Author Topic: MOT  (Read 2331 times)

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
MOT
« on: 04 May 2012, 12:36:21 pm »
My bikes due its MOT in june, was going to get it sorted this month to get it out the way.
Unfortunately my rear tyre has a small brass nail in it i'm unsure of the size so i've just left it in as theres no problems with leakage i don't see the point in fixing it as i'll be getting some new tyres soon.
Is this an MOT fail? Also abit concerned my exhaust isnt road legal but i've heard a few place let em go through.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: MOT
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2012, 12:43:11 pm »
Tyre wil be a fail. Exhausts are anyone's guess these days. Put the standard one back on for the test if you have it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
As Mr Brown says tyre = fail

How many miles will you do between now and your MOT, way that up against what might happen if you have an accident ( hope you don't tho ) because of the fault in your tyre, is it really worth not replacing it for the sake of a few hundred miles.

We are lucky up here re exhausts. A guy quite close says when you arrive and the village car alarms don't go off then your ok  :D

Good luck
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2012, 01:32:08 pm »
Phoned the MOT place and they advised if its in the wall of the tyre its a fail if not it goes down as an advisory.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2012, 02:46:59 pm »
Unfortunately my rear tyre has a small brass nail in it i'm unsure of the size so i've just left it in as theres no problems with leakage i don't see the point in fixing it as i'll be getting some new tyres soon.

What you are riding about with a nail in your tyre?

My policy if I find anything in my tyre, is to ride slow as foc till I get home or somewhere convenient to pull it out.  Then surprise surprise I pull it out.  If it's shallow tack and it hasn't punctured the tyre - well magic.  If the tyre goes down, well it's time for a proper repair or a new tyre.

Never ever ever ride about with a nail, screw, tack or whatever in your tyre.  If it works loose you then have a deflating tyre, or worse if it comes right out you can have instant total deflation. 

I once had my tyre punctured at speed on a dual carriageway, something punched a hole in it, it went down in seconds.  I probably only managed to stay on the bike as I was on a straight bit of road at the time, and lucky for me near an exit (so lucky again I didn't have to sit on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery).  The tyre was totally focced and looked like it was trying to work it's way off the rim.

Attend to debris in your tyres in a timely manner.

Nail in tyre, surely to god is a fail, and they should be advising you not to ride it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
IMO NOTHING more important than your tyres-think about it. Every steering/braking/accelerating input goes through 2 pieces of rubber the size of 2 large footprints. If you had ever experienced a blowout you wouldnt have needed to ask the question! :rolleyes

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2012, 04:02:25 pm »
Was going to get it fixed tomorrow so i thought sod it, went to take it out and it was no bigger than 2mm brass screw, theres a shallow hole in the tyre which will hopefully close up. Put some washing up liquid on it and no bubbles came up underload so hopefully it hasnt peirced the wall

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2012, 06:43:28 pm »
No worries then.

But seriously the only riding you should ever do with a screw or nail etc in the tyre is a very gentle limp home or to the bike shop.

You can usually tell when you grab hold em of whether it's right in or just a short tack.  A bit of gob on it, grab and wiggle, and if it's right in you'll get bubbles and maybe hear the hiss.  Then just leave it in (assuming it seals again OK) and limp very slowly home.  No bubbles just yank it out.

Another puncture I had was a 4inch screw.  It went right in the centre but must have been touching and moving about on the rim.  I was lucky I didn't come off.  It went down quite quick. 

I've called out the RAC about 3 times for punctures.  Good service.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2012, 09:38:16 am »
If the exhaust is marked, 'not for road use' or similar, it's a fail.  But, if there's a piece of tape stuck over the marking so it can't be seen, it isn't.  If it's loud, it's an advisory, if it's stupidly loud, it's a fail.