Date: 01-05-24  Time: 18:08 pm

Author Topic: Fuel Prices  (Read 6057 times)

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Prices
« Reply #25 on: 20 April 2012, 06:46:20 pm »
Asda announced a price freeze 137.9 in all stores from tomorrow

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 April 2012, 07:16:51 pm »
 Apparently the speculators have well over egged the price.   Demand has fallen sharply.   Crude prices are expected to take a sharp little drop.  Unleaded in turn should fall to at least a bargain basement 135p in 4-5 weeks (maybe - maybe not)

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #27 on: 20 April 2012, 07:41:54 pm »
Be glad you have a small tank, I've just filled my boat up with diesel, about 1/2 a ton of the stuff  :eek
Luckily I only paid 72p/litre for it as I have it delivered direct from the tanker last year into a heating oil tank.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2012, 09:31:59 pm »
VNA, what do you think the SNP would do about the tax on petrol? In Westminster their MPs ask for lower prices because of the high prices in the areas you state, and because there is handly any / no public transport in rural Scotland. However if the SNP do reduce duty it will leave a large hole in the finances.

ps I'm not after an argument - if you're going to get all pissy please start a new thread in MFU :lol

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 April 2012, 10:29:00 pm »
Top tip! (Apparently)
Fill up in the morning when its cooler because petrol becomes more dense when its cooler so you get more fuel than later in the day when its warmed up and expanded blah blah............. :z
Read that somewhere a few years ago in a bike mag. Never bothered to actually try it out to see if its true, might be, might not be.
Damn!! I'm going to have to try it now aint I? :\
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 April 2012, 09:11:57 pm »
I've heard that theory of fuel being denser when cool, not convinced it's a good thing though (assuming of course it works) - there's always that thought that if you've brimmed the tank, and it expands, it has to go somewhere (ie, you might find it leaks from vent pipes etc).

As for the prices in Durness, I just checked prices in Thurso which isn't far away (I'm heading up that way mid-May), unleaded lowest 149.9p/litre, highest 150.0p/l, diesel high / low both 152.9p/l. Oil firms cite "the cost of transport" as the reason fuel prices in rural areas are so high......Prices on the Islands will be truly frightening  :eek

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 April 2012, 09:44:14 pm »
i pay 137.9 Asda or tesco  :D shell is 1p more  :'(

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2012, 01:29:56 pm »
I've heard that theory of fuel being denser when cool, not convinced it's a good thing though (assuming of course it works) - there's always that thought that if you've brimmed the tank, and it expands, it has to go somewhere (ie, you might find it leaks from vent pipes etc)...
I can confirm that theory. :'(  Filled the car early one morning and left it parked on the drive in full sun, a few hours later came out to discover fuel squirting out around the filler cap. These days I only brim it if I'm going to be driving at least a dozen miles immediately.
Probably not a problem on the bike, that filler tube at the top of the tank stops you over-filling unless you're patient enough to keep dribbling the stuff in until the pinhole in the side is drowned.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2012, 06:47:09 pm »
there's always that thought that if you've brimmed the tank, and it expands, it has to go somewhere (ie, you might find it leaks from vent pipes etc).

But mostly where you'll find it is on bends and roundabouts, ready to dump the next poor biker who's minding his own business and then suddenly finds himself on the tarmac because some prat doesn't understand (or care) that petrol pumps have an automatic cut off for a *reason*!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 April 2012, 07:40:32 pm »
there's always that thought that if you've brimmed the tank, and it expands, it has to go somewhere (ie, you might find it leaks from vent pipes etc).

But mostly where you'll find it is on bends and roundabouts, ready to dump the next poor biker who's minding his own business and then suddenly finds himself on the tarmac because some prat doesn't understand (or care) that petrol pumps have an automatic cut off for a *reason*!
The usual reason for diesel slicks on bends is absent-minded drivers setting off leaving their filler cap on the filling station forecourt. :rolleyes

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 22 April 2012, 08:01:17 pm »
VNA, what do you think the SNP would do about the tax on petrol?

They have already introduced a 5p tax relief/subsidy to try and help the Islands.
Obviously under devolution, any Scottish Government has limited room for manoeuvre on this.
But certainly fuel prices, and as such fuel tax, can have a big impact on the economy.  Of course it doesn't help that our economy is so heavily dependent on fuel now.
One successful SNP policy, for example, was the RET experiment (road equivalent tariff) introduced on ferries between the mainland and the outer Hebrides.
 My understanding is that large increase in ferry traffic and resultant economic boost for the islands since the introduction of RET has more than made up for the extra subsidy provided for the ferries.  So RET stays in place.
So a reduction in fuel charges or fuel duty doesn't automatically equal a reduction in government income.

Of course Tory government policy is tax cuts for the rich, and then hope that that magically, that the rich being richer will mean everybody will be better off, or hang about a minute, do they give a foc anyway.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 April 2012, 08:57:13 pm »
Unlucky Andy - you almost made a whole post without slagging off the tories but just failed at the last :lol But otherwise an interesting read :thumbup

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 April 2012, 11:10:38 pm »
Unlucky Andy - you almost made a whole post without slagging off the tories but just failed at the last :lol But otherwise an interesting read :thumbup

Surely now't wrong wi slaggin Tory scum bags! :lol

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 April 2012, 07:36:58 pm »
138.9 Sainsburys Sheffield
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks