Date: 20-04-24  Time: 02:06 am

Author Topic: Chain Oiler.  (Read 1512 times)

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Chain Oiler.
« on: 22 September 2020, 09:09:15 pm »
I decided to fit a chain oiler but wasn't prepared to part with the sort of money Scott and the likes wanted.
I designed by own and the cost was less than £20.
It comprises of a small brake fluid reservoir (mounted inside the fairing), a fuel tap and a primer bulb fitted to a piece of angular aluminium. This was then mounted on the horn bolt. The pipes were fitted using plastic sourced from a busted old top box I cut up for the project.
I'm using 15w40 engine oil at the moment and a couple of pushes of the primer bulb is more than adequate to lubricate the chain.
I might tidy up some of the fittings when I find the time.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Chain Oiler.
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2020, 10:41:48 am »
Nice work.
Does it oil both sides of the chain though, i can't quite make it out?

I use 80w90 oil on my chain, but i apply it with a brush. It is a thicker grade oil but it's still runny enough to use with one of these oilers.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
From what you've written this is an open circuit, i.e. the flow is only controlled by the fuel tap, which in turn flows though to the bulb.  What's stopping extra flow?  If something fails you are going to dump all the oil in the system all over the back wheel and looking at the size of the delivery pipe that's not going to take long :eek I can already see evidence of this in your 1st and 4th picture, from where you've been experimenting I assume.

You might want to give this some further thought before you go riding around  ;)

Later

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2020, 12:37:25 pm »
I’ve heard these work OK http://www.loobman.co.uk/
Might actually be cheaper than the DIY method.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2020, 06:36:31 pm »
At present it only works on one side but I have plans to use a 'Y' piece pipe splitter to eventually feed both sides.
With regards to dumping the contents onto the back wheel, I'm not saying it couldn't happen but previous evidence shows it is highly unlikely.  I fitted the same system to my previous FZS600 (I foolishly sold it but that's another story) and I never had a problem with it.
I turn the tap on and give a couple of pumps on the primer bulb and wait for 20 seconds of riding and then turn the tap off.
As you rightly say there is evidence of my experimenting but to be honest I was so pleased with my handiwork that I pumped the primer bulb four or five times which is excessive hence the puddle.
I don't leave the tap on constantly as there is really no need.
The last one I made was on my old Fazer for around five years and around twenty thousand miles.
As for worrying about the tap failing it would be interesting to know the MTBF for motorcycle fuel taps. I've done around twenty five miles so far and only needed to use it once and there is no leakage with the tap closed.
As for the Loobman they are good value for the money but a bit flimsy. I had one fitted to a diversion but the reservoir had a plunger type valve that failed after only 15 months.
Thanks for the concern and interest. I will keep you updated with an honest appraisal of how it operates, faults and all.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2020, 06:38:07 pm by 7omly »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2020, 04:01:56 am »

I bought one of these, which turned up a few days ago, and had no chance of really having a go at fitting it yet.
But i must say, the instructions are like something you'd see on Wallace & Gromit.
I'm sure it's probably as simple as anything once everything is in place, but when i first looked at it i was wondering if i had been given the first draft.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2020, 09:55:57 pm »
I had one of these and they are quite good. The poppet valve on the top packed up so I made my own.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2020, 10:05:53 pm »

I bought one of these, which turned up a few days ago, and had no chance of really having a go at fitting it yet.
But i must say, the instructions are like something you'd see on Wallace & Gromit.
I'm sure it's probably as simple as anything once everything is in place, but when i first looked at it i was wondering if i had been given the first draft.  :lol

😂😂