Date: 27-04-24  Time: 12:46 pm

Author Topic: Car LED back lights!!!  (Read 2318 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Car LED back lights!!!
« on: 11 January 2024, 09:20:44 pm »
Is it just me that thinks they are far too bright - the new cars that have led rear lights, they are so bright they look like constant brake lights and then when they brake it looks like fog lights - totally unnecessary IMO. And some seem to be a massive expanse of red - really big fat lights. And then at the same time seem to have tiny tiny indicators :rolleyes
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Car LED back lights!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2024, 11:27:30 pm »
Nope, it's not just you.

Also they often have overbright LED headlights that are poorly aligned such that it sometimes appears that oncoming vehicles have their high beams on...  :2guns

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2024, 02:53:36 pm »
.... and the orange sidelights that look like indicators

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2024, 04:17:30 pm »
Yes far too bright, I think I posted something similar some time ago. Its worse when you're stationery at traffic lights and the driver in front has his/her/their/whatever foot on the brake pedal the whole time. When they pull away, I can see fuck all, blinded by the light. I drive in the dark using a pair of those specially tinted glasses now, they make a good enough difference to take most of the glare out.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2024, 06:40:01 pm »
Yes far too bright, I think I posted something similar some time ago. Its worse when you're stationery at traffic lights and the driver in front has his/her/their/whatever foot on the brake pedal the whole time. When they pull away, I can see fuck all, blinded by the light. I drive in the dark using a pair of those specially tinted glasses now, they make a good enough difference to take most of the glare out.
8)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2024, 09:00:47 pm »
Its worse when you're stationery at traffic lights and the driver in front has his/her/their/whatever foot on the brake pedal the whole time.

Annoyingly, apparently some cars that have that stop/ start system that cuts the engine when they're stopped at traffic lights etc, rely on the foot brake being pressed to operate!

That means that, if you do like I was taught, ie foot brake to the lights, come to a halt, handbrake, neutral, foot off brake, the system doesn't work on those cars  :rolleyes

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2024, 06:58:53 pm »
Is it just me that thinks they are far too bright
Yes I am constantly getting dazzled by them, Ive been meaning to check where there is a DfT rule how how bright there are allowed to be.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2024, 08:43:29 pm »
Its worse when you're stationery at traffic lights and the driver in front has his/her/their/whatever foot on the brake pedal the whole time.

Annoyingly, apparently some cars that have that stop/ start system that cuts the engine when they're stopped at traffic lights etc, rely on the foot brake being pressed to operate!

That means that, if you do like I was taught, ie foot brake to the lights, come to a halt, handbrake, neutral, foot off brake, the system doesn't work on those cars  :rolleyes

I suppose that may explain it some. I think there are other cuase too. last time I drove in London I couldn't believe how aggressive drivers were. I'd pull up at the lights and if I wasn't moving the nano second the amber light came on, the following driver was on his horn. If I left a couple of car lengths to the car in front, someone would overtake and pull into it. I guess its the same attitude with the rear light thing, quicker away with the clutch in and on the footbrake.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2024, 11:26:27 pm »
I suppose that may explain it some. I think there are other cuase too. last time I drove in London I couldn't believe how aggressive drivers were. I'd pull up at the lights and if I wasn't moving the nano second the amber light came on, the following driver was on his horn.

Ah, similar to the the "New York Second", supposedly the shortest measurable period of time which is defined as the time between the light in front of you changing to green and the taxi behind you blowing his horn!

:rolleyes

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2024, 12:53:00 am »
Last time I drove in London I couldn't believe how aggressive drivers were.
This will be frustration as a result of the plague of improperly applied blanket 20mph zones making the city even more a shithole to go anywhere near.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2024, 09:11:01 am »
Is it just me that thinks they are far too bright
Yes I am constantly getting dazzled by them, Ive been meaning to check where there is a DfT rule how how bright there are allowed to be.
Where are the EU and their stupid laws when you need them.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2024, 11:06:12 am »
Where are the EU and their stupid laws when you need them.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2024, 02:53:33 pm »
Don't forget, we inherited these regulations on led lights, which were approved for use in the EU, prior to brexit - it's actually the EU's fault really  :lol .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2024, 10:11:01 pm »
Don't forget, we inherited these regulations on led lights, which were approved for use in the EU, prior to brexit - it's actually the EU's fault really  :lol .
And stupid DLR lights.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2024, 10:22:38 pm »
Don't forget, we inherited these regulations on led lights, which were approved for use in the EU, prior to brexit - it's actually the EU's fault really   .

Of course, car manufacturers are going to make separate 'GB only' cars, just like they're going to bottle wine in pints :)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2024, 07:03:35 pm »
Don't forget, we inherited these regulations on led lights, which were approved for use in the EU, prior to brexit - it's actually the EU's fault really   .

Of course, car manufacturers are going to make separate 'GB only' cars, just like they're going to bottle wine in pints :)

You miss the point. Why are these items placed on cars at all? I can add in ABS systems too. In 52 years of motoring, I cant recall a single occasion when ABS was necessary, plus the systems appear to be a source aggravation for many motorists, "ABS light on" is a common fault on modern motorcars. I can only surmise that its all about "adding value" to the product.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2024, 09:33:00 pm »
In 52 years of motoring, I cant recall a single occasion when ABS was necessary

Perhaps your biking experience means that you're much less likely to be in a situation where ABS was necessary, because you're used to planning ahead and predicting hazardous situations before you find yourself in a position where you need to stamp on the brakes.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2024, 10:21:55 pm »
I can't recall a single occasion when ABS was necessary

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/largest-study-of-its-kind-strengthens-argument-for-motorcycle-abs

"The researchers found that bikes equipped with the feature were involved in 22 percent fewer fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years."

Can't argue with that

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2024, 05:04:59 pm »
I never mentioned motorcycles

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2024, 12:04:03 pm »
Its a pet hate of mine -- DLR iights stupid stupid idea. Before them a biker riding with lights on in the daylight you could spot them a mile off and you knew it was a bike ( or a volvo ) but now my pissy headlight is lost amid a sea of car DLR lights making it hard for someone pulling out or turning right to see me actually riding a long way in front of that sea of ever - wildly fancy shapes of bright daylight running lights.Not to mention the even more pointless whole car width of white strip light across the front and fancy dancing indicators.This is why I muted a colour headlight light for bikes so they can be easily differentiated from cars but people did not seem to like my idea of pink lights, problem is all other colours are not allowed.     

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 January 2024, 10:05:16 pm »
Powerbronze used to sell coloured headlight protectors, although as you say, illegal in the UK. I had an amber one for my Fireblade in the late 90’s early 2000’s, to use abroad. Sometimes there’d be as many as sixteen of us going down to the Bol d’Or, so by me riding at the back, the leader of the group knew we were all present if he could see the amber headlight. Worked a treat. ;)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2024, 11:12:57 am »

On my Audi, when you stop, put the handbrake on and put it in neutral (or park as its an auto) the engine stays off until you push the brake again to put it back in drive. As its an auto though, i just keep my foot on the brake :)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2024, 01:46:26 pm »
I can't recall a single occasion when ABS was necessary

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/largest-study-of-its-kind-strengthens-argument-for-motorcycle-abs

"The researchers found that bikes equipped with the feature were involved in 22 percent fewer fatal crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years."

Can't argue with that
I'm afraid you can!...statistics can reach any conclusion you want. 100 percent of people I asked agreed with me :evil

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2024, 04:50:57 pm »
100 percent of people I asked agreed with me :evil

83% of statistics are made up on the spot ;)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 February 2024, 07:25:49 pm »
100 percent of people I asked agreed with me :evil

83% of statistics are made up on the spot ;)

And I've told you a million times not to exaggerate  :lol :lol