Date: 14-05-24  Time: 07:58 am

Author Topic: Heated grips now in the bin!  (Read 4818 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Heated grips now in the bin!
« on: 27 May 2013, 05:49:36 pm »
Which is exactly where they belong.
I bought Oxford ones 2 years ago because I didn`t want to wear thick winter gloves any more but the first controller lasted just a year and I replaced it.
This weekend the controller went again and would not switch off, I had to remove the fuse to cut the power.I am not going to pay another £30 again for crappy switches that don`t last.
Anyway has anyone tried heated gloves? My hands get cold even when the weather is not that cold.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Heated grips now in the bin!
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2013, 06:26:40 pm »
I've considered the heated kit but when I looked closely it said not for use in the wet which is on use for me.

Maybe they just covering themselves against claims or maybe its real I dunno. Anyone know?

Meanwhile I use simple waterproof over gloves on top of my. winter gloves which work good because they keep wind out

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2013, 06:53:53 pm »
both me and the wifey have had oxford hot grips now for the last 4 years and no probs whatever , and you didnt have to take fuse out as they cut off when your battery drops below 11.5v its a self protect thingy majig for the battery  :lol :lol
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2013, 07:05:34 pm »
I used keis inner gloves  a couple of times this winter http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/?product=keis-heated-inner-gloves-new-for-2011

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2013, 07:15:51 pm »
A good alternative is hand guards to keep the wind off. I had a pair on my tiger, and they were pretty good. I used them through the first part of last winter, and I wore summer gloves. Just like you I suffer with cold hands all year. I use muffs on my 600 for winter commuting, and they're really good, just look a bit numb
:o
Sent from my AT300 using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2013, 12:36:54 am »
Anyway has anyone tried heated gloves? My hands get cold even when the weather is not that cold.

Yep, I use the Gerbing heated gloves which, although expensive, are bloody brilliant! There's several posts about them on here from me if you do a quick search.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2013, 12:37:48 am »
I've considered the heated kit but when I looked closely it said not for use in the wet which is on use for me.

Which brand was this? What good is heated kit if you can't use it in the wet???

Stooby2

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - XJ900 Diversion 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2013, 10:04:36 am »
I've been using Daytona Hotgrips for years now, never had a problem with them...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daytona-hot-grips-inch-handlebars/dp/B0052DSKZM

The only slight drawback is that they don't maintain a constant temperature - you put them on "start" until they're well hot (they can get almost too hot to hold, even through gloves) then put them on "Run". They slowly cool down so that after about twenty minutes or so you have to put them on "Start" again. But they have thin bullet connects which means they thread through small holes easy enough, and just seem to be very reliable.

Combined with handlebar muffs over the winter (look crap, but on a 100K divvy 900 for work and back, who cares?) I had nice warm hands every day.

But I've put a pair of the Oxford Lites on the Fazer, and by comparison, they're crap. Even on full blast they don't get anywhere near as warm as the Daytonas.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2013, 10:05:48 am by Stooby2 »

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2013, 01:07:45 pm »

Yep, I use the Gerbing heated gloves which, although expensive, are bloody brilliant! There's several posts about them on here from me if you do a quick search.
Same on both counts  :)   Got me through last winter ok, -5 every day was no problem.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2013, 08:07:49 pm »
I have had a look at the heated gloves on the web today but the price!  Also not sure how tight my gloves would be with the heated kit on underneath.
If I bought a battery pack to power them I would never remember to charge it up and if I used the direct connection to the bike battery I would doubtless try to walk away from the bike whilst still connected to it.

I have refitted the handguards that I had on before and it looks like it will be back to winter gloves again.

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2013, 08:31:20 pm »
My choice is to use Handguards, Muffs, and heated grips (even cheap ones) and wear summer gloves all year round. The muffs are the key - waterproof and wind proof- the handguards stop the muffs interfering with the controls at speed.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2013, 08:27:19 pm »
I used Gerbings heated gloves for 5 years now, the only problem with them is that in 3 sets, they only last about a year before one of the elements packs in, and they are expensive! Cant fault them otherwise.

trudd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Sprint 1050ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2013, 10:49:40 pm »
Replace the heated grip controller with a simple switch.
If you want to get posh then use a 3-position switch and wire them up in series or parallel for 2 heat settings.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2013, 10:59:19 am »
I used Gerbings heated gloves for 5 years now, the only problem with them is that in 3 sets, they only last about a year before one of the elements packs in, and they are expensive! Cant fault them otherwise.
The electrics in the gloves have a lifetime warranty.  Think the controller is three years and the gloves (fabric/stitching) are one.

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2013, 11:01:55 am »
There were 2 distributors in the uk when I bought mine, one was apparently unauthorised. When I phoned Gerbing up they refused to honour the warranty as it wasnt from them (even though I had the original purchase receipt) which I think is pretty shitty.

They should be warranting the product, regardless of where its from, its the same product!

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
Tucano Urbano muffs are the business.
Just as effective as heated gloves but much cheaper and less likely to break

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2013, 10:00:05 pm »
Had the same problem with Oxfords. Bought the R&G ones (which are cheaper) and after 3 winters still going strong.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2013, 10:07:52 pm »
If you want top quality heated grips buy a BMW  :D