Date: 01-05-24  Time: 08:35 am

Author Topic: What size top box for a fzs600?  (Read 9467 times)

raff113

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
What size top box for a fzs600?
« on: 20 February 2014, 05:22:55 pm »
Hi all, I have decided to put a top box on my fazer but have one question with regards to size of the top box, I would be happy if I could fit one full face helmet in it plus some tools. Have been looking at 51l but looks huge imo.
What sizes of top boxes have you guys got on your machines? Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 05:24:07 pm by raff113 »
I don't like morning people...or mornings...or people.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: What size top box for a fzs600?
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2014, 05:38:08 pm »
Biggest one I could get.  Nonfango tuttoterrano.  No longer made but its big.  Panniers are crap for filtering so a top box was the answer.  At the time I had no car so needed carry capacity.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2014, 05:43:22 pm »
47L Givi box here, takes 2 helmets or 1 helmet and loads of shite with room to spare.

If you fit an old cargo net to the inside of the lid using cable ties and sticky pads then you'll be surprised how much you can organise & get in. Good luck fella.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2014, 05:55:55 pm »
Givi E63 went on mine.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2014, 06:06:08 pm »
Bear in mind that most of these top box racks are only rated for about 5kgs load. That includes the box! You can usually get away with a bit over that without any worries, but it's probably not a good idea to load them up with a lot of heavy tools. 45l is minimum on most makes to hold 2 full face helmets, or a helmet and textile jacket, so probably you don't want to go much smaller than that. Even a 29l box will hold 1 lid, but not much more.

If you then go on ride outs with that size box, everyone will be saying, can you fit my lid in there with yours?, when you stop at cafes etc and have to leave the bikes locked up while you stroll off :rolleyes :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2014, 06:46:11 pm »
I've had a few different size boxes over the years (ooh-er missus!)

Had a 29 litre on my tdm which was as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise! You can just about fit one lid and a pair of gloves, that's it! Got a 35 on my thundercat, and for me that's ample, but again, only one lid and a few bits n pieces.

My last fazer had a 45 litre Spada which was huge, and 2 lids could fit.
It all depends on what you want it for, personally I'd go for a 40, any bigger and you find yourself putting loads of crap in it, and risk overloading the rack.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

raff113

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2014, 07:07:30 pm »
I've had a few different size boxes over the years (ooh-er missus!)

Had a 29 litre on my tdm which was as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise! You can just about fit one lid and a pair of gloves, that's it! Got a 35 on my thundercat, and for me that's ample, but again, only one lid and a few bits n pieces.

My last fazer had a 45 litre Spada which was huge, and 2 lids could fit.
It all depends on what you want it for, personally I'd go for a 40, any bigger and you find yourself putting loads of crap in it, and risk overloading the rack.
That's exactly what iv been thinking, to go no bigger than say 38-40l. I only need it for an occasional trip out really, so space needed only for one helmet and few bits and bobs.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 07:08:22 pm by raff113 »
I don't like morning people...or mornings...or people.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2014, 07:20:20 pm »
I have a big 45 on my CBF 125, and it gets loaded up regularly. I put a 20l catsan cat litter stones in there, with beer and other stuff. It weighed about 20kg or more. Its fine. We worry to much about that shite in this country.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 07:35:34 pm »
Doesn't the weight limit depend on the rack? Givi recommend up to 10kg on their Monokey racks (which are the more expensive / sturdier ones)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2014, 08:24:45 pm »
Doesn't the weight limit depend on the rack? Givi recommend up to 10kg on their Monokey racks (which are the more expensive / sturdier ones)

Could be. I think the mounting bolts must be the weakest link/limiting factor. Except that some Yam FJRs had problems with weak subframes (think it was those, and maybe certain Busas) but don't think that'll be the problem with Fazers.

Adee, probably Givi etc are just covering their asses, but I don't think it's a good idea to go too over the top with it. Once in a while might be ok, but to do it regularly may create fatigue in fittings or rack. I really don't know for sure, but wouldn't want to be the one to find out - that's what we have guys like Christo for!  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2014, 09:50:10 pm »
I have a big 45 on my CBF 125, and it gets loaded up regularly. I put a 20l catsan cat litter stones in there, with beer and other stuff. It weighed about 20kg or more. Its fine. We worry to much about that shite in this country.
I wouldn't get too flippant with the weights, I've had one collapse, and the mounts crack on another rack. All this through carrying a lot of kit, and I carry a LOT of kit on my bike.

tom

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2014, 10:04:12 pm »
I use a givi monokey 33l topbox it only holds 1 helmet  but it does look better on the bike than the bigger topbox

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2014, 07:51:13 am »
I've broken 2 racks and one subframe overloading mine, my racks are all custom made now, and anything really heavy goes on the back seat.
Adjustable ROK straps are the best for strapping heavy stuff down!
Some say...

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2014, 09:19:56 am »
I had a givi E45 on my 125 so am looking at going for a fairly big monokey box on the fazer.

I can't get on the bike with stuff strapped to the pillion seat and hurt myself trying so I'm going for monokey to take the extra weight (my monlock box is only rated to 3kg). With the SR125 I could strap heavy stuff to the pillion seat and still get on so didn't worry so much.

I don't have a car so being able to go somewhere and lock a helmet and jacket up is so useful I wouldn't go much smaller.

cfoley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2014, 09:27:18 am »
I'm thinking of getting a custom rack made and the guy reckons it will take more weight than I am able to put on it... but I've seen a lot of posts on here about racks sold as accessories for the bike failing. People seem to swear by custom mare racks but what makes them intrinsically stronger? Aren't both kinds just metal and welds?

AndyL

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2014, 11:09:43 am »
depends where they bolt on to, possibly how far back it is and I think when you factor in the top box it's how strong the interface between the box and the plate is.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2014, 02:06:30 pm »
I have a Maxia E52. Worth the extra space, and it doesn't hinder filtering and doesn't look too bad imo

Kentish

• Club Racer
  • I am the man
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2014, 04:55:51 pm »
I am selling an almost new givi 37l monolock. It's a month old £80

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2014, 05:22:58 pm »
If you want a dainty, small topbox, get a scooter

Real men have the largest topbox they can find, and fill it with girders.
and grow awesome moustaches

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2014, 06:01:01 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a custom rack made and the guy reckons it will take more weight than I am able to put on it... but I've seen a lot of posts on here about racks sold as accessories for the bike failing. People seem to swear by custom mare racks but what makes them intrinsically stronger? Aren't both kinds just metal and welds?
It depends on a lot of different things. I used to make racks for forum members, and I still have one on my sons Fazer, my Thundercat and the FZ1. I used quite heavy duty steel for the mounts, and sometimes extra support is needed which isn't provided on 'off the peg' racks.
You wouldn't believe how much vibration and bounce occurs with a rack, and they overhang quite a bit too. (Laws of levers kicks in) So 5kg in the top box can be considerably more strain on the mounting to the bike, especially when its bouncing around. Something has to eventually give, normally at the weakest point which is just to the rear of the rear mounting bolt where the grab handle mount is.
And you REALLY don't want one to break on the move!!! It could have some nasty consequences.  :eek

RobG UK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2014, 08:03:17 pm »
if you accerate hard or emergency brake I would hope the grab rail woul;d have a damn sight more than 5kg in it.  My missus would be a very unhappy bunny.  As to racks and topbox if I stick a Givi with a Maxia on it, fill it with shite for the weekend and ride out with the chaps(and they don't hang about) with my missus using it as a backrest and can still scrape pegs and hit 120 (estimated theoretical speed) I do believe there is a lot of piffle being bandied about.

You will get some wobble due to the disturbed airflow but not much and you get used to it

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2014, 08:08:30 pm »
I have a Maxia E52. Worth the extra space, and it doesn't hinder filtering and doesn't look too bad imo

:agree

Kappa model (almost the same design, plastic, same mounting etc). K52,53 something.

And yes: heavy stuff goes into tank bag, or panniers/back seat if it's larger.   :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2014, 02:09:23 am »
if you accerate hard or emergency brake I would hope the grab rail woul;d have a damn sight more than 5kg in it. 

This is where the "law of levers" that stevierst mentioned comes in. The 5kg in the box with a poorly designed rack could well translate in to 50kg+ stress on the joints under extreme conditions

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2014, 09:17:10 am »
Anything heavier than me and I take the van  :car

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2014, 10:14:10 am »
Had a Renntec sports rack snap clean in half on me with a top box on, that proceeded to overtake me as i was slowing down, it makes a horrendous noise i can tell you!
The reason the weight limits are low, as i found out, are because of things like speed bumps.
I still use a couple of roads daily to and from work with speed bumps and if you don't take them cautiously then you get the contents plus the box jolting with a heavy down force that will eventually find or even create weak spots in the metalwork.
Add to that general braking and accelerating forces and you can understand why they keep the limits down so much.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.