Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:13 am

Author Topic: Ran out of fuel today. Reserve? I don't understand on this bike.  (Read 14281 times)

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
The manual for this bike says 21 litres of fuel plus 4 for the reserve.[/size]My last bike was a suzy GS500E and the petcock had a reserve position.In the Gen 1 Thou is the something like this to switch over to reserve if you have run out of fuel?Fortunately when running out of fuel I had enough momentum to roll up to a guy shovelling dirt and woodchips into his ute and he offered me a ride to get some gas. We took turns on the shovel naturally.I have been very low before and put in 20 litres but where is that 4 I keep asking myself. By the way when I do refuel I stop the nozzle when the level hits the bottom of the tank inlet pipe.
where does the muffler go?

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ran out of fuel today. Reserve? I don't understand on this bike.
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2013, 09:13:10 am »
The tanks holds 21 litres of which 4 are the reserve, there is no valve to turn so really the tank holds 21 litres period. I think the reserve idea is when the fuel gauge light comes on. To be honest I have never had to pput in more than 17 litres but then I don't  want to run out cos theres large gaps between fuel stops out here!!

Tommo

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2013, 09:15:55 am »
There is no "reserve".

The fuel warning light comes on and you have around 20/30 miles to refill.

If you have not got a working light the you can blame the bike if you have then.....

The tank will hold at least 22.1 litres even when still running. I got that in mine when running on the light for 35 miles.

The pump cuts out to stop fuel overflowing - to fully fill the tank, pull the end of the pump out of the body of the tank and then dribble the last 2 litres in to brim the tank via the space in the tank neck. Yamaha say not to fill that high but I always did.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2013, 11:32:07 am »
Excellent guys. Now it makes sense.

I thought that 4 litres was hiding in a magical space in some part of the bike. That space was the void in my head!!!!

On a side note...........

Got to love the 8 to 10.5K power range in these bikes. I absolutely smoked a 675 speed triple the other day.

Older tech grunt Vs new age tech.

There is no replacement for displacement  :lol :lol :lol :lol
where does the muffler go?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ran out of fuel today. Reserve? I don't understand on this bike.
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2013, 02:48:45 pm »
There is no replacement for displacement
     Brilliant words mate
« Last Edit: 14 July 2013, 02:50:08 pm by Exupnut »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2013, 10:06:36 pm »
If you ride like a granny when the fuel light comes on you can easily get 60+ miles

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2013, 10:15:08 pm »
Got to love the 8 to 10.5K power range in these bikes. I absolutely smoked a 675 speed triple the other day.

Older tech grunt Vs new age tech.

There is no replacement for displacement  :lol :lol :lol :lol
May be so, but it is a lot more fun and satisfying smoking one on the 600 Fazer  especially when he has all the knee down antics.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2013, 12:50:02 pm »
The tank will hold at least 22.1 litres even when still running. I got that in mine when running on the light for 35 miles.
Next time you try putting that much fuel in, have a look at the puddle on the ground under your right foot. There is an overflow pipe in the tank, and it is there for a reason.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2013, 01:18:08 pm »
I 've managed to get 22.5 L in mine and guess what..... No puddles and haven't been arrested by the fuel police yet but, would really like one of your bollockings  too. :D

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2013, 02:34:08 pm »
I 've managed to get 22.5 L in mine and guess what..... No puddles and haven't been arrested by the fuel police yet but, would really like one of your bollockings  too. :D
22.5L in a 21L tank, you wont get a bollocking from me son! On the contrary, all I can do is bestow some of the awesome respect that you so clearly deserve for being such a hard ass that the laws of physics snivel and shy away when you approach. Would you mind sharing the name of the garage where you acheived this stunning feat of hard-ass-ness so that us mere mortals will know to avoid it for fear insulting your honour and dignity by inadvertantly attempting to repeat your heroic feat.   

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2013, 02:42:48 pm »
 :lol  Hmm, never really looked at it like that but thank you for the deserved recognition. :thumbup

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2013, 02:45:49 pm »
Ah, but when Yamaha say it's a 21-litre tank, are they leaving a bit of leeway because you're not supposed to fill it right to the brim? Plus, I don't know how they make the tanks, but would every single one be exactly the same capacity?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 July 2013, 11:16:37 am »
Think they use the same technique as glass blowing. So, if someone's got really big lungs, you're gonna get a really big tank. Now that's got me wondering, paulsmith, have you been using all that hot air to blow some oversized tanks. ?

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2013, 02:26:57 pm »
I think Yamaha are slightly more likely to use metal press forming then glassblowing techniques, but that said, a lot of teams at the TT races, after  they got their bikes through scrutiny, would use an airgun to 'pop' the tank, expanding it by an extra litre. Maybe a previous owner of your bike as done the same? Do your knee recesses bulge excessivly? Does your tank fit very badly?

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2013, 07:10:37 am »
I think Yamaha are slightly more likely to use metal press forming then glassblowing techniques, but that said, a lot of teams at the TT races, after  they got their bikes through scrutiny, would use an airgun to 'pop' the tank, expanding it by an extra litre. Maybe a previous owner of your bike as done the same? Do your knee recesses bulge excessivly? Does your tank fit very badly?

What a load of bollocks!  :eek

You have two people that have never even spoke to each other confirming they put over 22 L in their tank without overflow. Why do you continue to believe that Yamaha print the truth?

If you would care to press your theory I have a FZS1000 in the shop now and will gladly run it low and fill it in front of your very eyes. It will take at least 22 L and not a drop will be spilled - the loser pays for the juice.

With a pedantic streak like this, I reckon you must be related to my missus!

By the way, the 100 mph Yamaha put on the speedo ain't really 100 mph either... :lol

And I don't recall seeing any Fazers doing the TT either.  :rollin

Whale

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2013, 08:24:04 am »
Actually, on that you are wrong,,,

Where's that picture of the FZS 600 doing the TT now!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 July 2013, 08:25:13 am »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 July 2013, 08:27:03 am »
Oh yes! and excellent fuel economy to boot!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 July 2013, 08:27:57 am »
The original "do it all" bike!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 July 2013, 10:38:34 am »
Oh yes! and excellent fuel economy to boot!
Yeah, and no refueling stop necessary for the 4 laps  :lol
Just to end all the silly talk about tank size. :rolleyes
 Yamaha give the tank capacity up to the bottom of the filler neck (No 1 in the attached picture). Yamaha do not recommend filling above the filler neck as they say it is there to allow for expansion, but if you do it will take anothe 1 to 2 litres depending on the model.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2013, 03:15:22 pm »

You have two people that have never even spoke to each other confirming they put over 22 L in their tank without overflow. Why do you continue to believe that Yamaha print the truth?

If you would care to press your theory I have a FZS1000 in the shop now and will gladly run it low and fill it in front of your very eyes. It will take at least 22 L and not a drop will be spilled - the loser pays for the juice.

By the way, the 100 mph Yamaha put on the speedo ain't really 100 mph either... :lol

Whale
Ha! My dad can beat up your dad, and he can get 25L into a 21 litre tank.
Seriously though, the original theme of this thread was some one overfilling at the pump, and then someone else claiming they could get even more in. Because of the filler neck design, it is possible to put a little bit more in, but when you do, it comes out the overflow.

If you are unlucky enough to use a garage that overcharges for its petrol by using short measures, then unless you know how much you should be able to hold, they can get away with it for years. If you have the ability to drain and refill a tank with measured amounts. Why don't you do it and share the results.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2013, 03:33:55 pm »

Whale
Seriously though, the original theme of this thread was some one overfilling at the pump, and then someone else claiming they could get even more in. Because of the filler neck design, it is possible to put a little bit more in, but when you do, it comes out the overflow.

If you are unlucky enough to use a garage that overcharges for its petrol by using short measures, then unless you know how much you should be able to hold, they can get away with it for years. If you have the ability to drain and refill a tank with measured amounts. Why don't you do it and share the results.

Well not really, as they're relatively regularly checked by an independant service, and the fines for underselling petrol are huge.

Just as an arguing point I did do this with my ZX9R when i drained the tank of dodgy petrol, claimed capacity was 19L, and I got just over 20.5 in without a drop coming out of the overflow pipe.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 July 2013, 04:27:48 pm »
Usually fill mine to well up the neck, on side stand tho. Who's gonna try filling that far on centre stand, then leave the bike in hot sunshine? :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 July 2013, 04:31:37 pm »
Usually fill mine to well up the neck, on side stand tho. Who's gonna try filling that far on centre stand, then leave the bike in hot sunshine? :lol
It takes all sorts  :eek

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #24 on: 21 July 2013, 08:10:00 pm »

Well at least you are consistent - more bollocks!  :lol

The original post was about someone running out of fuel and not about overfilling which only became a point after you introduced it. Try to stay with us here eh?  :rolleyes

Secondly, you CAN fill the tank to the brim without a drop spilling down the overflow so that statement is also bollocks.

Someone else answered your third bollocks statement about short measures - trading standards measure them regularly

As for measuring the tank, there is no point as the answer will be "more than 21 litres" which was what I said originally and you then tried to make out was a fool for saying say so. I think you will find that a grasp of the facts is always advantageous when attempting to ridicule someone else's point of view. To do otherwise simply makes you look ill informed and rude.

As for filling up the tank and leaving in the sun (not your bollocks this time....), most people I know ride their bike away from the filling station after buying fuel - a couple of miles leaves an air gap as fuel is used.

I must say that you have impressive repertoire - there seems to be an endless stream of things you know fuck all about but are equipped to debate about at length.

The nights must just fly by in your house.... :z

Some advice to consider - when finding oneself in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.

I should know better than to argue with an idiot, they always bring me down to their level and then beat me with experience.

I give up - the world is flat after all.

Whale