Date: 20-05-24  Time: 04:54 am

Author Topic: Diesel spillages  (Read 1303 times)

Bitfik

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Diesel spillages
« on: 30 September 2013, 07:11:19 pm »
Why is there so much diesel on the roads in wet conditions?

It scares the life out of me, but just how dangerous is it?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel spillages
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2013, 07:16:14 pm »

I was surprised how much diesel was on the roads recently on a wet day, how are all these vehicles still running & i can only assume the wet weather shows up the spills easier with the rainbow colours instead of being absorbed by the road & dust in hot conditions.
from others experiences it is like hitting ice but i dont plan on finding out, trouble is when i see some, especially on a roundabout i totally tense up & ride like an upright fanny & ive got a feeling all the tensing and unnatural riding doesnt do me any favours.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2013, 07:47:02 pm »
The oil and diesel is always there, and more being laid every day,especially where vehicles loiter,stop signs,roundabouts,traffic lights.

This lies low in the tarmac,between the chippings,absorbed into the tar but when rain is applied it dislodges and floats ontop of water, so for the first rain after a dry spell WATCH OUT!!!! it will generally dissapear with more rain and traffic.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2013, 08:06:57 pm »
The oil and diesel is always there, and more being laid every day,especially where vehicles loiter,stop signs,roundabouts,traffic lights.

This lies low in the tarmac,between the chippings,absorbed into the tar but when rain is applied it dislodges and floats ontop of water, so for the first rain after a dry spell WATCH OUT!!!! it will generally dissapear with more rain and traffic.
very scientific Bill...i was imagining you with your white cloak, plastic glasses & bunsen burner as i read that! :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2013, 12:45:16 am »

very scientific Bill...i was imagining you with your white cloak, plastic glasses & bunsen burner as i read that! :)
And rather high forehead
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2013, 08:03:25 am »
Yeah- as slim said, but after a couple of days of decent rain it gets washed away.
Although tensing up is the very worst thing to do its a completely natural response and one which racers have managed to dislodge from their brains!

I mentioned a while ago some tips for wet weather riding, but as we're getting to the wet(er) time of year here goes-

The funky chicken!

Yep, on approach to any corners make sure your speed is already suitable for the corner way before you get there and when closer to the start of the corner do the funky chicken, I don't mean go mad and try to fly, but just gently flap your elbows a little,
If there's little to no movement then you're too tense and this forces the bike to do something it and physics doesn't want it to do which is why it feels like you're fighting with the bike!
Doing the funky chicken relaxes the arms/ shoulders and your brain allowing the bike to do wat it should.

Its a fun easy thing to remember that works!

Stay safe!
Some say...

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2013, 09:50:58 pm »
There was a spill on a roundabout on the Selby by-pass on Sunday it went half way round I could see and smell it but had to cross it as I was taking 3rd exit could have been nasty. They must fill right up to the top and either forget the cap or not replace it correctly?