my FZS600 a year ago.  I've read all the stuff and I was a bit apprehensive about buying it, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.  The FZ6 rides well and feels similar in many ways to the FZS600. 

Now going through the process of cleaning, servicing and checking everything.  It's an 'honest' bike which has had basic servicing but needs some TLC.  One thing I hadn't realised and seems very silly is having the battery up top at the front.  The main reason I love the 600s is because they are lighter and change direction much quicker on the road.  I don't like 'top heavy', although to be honest I hadn't felt that.  Found the battery today as I wanted to add my optimiser wires. I also found some corrosion under the tank - surprised Yamaha didn't fully spray it with a good coat under there.  It's only light, spotty bits of rust so for now I've just cleaned it up and added a coat of clear Waxoyl.

Next job will be to try and remove Exhaust header nuts, remove then prepare to get some paint back on the front of the engine..... 

Cheers, Clive 
« Last Edit: 12 March 2020, 11:41:36 pm by RedClive »